Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailing pre-cooked ribs

Howdy folks!

I think I'm going to give out gifts of bbq this year, and some of it will have to be sent via the mail.

One of the items I want to ship, are ribs. Has anyone ever done this? What is the best way to prepare for shipment? I have a Foodsaver so I think that might help?

Thanks in advance for the assistance

Lang 48 Patio | Brinkmann gourmet charcoal water smoker
    Yellow Thermapen | Maverick ET-73 | Maverick ET-72
    sigpic

Originally posted by sumosmoke View Post
    Howdy folks!

I think I'm going to give out gifts of bbq this year, and some of it will have to be sent via the mail.

One of the items I want to ship, are ribs. Has anyone ever done this? What is the best way to prepare for shipment? I have a Foodsaver so I think that might help?

Cook them, vacuum seal them, freeze them. I do this all the time for customers. As far as shipping, which I haven't done yet... I'd guess that dry ice and a sturdy box should get them to their destination. Anyone?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I have recieved raw frozen meat packed on dry ice in a small sturdy foam ice chest...Dont know where you could get them though...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Another option is to send "hammies". Cure them- buys ya time for shipping.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

unless you cure them and send hamcicles

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I have some sturdy styrofoam coolers from Omaha Steaks that I can use in comb. with the dry ice.

Phil - how long does the frozen meat stay good?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Another option is to send "hammies". Cure them- buys ya time for shipping.
              Hammies .... I've not dabbled with the cure yet. Let's just say I'm a tad scared?

sigpic

Comment

I would think 2 days on about 8-10lbs of dry ice would be safe. It also depends where your shipping them to, those cargo planes get cOld so it's not like the cooler is in a 75 degree cab of a truck or something. Just let them know on the other end that if by chance it is thawed and soft to toss the ribs. You can ship a rack my way for a test run if need be
                Jerod
                GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                sigpic

Comment

Do ya need my addy for practice.I wouldnt be scared at all Like you said omaha steaks does it all the time.
                  2-22.5'' weber
                  1-18'' weber
                  1 smokey joe
                  22.5'' wsm
                  24'' smoke vault
                  1-outhouse
                  Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                  Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I have some sturdy styrofoam coolers from Omaha Steaks that I can use in comb. with the dry ice.

Phil - how long does the frozen meat stay good?
                    A long time if sealed properly. I've never been able to test the waters accurately, due to the product disappearing too fast!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Hard frozen will go about two days well insulated(styrofoam is good) Add dry ice and you'll easily buy another day, day and a half. Don't know about your area but dry ice is plentiful around here, they are even carrying it at Albertsons Super Market. If not look to your welding supply houses, the ones that carry gas cylinders. Just make sure that you insulate between the food and ice otherwise it'll burn your food. Shipped a lot of fish this way, never had a problem, cept when the baggage handlers at San Fran stole about 400 pounds of fish on our way back from Alaska(we got it back)
                      JT

Comment

You'd definately have to ship them. I've tried faxing them, and you'd think they would fit in the fax machine, but maybe they're a bit too thick. Same with emailling. Damn things just jam up when you push them in the disk drive. Just saying.....
                        Greg

*~*~*~*~*~*

King-Griller Akorn Kamado
                        Louisiana Grills Pellet Smoker
                        AMSPS & AMSTS

Comment

Ive sent ribs to my parents on dry ice over nite .In a foam cooler then in a card board box.Vacumm sealed.
                          Anything smoked is da bomb .

Comment

I'd be inclined to just add cure to your normal rub.
                            Very easy.
                            get some cure #1
                            weigh ribs. divide by half.
                            add cure for that weight to your usual rub and blend well.

That way once cooked cooled and vacpaked they'll be good for a couple of weeks - minimum. freezing not required.

they sell them like that in shops here - shelf life is measured in months.

Also bear in mind this time of year they'll be intemps at refrigeration levels anyway. postal depots and vans aren't usually heated.

If you want to try it out - you can send me 1/2 a rack and I'll tell you if they poisoned me :-) (I'll eat anything but green bacon lol)
                            Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-04-2010, 09:31 AM.
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Howdy folks!

did you need my addy???

i think cupla years ago i won some sterling silver BB ribs from another forum, they came in a lil cooler with a lil packet of dry ice in it, they were frozen rock solid yet... cant wait for dem ribs Laurel!!!
                              Charbroil SFB
                              GOSM
                              MES
                              Dutch Ovens and other CI
                              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X