No announcement yet.

Finally. First Buckboard Bacon is DONE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally. First Buckboard Bacon is DONE!

What a long wait that was, but ohhhh sooo worth it. I fried up a slice and gave the wench some. She immediately asked if there was more. Into the UDS this morning around 8:30 over Hickory at hummin away at 203 degrees. Around 11, I went out to check it and I guess because I didn't have a drip pan under it, the fat renderings hit the coal and we have flameage. Around 270 degrees. Removed bacon and got the fire back under control. Finished a little after 1 this afternoon with an internal temp of 142. On edit. I forgot to mention that about an hour prior to pulling, I gave the top a 50/50 mopping of pure maple syrup and water.

Just out of the foodsaver bag and after a quick rinse. Did a test fry. Spot on.

Right after I pulled it off the UDS.

Sliced up on the little Rival. Didn't skip a beat. Sliced some thin for breakfast bacon and some thick for sandwiches. Had to cut it sideways as it was too big lengthwise for the slicer, but in the end, it all worked out. Perfect size for the fry pan and between two slices of bread.

All sealed up, and into the freezer.

But not before I stole a few pieces to munch on. Fantastic stuff. Would take this anyday over the best store bought stuff. Man is it good. Next after this is belly bacon.

Well that's it. Thanks for checkin it out. Stay tuned for tomorrows smoke. Romanian Pastrami.

Figured I should show how it began. This is just a copy of the post I did last week.
    With a little help from Tas and Ritchee, I'm off on my first BBB.

First off, the pork. Untrimmed at 7# 2 oz.

Next step was to make a brine to inject under the fat cap. Used 1/2 C water, 2 Tbl TQ, 1/2 Tbl Paprika and 1 Tbl Molasses. Injected just under the cap and made 4 squirts in each hole.

The brine.

To secure any loose ends, I tied that bad boy up.

Next, to give it some color, I added some Paprika. Instead of just rolling it in it, I had a Martha Stewart moment. Put the paprika in my stainless cooking strainer and gently tapped the sides to allow it to "snow" evenly over the meat. Just like adding powdered sugar to a cake. Worked very well.

After shot.

Well why not try it with the TQ? Worked just as well. Nice and even spread.

After shot.

Now the hard part made easy. Stuffing it into a foodsaver bag 'CLEANLY".
    What I did was take the bag and roll the sides down halfway, that way I'm not fighting the whole bag, and the doubled up layer so to speak was a bit more rigid and easier to work with.

Inside.
    Once inside, just pull the sides back up.

Then I took any juices that remained on the cutting board along with any TQ that came loose and added that to the leftover brine and added that along with 2 additional Tbl of Molasses and 1 1/2 Tbl of Paprika. Kind of a thick slurry.

And here she is ready for nappy time in the fridge. This ones gonna take a nap for about 12 days. Stay tuned for the BIG SMOKE
    Last edited by Meat Hunter; 11-30-2010, 09:00 PM.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Lookin Jus need some bread an maters an lettuce and MMmMmmMMm! for your first! Oh forgot Mayo.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Out of this world! Awesome hook up on the BB! I'm diggin' it And inspired like a mo fo!!
      Thanks for sharing.
      Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
      Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Excellent BBB! I've yet to try it, but going to get after it soon. What recipe did you use?
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Ohhh ahhhh Bacon. Looks great. You just have to have that fat for good bacon.

Comment

nuff said
            2-22.5'' weber
            1-18'' weber
            1 smokey joe
            22.5'' wsm
            24'' smoke vault
            1-outhouse
            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
              Excellent BBB! I've yet to try it, but going to get after it soon. What recipe did you use?
              WHAT HE SAID!! MH - I would love to know your process. I'm kicking myself in the arse right now for not throwing in any BBB when I put my bellies under the cure on Sunday. Figured I would just wait and hopefully find some loins on sale and do some CB and BBB next... so give it up, brother!

for some damn fine look'en pig bacon!

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                What recipe did you use?
                Thanks for the points and compliments guys.
                Keith, I went ahead and copied the post I did last week and added it. Has the whole process and the ingredients I used.
                https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Nice job there Todd...but ya know that aint gonna last ya very long...better get started on the next batch
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

That finished shot of the whole bacon is fantastic. Luxurious is the first word that comes to mind. Great looking pork!
                    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Nice work, sir! Lotta smiles per butt making BBB!
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

nice job!!!!!!!!!
                        sigpic
                        it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Great stuff man! Now you got it wired, the sky's the limit.
                          JT

Comment

That looks fantastic, I'm gonna have to try and make this stuff, I've never had BBB before, or even heard of it until I saw it somewhere else,

GOSM
                            K.C.B.S Member # 60786
                            Digital Thermometers
                            Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
                            140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Great Job Todd!!!! I will need to do one of those .

Comment

Working...
                              X