Canadian Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Bacon

Did some CB this past weekend. Was dry cured 11 days, partially because my outside frig got colder than I planned and a timing thing on my part.

smoked with Hickory to about 140 internal

this isn't a very good picture

Boy I could sure use a fancy dancy slicer

dude... that looks great... how'd you like it? crazy good isn't it...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jbchoice1 View Post
      dude... that looks great... how'd you like it? crazy good isn't it...
      Was well worth it!! wasn't so excited about it the first night. Of course the next day once the smoke settled itself in, was magical.

Comment

Nice job that! And I find the same thing with all bacons for some reason, as well as cheeses- let 'em sit a day or two.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Wow...this is something I am not brave enough to try yet.

Nice bacon, Kevin!!
          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
            Why's that SM? It's pretty durn easy as far as curing goes... make a post in the bacon forum...we'll lend a virtual "hand" all the way thru!
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice bacon, Kevin!!
              Becky, This was super easy. If I can muddle thru it anyone can.

The cure is much easier than you can imagine. and well, once you've got it cured, well you have smoking down pretty well. It's just a matter of smoking it. being patient enough to not try it till the next day.

next time krogers has it on sale give it a try. Morton's TQ is less than 5 bucks.

Go for it

Oh and btw, that new brinkman of yours is perfect to smoke the CB with
              Last edited by BigRedQ; 01-28-2009, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Nice lookin CB red! Tastey stuff, mine be ready ta smoke friday, then in another week the shoulder bacon be ready.

Becky, give a CB a try, it ain't hard at all! A bit time consumin cause yer waitin on it ta cure, but otherwise perty easy ta do! An ifin yall got any questions er concerns, ya know where ta come!
                sigpic

Comment

Sure looks good Red. I'll be asking some questions soon. CB is the next project.
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Why's that SM? It's pretty durn easy as far as curing goes... make a post in the bacon forum...we'll lend a virtual "hand" all the way thru!
                    I don't know why....I worry about timing and if I'll have time to smoke it after its cured. And then I worry about forgetting about it once it's curing and finding it months later.....

Originally posted by BigRedQ View Post

next time krogers has it on sale give it a try. Morton's TQ is less than 5 bucks.

Go for it

Oh and btw, that new brinkman of yours is perfect to smoke the CB with
                    I just picked one up this week (seems like they have been on sale a lot lately). Couldn't find the TQ at Alexandria...unless I was looking in the wrong place.

I am going to try this very soon though. I think I can, I think I can......
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

that my friend looks great. ;) I have one of those loins down in the deep freeze and I need to get it in the brine, I have made plenty of bacon but never the Canadian nor the buckboard. By the way, you do a GREAT job of slicing freehand, I don't think a slicer would improve your slices. :)

Comment

I don't know why....I worry about timing and if I'll have time to smoke it after its cured. And then I worry about forgetting about it once it's curing and finding it months later.....
                        Once it's cured... you can wait a week to smoke it :{)

Go to Morton Salt's website and either find a supplier local or order it...
                        http://morton.elsstore.com/view/cate...8-meat-curing/

Comment

I just picked one up this week (seems like they have been on sale a lot lately). Couldn't find the TQ at Alexandria...unless I was looking in the wrong place.

I am going to try this very soon though. I think I can, I think I can......
                          Becky, Critchfields has it. and hey it's right down the street from you. 2lb bag was less than 5 bucks. 2.49 or something like that.

Comment

Looks awesome Kev. Im gonna hafta get the b*lls to try that soon...Of course i'll be callin ya for help:D
                            Mike
                            Smokin' in Fla
                            Go Gators
                            My toys
                            sigpic

Comment

Well, I grew a pair. I picked up a couple of loins.

Here come the questions. Did you trim the fat off that's shown in the pic? I've seen some brined methods, but now you've got me wondering. How do you do the dry cure?
                              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              UniFlame Gas Grill
                              Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                              X