portable/temp smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portable/temp smokers

I'm going to michigan in a week and my brother in law loves ribs... I figured that I can buy the goods to build him a smoker up there, use it that week for a pork butt or something, then just stack the blocks until the summer when I can come back up and build it in with him. my plan is do do something similar to a whole-hog pit with cinder blocks and expanded metal... anyone here ever done this? i'll have to post a link online later tonight since I can't get on you tube at work.

I guess, what I am trying to get at is: does anyone have any links/pics/ideas for a simple and economical, yet practical smoker out of CMU and/or bricks? theirs will not get used nearly as often as mine, but if and when it does get used, it will be used hard. lol. hell... who knows? maybe he'll get hooked like i did and start going all out with it. only time will tell.

i am not looking for a whole-hog sized pit... just something big enough for maybe 6-10 racks of ribs at the most, or a couple pork butts. the other primary use for it will probably be a grill. in my experience/knowledge, a grill-smoker combo unit is not nearly as good a dedicated unit meant solely for smoking or grilling, but maybe someone has some ideas?

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Uncle Honky built one out of cynder blocks for a whole pig roast.... I will try to find it & bump it for you.

Check the New Years Pig Roast Thread

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...?threadid=6087
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah thats the one I was thinkin of...Scott beat me to it...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Think "Weber Kettle Indirect" on a bigger scale :{)

Where in MI??
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

thanks guys... that is exactly what I was thinking. i wasn't aware uncle honkey built one, but that is what I was thinking. we'll pretty much use one like that while i am up there in a couple weeks, then take it down and store the stuff until i am able to come back and mortar it all together next summer. the one in the summer will be a little different design, but i'm going to try to re-use as much of the original block as possible to reduce cost.

i'll be about 1/2 way between GR and Lansing... a little town called Pewamo. I used to live in Ionia.

Later,
          Andy
          Current babies:
          Former Lineup:
          -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

Ahhh right... OK. Forgot about that. Too bad it's not a bit closer!
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Ahhh right... OK. Forgot about that. Too bad it's not a bit closer!
              hell... i'm driving 750 miles the way it is... what's another 100? lol. we'll probably be taking a trip down to ohio anyway... maybe i'll have to come pillage your MH stash on the way back. lol

Later,
              Andy
              Current babies:
              Former Lineup:

Comment

'aight... WTF?!?!? i got my quote for steel parts in Michigan from Alro steel... over DOUBLE of what it is here in nebraska. again, i ask "WTF?!?!?"... anyone got any sources for steel?

I'm looking at getting about 20'-40' of 1x1x1/8 angle iron, a 4x8 sheet of flattened 3/4x9 expanded steel, and a sheet of 16 ga.

expanded = $80.00
                angle = 40.94 (40')
                16 ga = $94.25

once again WTF? is the steel market in MI that damn good? lol

any sources for some steel would be greatly appreciated.

Later,
                Andy

P.S. the price for my 4x8 sheet of expanded and 20' of angle here is about $50
                Current babies:
                Former Lineup:

Comment

http://www.yellowbot.com/pontiac-ste...ontiac-mi.html

Comment

if you go to cowgirls blog she built just what you may be looking for
                    sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                    members mark upright propane smoker
                    kingsford bbq
                    23"weber kettle

Comment

Originally posted by Jimh View Post
                      if you go to cowgirls blog she built just what you may be looking for

ditto this ....she built a good one....
                      Mike
                      Oklahoma City
                      22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                      Weber 22.5 Performer
                      GOSM 3405gw
                      Boomer Sooner Drum
                      Maverick ET-732
                      Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                      A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

that should do it. I am thinking that I will end up putting the coals on some blocks, rather than the ground, but we will have to wait and see. i have no clue how much snow they have now, or will have in a week. plus, i'm still not sure if we will do something that big. I might do a "mini" version so I can just do a couple pork butts for now... see how much he uses it between now and when we go to mortar it all together... worst case scenario, we just buy a few more blocks and make it bigger at that time.

Later,
                        Andy
                        Current babies:
                        Former Lineup:

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
                          'aight... WTF?!?!? i got my quote for steel parts in Michigan from Alro steel... over DOUBLE of what it is here in nebraska. again, i ask "WTF?!?!?"... anyone got any sources for steel?

I'm looking at getting about 20'-40' of 1x1x1/8 angle iron, a 4x8 sheet of flattened 3/4x9 expanded steel, and a sheet of 16 ga.

expanded = $80.00
                          angle = 40.94 (40')
                          16 ga = $94.25

once again WTF? is the steel market in MI that damn good? lol

any sources for some steel would be greatly appreciated.

Later,
                          Andy

P.S. the price for my 4x8 sheet of expanded and 20' of angle here is about $50
                          Give me a hollar when you get close. I'm only about 45 min south of GR. I can hook you up with good steel prices.
                          sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Originally posted by DangerDan View Post
                            Give me a hollar when you get close. I'm only about 45 min south of GR. I can hook you up with good steel prices.
                            i just might have to do that. thanks for the offer. i'll shoot you a PM in a minute.

thanks!

Later,
                            Andy
                            Current babies:
                            Former Lineup:

Comment

Working...
                            X