carbonade flamande

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbonade flamande

when i began my research for this, i ran into a lot of crossover between french and belgian cuisine. this makes sense, for belgium is the bridge between the north-east region of france and north-west germany. wiki listed carbonnade de boeuf (beef stewed in beer) as a hallmark of the cuisine in the nord-pas-de-calais (artois, flanders, hainaut) and picardie regions. in belgium, the dish is called carbonade flamande. wiki's description is virtually an exact enumeration of the components for the french version:

A carbonade flamande[1] (or ŕ la flamande[2]), in Dutch Vlaamse Stoverij or Vlaamse stoofkarbonade, is a traditional Belgian sweet-sour beef and onion stew made with beer, and seasoned with thyme and bay.

The type of beer used is important, and traditionally an Oud bruin, Brune Abbey beer or Flanders red is the beer of choice with a somewhat bitter-sour flavour.[3] In addition to this and to enhance the sweet-sour flavour, just before serving, it has a small amount of cider or wine vinegar and either brown sugar or red currant jelly stirred in.[4][3]
    It is often accompanied by frites or boiled potatoes.[5][3]

The term carbonade may also refer to a dish of grilled pork loin and certain beef stews cooked with red wine such as Beef bourguignon in the south of France[6], but is more commonly associated with the Belgian dish.
    here's the recipe:

Carbonade Flamande

Ron’s Notes: This is a very old, very basic, farmers dish from the region where Belgium, France and Germany come together in northern Europe. It is plain, rustic fare that is in keeping with the people and their ways - farming, beer making, not much time for fuss and frivolity. Very simple, yet very good! You can make this entirely in a Dutch oven, or you can do all the prep work in other pans and then braise it in a Dutch oven or earthenware crock.

You Will Need:

◦Butter and/or extra virgin olive oil for frying
    ◦4 to 5 large onions
    ◦3 to 4 pounds beef chuck, bottom round or other cheap cut of beef
    ◦1/4 to 1/2 cup flour
    ◦2/3 cup white balsamic, or you can use white (or red) wine vinegar
    ◦6 to 10 cloves garlic
    ◦1 tbsp dried thyme, or 2 tbsp fresh thyme
    ◦4 to 5 bay leaves
    ◦3 to 4 beef bullion cubes, to taste
    ◦Sea salt and Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
    ◦2 bottles Belgian beer

Prep Work: Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Slice onions thickly (perhaps 1/2 inch) into disks. Trim of most of the fat from beef and cut into approximately 3-inch by 2-inch chunks and put them into a bowl. give them a modest shale of salt and freshly-ground black pepper, stirring to coat. Measure out flour into a bowl or cup. Pour 2/3 cup of red wine vinegar into a bowl or cup and de-cap beer bottles. Crush and peel garlic cloves and put them into a bowl with the thyme, bay leaves, bullion cubes, salt and pepper. Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons butter and/or olive oil in a wide skillet or sauté pan to high, but back off a bit of it starts to burn. Alternately, this recipe can be made entirely within a cast-iron Dutch oven.

Summary: Toss onions into pan and sprinkle a bit of salt on them to help release moisture. Sauté until well-browned and caramelized on both sides; if the disks come apart into rings, don't worry, but try to keep them whole. Remove from heat and place half of the onions in the bottom of an earthenware crock, reserving the remainder. If using Dutch oven, simply put the onions in another container and set aside for now.

Add a bit more butter and/or olive oil to the pan. When hot, add meat and sear on all sides, it will take some time to cook the moisture down; stick with it! Just when you are about to give up, the real majority of the moisture will get cooked out and the meat will get well-browned on all sides and the liquid will reduce into a wonoderful, flavourful, thick hot mess - you will also start to get browned bits in the bottom of the pan. Place meat on top of the bottom layer of onions and sprinkle the flour over the meat. If using Dutch oven, put meat in a container and set aside for now.

De-glaze the pan or Dutch oven with the red wine vinegar or white balsamic, stirring well to lift all the brown bits from the pan. When the vinegar has reduced down to a thick, caramelized liquid, drizzle it over the beef in the crock. If using Dutch oven, remove from heat, place half the onions on the bottom and stir them around to mix with the deglazed liquid, then place meat on top of the onions. Sprinkle the flour over all, along with the garlic, thyme, bay leaves, bullion cubes, salt and pepper. Spread remaining onions on top and pour in the two bottles of beer.

