Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig Slaughter II - Maken the Bacon - bellies in the beast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pig Slaughter II - Maken the Bacon - bellies in the beast!

Today marked soak day number seven on the bellies using a dry cure of Mortons Sugar Cure, BP, and garlic powder which started here:

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11304

Pork Bellies

Cure applied - 1 T Morton's per pound, + 1 T BP + 1 t Garlic powder per belly.

Out of cure

Fresh water soak - I soaked these bellies four times in cold water for 30 minutes each, changing water on each soak. Bathtub seemed my best option..

Fry test... two pieces cut in half to fit the pan. Sliced a little thick... wasn't worried so much about that as I was the salt. per me and the family, these were spot on, so I pulled them to hang and dry overnight.

Bellies hanging in the belly of the beast.

According to my notes last year, I cold smoked with hickory for 10 hours, let them rest a day in the smoker, then sliced. That's what I'll be shooting for tomorrow.

Notes to self: I used Morton's Sugar Cure this year that was "smoke flavored" instead of TQ that I used last year. WHY? I guess it was because Sugar Cure was what my grandpa always used to use, so I wanted to give it a try... I got stuck with the "smoke flavored" because that was all I could find. I'll admit, I was a bit apprehensive.. but man! this bacon is noticably better than last year with no "smoke flavored" coming through - I think that's good.

Salt - I sliced and test fried a batch after the third soak. I put the bellies back into their fourth fresh water soak as I fried. When the bacon was done, it was spot on perfect, but as I ate the last bit that had cooled after I pulled, dried, and hung the bellies it did seem saltier... If anyone else out there has experienced this, lemme know. I figured that after the fourth soak they should be good.

I suppose I could have gotten a little more creative on the seasoning, but with this being a once a year project, I'm just enjoying doing it and can't wait to have some hickory smoked bacon next weekend for breakfast!

I'll have updates as I smoke and slice over the next few days.

Adding in the smoking posts
    Here's this morningings update:

Started a few hickory chunks and little pieces in my chimney. FIRE!!!!

The hickory bath - couldn't waste a cold smoke, so I picked up 5#'s of sharp cheddar at Sam's yesterday and will give them a couple of hours this monrning with the bacon. I have o'l WALLE set at 80*, we'll see if that's enough to keep the fire hot and the cheese solid...

Adding in the Sliced posts

Okay, here's the wrap up:
    I smoked the bellies last Sunday, giving them 11 hours under the hickory.
    I let them set in the smoker until Monday night, then wrapped them up and let them set in the bottom of the fridge until this morning. I set them in the freezer to stiffen up, then started slicing.

Smoked bellies

Sliced shots

First belly

Second belly

Third belly

Final take

Thank you for checking out my bacon project,
    Tracey
    Last edited by WALLE; 12-11-2010, 12:19 PM. Reason: Pulling it all together!

Tracey , nice looking bellybacon man ya done good I tried that smoke flavoured cure once and my bacon was terrible , looked all gray and brown and never did turn pinkesh even after curing and smoking , I still have that cure , but I guess I should toss it , as I sure won't use it again , hope yours turns out great .
    sigpic
    homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

Tracey, looks & sounds great! ..... I gotta find me some bellies & give this a try
      sigpic

Comment

Tracey,This whole project is Impressive to me.My Cousin called today,He had a heifer break a leg loading her so we will be butchering her next weekend Sausage material and steaks coming up!
        sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Posts like this make me think so many things. For instance, I need a much bigger smoker, a third refrigerator and friends who have the same interests as me so I can learn a thing or 2! Awesome stuff man!

Comment

"Smoke Flavored" is all Sugar Cure is made in, Walle. You may want to be judicious in application of real smoke, just in case. You can always hang themin the smoker for a while longer/add more. Heck, if ya like it, leave one out and just let it free-air dry a few days.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks like you got everything under control, Tracey. I'm anxious to see how that turns out.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Tracey, looks & sounds great! ..... I gotta find me some bellies & give this a try
                Thanks, Scott!

