Cold smoking with a GOSM ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold smoking with a GOSM ?

I have a GOSM gasser, and after seeing and reading some of the posts on smoked cheeses, I'd like to give this a try. The question I have is, can I do this with my GOSM gasser, or do I need to get something like the A-Maze-N ? I'd rather not end up with melted cheese all over my smoker, I think I've seen that somewhere

GOSM
    K.C.B.S Member # 60786
    Digital Thermometers
    Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
    140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

I do mine "Ghetto Style" with a cardboard box above my smoker with the cheese on a rack.... It really works good..... Do you have some way to set something like this up? ..... Not sure how or where your smoker vents, but if you can figure out how to direct the smoke (pipe it?) into a box, you can Git 'r done.....

sigpic

Comment

i tell how i did mine i just soaked some wood chips and then mixed with some dry chips and placed in a pan or cast iron pot and just applied a blow torch to get them going and just stuck in GOSM and let it go...when the smoke stopped just went out there and hit it again with the torch .....thats about it...this is how i did it and i havent got any bad cheeses yet...
      Mike
      Oklahoma City
      22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
      Weber 22.5 Performer
      GOSM 3405gw
      Boomer Sooner Drum
      Maverick ET-732
      Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
      A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

hey fish how u like that cookshack smoker...those things are built pretty nice and even better their built in oklahoma.....pricey suckers tho....i have seen a few around but wouldnt think way up in your neck of the woods....and that is a " ghetto setup " but whatever works huh
        Mike
        Oklahoma City
        22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
        Weber 22.5 Performer
        GOSM 3405gw
        Boomer Sooner Drum
        Maverick ET-732
        Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
        A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post

hey fish how u like that cookshack smoker...those things are built pretty nice and even better their built in oklahoma.....pricey suckers tho....i have seen a few around but wouldnt think way up in your neck of the woods....and that is a " ghetto setup " but whatever works huh
          I love it Mike..... It is built like a fricken tank for sure.... I happened across this one on CL the morning it was listed & it was only 10 minutes from my house, so I had to have it..... I would eventually like to get the larger model for hanging sausage in (I currently use an MES).... But you are right, they are pretty spendy units..... But I have yet to hear anything negative towards them, their construction or electronics.
          sigpic

Comment

Rich did something with a coffee can in his gasser. I think he lit a couple of coals and then added wood. That Amazin Smoker looks like the cats ass.
            sigpic

GOSM/propane
            UDS (Cam)/lump
            22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
            Weber Genesis/propane
            Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

[QUOTE=Fishawn;162011]I do mine "Ghetto Style" with a cardboard box above my smoker with the cheese on a rack.... It really works good..... Do you have some way to set something like this up? ..... Not sure how or where your smoker vents, but if you can figure out how to direct the smoke (pipe it?) into a box, you can Git 'r done.....

Mine has a flat vent on top of my smoker, I could give this a try.

doctor phreak, that's not a bad idea either, I guess I can try them both, and see which one works best for me.

Thanks guys for the input, this site rocks

GOSM
              K.C.B.S Member # 60786
              Digital Thermometers
              Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
              140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

I would go with 3 to 4 chunks of charcoal. which should maybe get you nowhere higher then 100 degrees. If it does crack the door a wee bit. Put them in the wood chip box and you should be fine.
                If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

If for some reason those methods don't work for you try a cheapo electric hot plate.

http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-.../dp/B000690WNU

Works good in an SnP.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11130

Good luck.

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
                    Rich did something with a coffee can in his gasser. I think he lit a couple of coals and then added wood. That Amazin Smoker looks like the cats ass.
                    I AM intrigued by that A-maze-n unit...

Yeah, the coffee can shot fulla holes and a couple hunks of lump, some wood and the waterpan inverted over it all works well. Understand it's an "ex-gasser". I gutted it... leaving the "well" for the can, etc. The chafing dish heater and a hunk of wood over it...well... it works well till eventually it catches fire and cooks yer cheese
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I use the can & soldering iron method in my GOSM ...

Comment

I just light about 3-4 briquettes.Put a couple chunks of wood on and let it rip.
                        sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Continuing on this thread... I have been reading up on smoking up some cheese in the Gosm. That said, I have a few questions for an opinion. I can certainly use the briquettes and chunks as an option in the iron smoke box. I do have the large Amazen smoker as well but considering the ambient temperature has been running around 25° I am not sure the smoker temps will be high enough.
                          I could light the burner but have not modded the smoker and am afraid it will run too high. An idea I have been kicking around would be to load the existing water pan or a larger aluminum one with sand or salt (If I remember correctly salt retains heat longer) then use the Amazen smoker to generate smoke. I am thinking if it was preheated to say 100° that it should stay warm enough for 2 - 3 hours. Any opinions on using this method? I have to wait for Santa to allow me access my new toys but am pretty well prepped for future projects. I want to start with some cooler items then will increase temps for other items on the same day. Time to roast the nuts, and then on to the meat. Should be a 2 or 3 day event if I get my time off from work; thats the plan at this point anyway...

Comment

To get your temp down with out a mod. Try turning off the smoker slowly and watch your flame. I have down this and got mine down to 90 Degrees. The other option would be turning your tank off in the same fashion.
                            If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                            Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Hmmm why would you want to pre-heat anything? Heck...if you can smoke at 40°- perfect!
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X