Cover crock or Dutch oven, making sure that some steam will be allowed to escape, and place in oven at 325 degrees for half an hour, then reduce heat to 300 degrees for two-and-a-half hours.

Remove from the oven and remove the cover. Sauce should thicken while standing. If necessary, heat uncovered until it thickens to desired consistency. Carbonade Flamande should be thick and rich, like a stew or gravy, with little remaining liquid. Serve with potatoes cooked your favorite way, noodles or dumplings, along with your favorite vegetable, as well as a good beer - Belgian, if possible. Don’t forget to have some sliced, crusty warm bread for sopping up the sauce!
    and here's the method. it's very easy to make with the simplest of ingredients:

since then, i have tried versions using white balsamic vinegar, white wine vinegar with a little brown sugar added, different beers, antelope rather than beef, etc. all have been very good, and the basic method is the same.

brown onions and set aside:

sear beef until well-browned and all moisture has been cooked out:

deglaze with wine or balsamic vinegar, then layer beef and other ingredients above and below the previously-carmelized onions, and

add a good belgian beer:

cover and braise low-and-slow in the oven until the meat is fall-apart tender:

and the gravy makes a perfect sauce for the meat and whatever you serve it with (mashed or roasted potatoes seem to work best):

more details on the history and origins of this dish as well as preparation tips and results from people who have tried it can be found by following these links:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards....onade-flamande

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards....onade-flamande

this is regional peasant eating at its finest, and similar version with only minor variations can be found all over europe. if anyone tries this, i'd love to hear about results.
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 11-02-2012, 12:53 PM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

St. Sebastians Abbey brown. ;{)

Damn..I'd never make this. I'd drink the beer and eat the meat raw ;{)

On edit..NOT the Blue Moon...heh...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Never tried it, but rest assured, I WILL. Looks awesome. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the tutorial. Great post Tas.
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

thanks, guys!

rich - blue moon was simply the closest thing i could get to belgian beer in our little town at the time i made it. since then, i've found new belgium 1554 to be an outstanding choice for this recipe. i strongly recommend both the recipe and the beer as it should be found in any area with a town larger than 5000 citizens.
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
          rich - blue moon was simply the closest thing i could get to belgian beer in our little town at the time i made it. since then, i've found new belgium 1554 to be an outstanding choice for this recipe.
          Hmmm - damm...I'm lacking. I will look for that. I love a Belgian! Thanks for the tip!
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

you may find this interesting, both as a beverage and as a component of this historic belgian recipe:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards....-new-favourite
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Wow. Lookie that head and color. I need some. Will look- thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                thanks, guys!

rich - blue moon was simply the closest thing i could get to belgian beer in our little town at the time i made it. since then, i've found new belgium 1554 to be an outstanding choice for this recipe. i strongly recommend both the recipe and the beer as it should be found in any area with a town larger than 5000 citizens.
                What, no Beltian White in Chinook? I thought Belt was a one horse town
                sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Sheesh, the layer of flavors in this dish has got to be off the wall! Very nice!
                  Keith

Comment

mule - we can get it in havre, but not chinook. i was going to recommend it as well, but i haven't yet tried t with this recipe! my guess is that it would work perfectly, and the next one i do will have some beltian white!

king- it definitely is some good eats, as they say. give it a go and if you have any quesitons, be sure to sing out!

alx - hair pie? not sure what it means but it must be good, judging by the drooling!
                    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Awesome man......

Comment

tas, nice job, looks like a great cold weather meal!!!!!!!!!
                        sigpic
                        it's all good my friend..........

Comment

That really looks amazing. I want it. Thanks!

Comment

definitely a must for cold weather. if anyone does try it, i'd really be interested in hearing about results!
                            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

I just hadto resurrect this thread because I made a batch of this lovely stuff today....folks you have GOT to try this. This stew blows my Guinness stew right out of the water...fantastic stuff!

sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Working...
                              X