Got the cheese done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the cheese done.

Well today was a good day for smokin cheese, about 32* outside and the pole barn blocked the wind for me for once. Just making these for stocking stuffers along with some small loin hams which my wife just picked up a couple pork loins today, I'll get them in their cure bath tomorrow. I picked up a cut of london broil yesterday just over two pounds and weighed two pounds after trimming. I tried the wine in the mix this time but my jerky seems to lacking in the sodium dept. this time. A real nice feature about my smoker is the upright side always runs between 75 and 100 degrees cooler than the main chamber which is perfect for making jerky and cheese at the same time. I was running the main at 150 and the upright stayed 60 to 75.......PERFECT.

Even though I kept the low temp in the upright I tried a bit of high moisture colby/ monterey jack, It started rich'n on me after 1/2 hour and the rest stayed on for 2 1/2 hours no problem.

Already wrapped the cheese, just need to vac pack after I make some labels.

Gotta make another trial batch of homemade crackers in the morning, got some different flour ( courser grind) and should come out alot better than the last batch

"Rich'n"....

What kinda wood do you prefer Lee?

It all looks great & like the Red wrap!
    sigpic

Comment

Outstanding lookin' cheese & jerky The recipients of those homemade goodies will remember them for along time.
      sigpic
      New Braunfels Bandera
      New Braunfels Hondo
      4-22.5" Weber Kettles
      1-26" Weber Kettle
      24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
      Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

LOL yeah good thing I checked it when I did, it would would of riched all over the place. Really, it just started flattening and seaping through the screen. I just used lump and a few apple chunks.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        "Rich'n"....

What kinda wood do you prefer Lee?

It all looks great & like the Red wrap!

Comment

Great looking batch of cheese and jerky, Lee.

Love your grates - what is the size of that separated, and where did you get it?

Thanks

Comment

I bought this a few years ago. Got a tip from someone at smurf whoe seen the ad on the smokepit site. I was real close to the seller and called him right away. I couldn't sleep the night before I picked it up. It a Pitts and Spitts brand out of Houston TX. I still need to make some tuning plates but it smokes real nice.
            It's about 16x20

Comment

Hey Lee lookin good there. I am sure this has crossed your mind but maybe try like 4 pieces of charcoal and chunk of wood to smoke the cheese.
              If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
              Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Man white cloud...You rock when you roll brother....Beauty man....

Comment

Richin'...

...heheeee!! That's a good one!! I believe you have invented a new term in the cheese world!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

nice job.

I've got a couple big lumps of cheese in the fridge to chop and smoke - even bought myself a cheesewire yesterday. Now just need the weather to warm up a bit lol

Very interested in the 'homemade cracker' thing.
                    Let us know how and what when you get that cracked (where's the 'groan' smiley :-)
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I tried another half batch of crackers using a different flour. The 1st batch was a fine rye flour and the crackers were too dense. I tried some medium whole wheat and they were better but not good enough. I think the prob is the oil in the recipe so today I am trying some using butter with some baking soda. When I get it right I'll post it in the flour forum.

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      nice job.

I've got a couple big lumps of cheese in the fridge to chop and smoke - even bought myself a cheesewire yesterday. Now just need the weather to warm up a bit lol

Let us know how and what when you get that cracked (where's the 'groan' smiley :-)

Comment

Very nice, Lee.

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                        ...It started rich'n on me...
                        for penning the new term!
                        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                        Pink Thermapen
                        Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          nice job.

You right He's on it!...Do like me cheese wire doofer I bought when I was in England...
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Great Looking Jerky and Cheese Lee...

Comment

Working...
                            X