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
                Tracey,This whole project is Impressive to me.My Cousin called today,He had a heifer break a leg loading her so we will be butchering her next weekend Sausage material and steaks coming up!
                Right on! Looking forward to that for sure.

Originally posted by ALX
                yougo pig.....keep in it..you hogs eatgin all dhat...Looks likee a bit..BassHog...leave him a scrap..orrr two...:{
                ALX - While you were outta town, I think Slanted broke in and commondered your SM password.... Thanks, man.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                "Smoke Flavored" is all Sugar Cure is made in, Walle. You may want to be judicious in application of real smoke, just in case. You can always hang themin the smoker for a while longer/add more. Heck, if ya like it, leave one out and just let it free-air dry a few days.
                Thanks, Rich - Yep they are getting 10 hours of hickory love today. Thanks for the info on the MSC. I was worried about some sort a "artificial flavor" coming through and it did not.

Originally posted by T-bone Tim View Post
                Tracey , nice looking bellybacon man ya done good I tried that smoke flavoured cure once and my bacon was terrible , looked all gray and brown and never did turn pinkesh even after curing and smoking , I still have that cure , but I guess I should toss it , as I sure won't use it again , hope yours turns out great .
                Sorry to hear that, Tim. So far, this batch seems to be doing good, but I got it:
                Bacon: Shouldn't be gray or brown.
                Pancetta: Shouldn't be green...

Comment

Here's this morningings update:

Started a few hickory chunks and little pieces in my chimney. FIRE!!!!

The hickory bath - couldn't waste a cold smoke, so I picked up 5#'s of sharp cheddar at Sam's yesterday and will give them a couple of hours this monrning with the bacon. I have o'l WALLE set at 80*, we'll see if that's enough to keep the fire hot and the cheese solid...

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Wow points again for sureI have to try this
                    2-22.5'' weber
                    1-18'' weber
                    1 smokey joe
                    22.5'' wsm
                    24'' smoke vault
                    1-outhouse
                    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                    Smoked meathead #135

Comment

cant wait to see the skiced pictures!!! eemmmm, there will be sliced pictures rght??? lol i know there will, you will finish this off right i am sure!!!
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI
                      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                        Wow points again for sureI have to try this
                        Thanks, Bill!!

Originally posted by erain View Post
                        cant wait to see the skiced pictures!!! eemmmm, there will be sliced pictures rght??? lol i know there will, you will finish this off right i am sure!!!
                        Will there be sliced pictures?!! Hells YEAH! Thanks Erain!

Can you say hickory smoked sharp cheddar CHEESE?

two weeks Guess I'll have a hickory smoked cheddar cheese pancetta sandwich sometime next JUNE!!!

Here's the cheese after two hours under the hickory.

Had to write myself a warning note lest I got into the suds one night over the next two weeks...

Comment

Okay, here's the wrap up:
                          I pulled it all together in the first post, trying to make it easier to follow along!
                          I smoked the bellies last Sunday, giving them 11 hours under the hickory.
                          I let them set in the smoker until Monday night, then wrapped them up and let them set in the bottom of the fridge until this morning. I set them in the freezer to stiffen up, then started slicing.

Smoked bellies

Sliced shots

First belly

Second belly

Third belly

Final take

Sorry about the disorganization of this post!! Maybe I'll go back and get it all under the first thread...

Thanks for checking out my bacon project,
                          Tracey
                          Last edited by WALLE; 12-11-2010, 12:21 PM. Reason: Pulled it all together in the first post

Comment

lol thread layout works for me

One thing I've found with bacon cures. It is seriously much better if you make your own.
                            I don't have to soak any of my cured meats as I only use the amount of salt I want in the final product. I make ham fairly sweet and bacon fairly salty. But using a #1 cure and then adding seasalt just means you get it right first time and no buggerng about once it's ready.

And it's as easy as measuring spices into grinder - grinding spices.
                            Much less effort than buying something you're going to add to anyway and spending 4 days soaking :-)
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

That's some great looking bacon, Tracey. Guess it was worth the effort.
                              sigpic
                              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Working...
                              X