Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first BuckBoard attempt. Wish me luck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first BuckBoard attempt. Wish me luck!

So since I FINALLY got me some of that infamous Tender Quick after a search of the greater Chandler area I can now begin my buckboard experience!
    Here are some pics. More to come in several days!

I used a 9.5lb bone butt. I started by trimming the fat cap and other junk.

I cut it in half next to the bone and then sliced that half in half. I then deboned the bugger. What a pain. That made 3 more pieces.

I know a lot of people seem to keep it as a whole butt, I just didn't want slices that big and want the smoke flavor and spice to come through. Had it been boneless then maybe I would have left "well enough alone".

I kept it simple more or less. TQ with brown sugar, garlic, and CBP. After I taste this one I will begin try flavor variances.

Thanks for stopping by!

Looks like you are off to a great start!
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Hell Yeah! ..... Try something a little different.... I Like It!
      sigpic

Comment

As a sausage maker, I'll make that first cut- getting the large boneless cut and use that for bacon/shoulder ham, and cut up/debone the rest, saving it and the fat cap for sausage.

Yer gonna like that bacon :{)
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

man thats looking like a good start from here. looking forward to the final product. good luck
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

This is just one more thing I haven't tried yet. So many things to do, so little time. Looking forward to the finished bacon.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Great start there. You wont need luck. Looks like you got it covered.
              JT

Comment

Very cool... I need to keep this in mind through out the year as it is almost impossible to find bellies around here.

Looks great. I can't wait to see the final batch.

Comment

yer on a roll...............
                  sigpic
                  it's all good my friend..........

Comment

that is gonna be some good bacon , waiting for the finish
                    sigpic
                    homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      As a sausage maker, I'll make that first cut- getting the large boneless cut and use that for bacon/shoulder ham, and cut up/debone the rest, saving it and the fat cap for sausage.

Yer gonna like that bacon :{)
                      I have a grinder on my Christmas list. Until I get one I toss most of the fat. Working on getting a vacuum sealer now, then a scale and so on. By summer I should be making sausage!

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                      This is just one more thing I haven't tried yet. So many things to do, so little time. Looking forward to the finished bacon.
                      I feel ya on the so many things, so little time! I see stuff on here and I am jealous! I haven't even eaten a 1/4 of the items presented here let alone made them! Not to mention I am so behind on kitchen tools its just silly.

Comment

Good luck on the BBB. I know its gonna turn out awesome.

Remember, you can get two different flavor profiles out of it when slicing. Sliced thin, you get a real good bacon flavor, cut thicker, you get more of a ham flavor. I cut mine both, thin for bacon for breakfast, and thicker cut for making sandwiches
                        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I ain't jumped into the deep end of the pool with this gig! I wanna...time is me enemy right now...Get On it....i'm sure it'll be allright!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I finished this last week and just now getting around to posting the results..... I been slackin!

All the pieces after a 4 hours smoke.

Cutting up some bacon!

Tasted a hell of lot better after smoking it!

Comment

Awesome job!That stuff looks Stellar.
                              sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Working...
                              X