Pear...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pear...

what should I use it on? I checked the summary thread and it says that it's very similar to apple. should be great for pork cuts and chicken then... what about cheeses and jerky? obviously, these will be cold smoked (unless rich does them ), so how well will the smoke absorb in?

bottom line, i just got word that i'm getting some big chunks tomorrow morning for free and want to use it for good, rather than just waste it "experimenting"... however, free is always better than the $4 per bag of chips from walmart or ACE.

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

I have used Pear on both Chicken & Pork, it's good!
    sigpic

Comment

Let me know what you think of it...I have a chance to get some...but if its the same as apple...well...I dont care so much for apple...but thats just me...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

I have used it too...Nice mellow wood....I would usually mix it with oak if i needed a little more zing,but i like the medium/light smoke....

Prolly a little light for beef....I liked it with poultry and mixed(other woods) with pork....

Comment

that shoudl be fine... i don't do as much beef as I do pork anyway, so big deal.

I went and grabbed it... looks good. lots of branches 2" and smaller... can I burn th leaves too? I plan on removing as much as I can, but you never know when one may slip in.

Later,
          Andy
          Current babies:
          Former Lineup:
          -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
            that shoudl be fine... i don't do as much beef as I do pork anyway, so big deal.

I went and grabbed it... looks good. lots of branches 2" and smaller... can I burn th leaves too? I plan on removing as much as I can, but you never know when one may slip in.

Later,
            Andy
            If the branches still have leaves on then your going to want to age that wood..Especially if these are fresh trimmings off a live pear tree...Leaves are worthless outside compost etc....

Comment

i think the trunk pieces are still green smoewhat, but the branches are pretty brittle. I think the leaves that are there are just sticking since the branches were cut before fall. I dunno for sure, but we'll see. I will probably cut it up and store it in my garage this winter and just start using it in the spring/summer depending on how it turns out. I need to get the garage organized anyway this weekend... gotta be able to pull the wife's car in while we are gone.

Later,
              Andy
              Current babies:
              Former Lineup:

Comment

i think the trunk pieces are still green smoewhat, but the branches are pretty brittle. I think the leaves that are there are just sticking since the branches were cut before fall. I dunno for sure, but we'll see. I will probably cut it up and store it in my garage this winter and just start using it in the spring/summer depending on how it turns out. I need to get the garage organized anyway this weekend... gotta be able to pull the wife's car in while we are gone.

Later,
                Andy
                Sounds like a plan...Even if green the processed pieces will dry much quicker as you probably know.Come to think of it i do remember leaves hanging on branches along time... when i would trim orchards as a kid....Let us know what you think when you try..My pear came from an orchard on eastern shore i need to visit again.

Comment

yeah. once I get home, i'm going to clear a spot or two, and start chopping parts and pieces up. I can't wait to try it. it will be my first local wood that I will try. everything that i have used up until now has been the pre-packed bags from Walmart or other stores. convenient, but nothing to really write home about. i guess we'll just have to wait and see. depending on how the electric smoker works out, I may be trying out a handful of it on a rack of ribs or something.

Later,
                  Andy
                  Current babies:
                  Former Lineup:

Comment

yeah. once I get home, i'm going to clear a spot or two, and start chopping parts and pieces up. I can't wait to try it. it will be my first local wood that I will try. everything that i have used up until now has been the pre-packed bags from Walmart or other stores. convenient, but nothing to really write home about. i guess we'll just have to wait and see. depending on how the electric smoker works out, I may be trying out a handful of it on a rack of ribs or something.

Later,
                    Andy
                    Yeah...i stopped buying bagged woods 20 years or so ago...If i could verify source then no problem...The Last straw was when i used some cherry i had bought in a bag and the smoke started out yellow.I wasnt as serious about Q then,but still..

Didnt take me long to get sources all over place and i compete a lot in BBQ and tons of folk will bring different woods if i ask and they ask me etc...I got some of the best apple wood(1/8th of cord).. i have ever used from a competition in Maine last year...cant wait to use it on a whole hog

Not a bad idea sometimes to post a thread if looking for particular type etc...Large flat rate is like 15 bucks etc...I have gotten wood from 3-4 members over the years to try out that way etc...

Comment

Working...
                    X