goose jerky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goose jerky?

anyone ever made it? if so, what is your recipe? a buddy of mine is hell-bent on killing one and wants me to turn it into jerky. I would prefer a smoked goose, but it's his meat, his choice. lol.

anyway, I've going to be getting my electric smoker going soon (about 2-3 weeks) and figure that this, as well as cheeses, will be on the first menu out of this one. I have a general idea, but it's based off of deer and beef jerky, so i'm not too comfortable with it. any ideas?

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ht=goose+jerky
    Last edited by erain; 12-02-2010, 12:50 PM.
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Andy when I have done goose jerky I just use the breast meat...any regular marinade that you would use for beef is good...I add a little apple juice to sweeten it up a bit which I would never do for beef...I also only leave it in the marinade overnite...with beef I go for about 36 hours...

Goose jerky is good stuff
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

And it IS poultry. Cook accordingly.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

thanks guys... i'll have to look into it a bit more. gotta get the damn smoker built first. lol

Later,
          Andy
          Current babies:
          Former Lineup:
          -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

My buddy used to make it a long time ago & it was good stuff..... Should have payed more attention.... I do remember he used a little chief smoker & it had cracked black pepper on top....
            sigpic

Comment

i have made a ton of goose jerky. we have an early canada season in nodak an i always take full advantage of it. i usually make about 50-75lbs of a year.

i make whole muscle stuff and i was using hi mountain to make it with until i found this recipe. its the absolute best i have ever found for honkers. its not secret i actually just searched goose jerky on the internet a few years ago.

5 lbs goose breast, thinly sliced
              2 c. teriyaki sauce
              2 Tbsp tabasco sauce
              2 Tbsp liquid smoke
              2 Tbsp black pepper
              2 Tbsp garlic powder
              1 Tbsp meat tenderizer
              1 Tbsp Mrs. Dash
              1 Tbsp Red Pepper
              (i also add instacure to this)

tone down the hot sauce and red pepper for a less spicey flavor. I have also used course ground black pepper instead of red pepper. also use a somewhat thick teriyaki sauce, it makes the pepper stick better. I let it go anywhere from 48 hours to a week. longer it goes the better it is. I also let it sit in the fridge for a couple days before i eat any.

I have made it both in the oven and the smoker and its turns out great. try it out you won't be dissappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm70 View Post
                (i also add instacure to this)
                I'd say that's a very wise thing to do.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

As Norm 70 alluded, Hi-Mountain makes a few different mixes specifically for goose jerky. I haven't tried it but I've been pretty happy with their venison mixes. I usually recommend using a recipe or mix you are familiar with if you are trying otherwise new variables, i.e. smoker, wood, meat, etc.
                  sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

there in lis the problem... the only thing I am "used to" is laying the stuff in the dehydrator until it's rock hard. lol. i'm not sure how this guy wants it done yet... terriyaki, spicy, "plain", etc. im just gonna wait until he actualy kills one before i get too anysy about all this... it's been warmer up north than it has been around here lately.

Later,
                    Andy
                    Current babies:
                    Former Lineup:

Comment

Andy I would make it REAL spicy...that way when he doesnt like it he'll give it back to you
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

you're gonna do what with your jerky

GOSM
                        K.C.B.S Member # 60786
                        Digital Thermometers
                        Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
                        140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

When I have done it in the past I brined it in apple juice/apple cider/salt and water with a few orange peels in the brine. However I feel that if you make salami from the goose it is sooooooo much better than the jerky. In fact I prefer the goose salami over venison or beef salami any day of the week.

Comment

Working...
                          X