Northern Pike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Pike?

I'm hoping to resume some ice fishing for pike this winter now that I've got a little more time available. Haven't set a tip up in over ten years, shame. Anyway, looking for any good recipes for this particular fish
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
    I'm hoping to resume some ice fishing for pike this winter now that I've got a little more time available. Haven't set a tip up in over ten years, shame. Anyway, looking for any good recipes for this particular fish
    Well I'll be hitting the Pike here shortly. As far as regular cooking goes, I love em cooked with Shore Lunch. Otherwise, maybe give pickling them like Herring. Erain has a good recipe for that, maybe shoot him a pm if interested.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Pickled northern is always a hit, especially with the smaller fish that you don't want to bother getting the y-bones out of. The vinegar soak will dissolve the bones.

Comment

Poor Man's Lobster
        Chunk up in bite size pieces, boil in Sprite, when they float they are done. To serve dip in butter like you would lobster. Besides the price, can you tell the difference?
        This is a simple no fail recipe, I highly suggest trying it!
        --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
          Poor Man's Lobster
          Chunk up in bite size pieces, boil in Sprite, when they float they are done. To serve dip in butter like you would lobster. Besides the price, can you tell the difference?
          Where did you get that recipe from? Never heard of doing this, but I'm game to give it a try. We have what is called Eelpout here. AKA, the poor mans lobster. Using Pike is a new one on me, but they are abundant here and I'm always open to trying something new.
          https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
            Poor Man's Lobster
            Every one around here refers to ling as a poor mans lobster. Never heard of the sprite trick though. That is a keeper idea.
            sigpic

Comment

well i still will take a walleye over a pike, but there are some lakes that do have some tasty pike in them. and winter just makes them better. the cold water does it.

one kind of neat thing to do to get the nicest meat possible, when you catch a fish you are gonna keep... have a fillet knife handy and nick up the gills some so they will bleed out really nice.

Jim, you need a pickled fish recipie just let me know...
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                Where did you get that recipe from? Never heard of doing this, but I'm game to give it a try. We have what is called Eelpout here. AKA, the poor mans lobster. Using Pike is a new one on me, but they are abundant here and I'm always open to trying something new.
                Read about it at one of the hunting and fishing sites I belong to about 8 years ago. Have made it a few times over the years, even have served it at family get together's both as a meal or just for h'orderves.

I would think just about any fish would work well but in the upper midwest walleye seems to be the most wanted fish by majority preference and when catching a northern pike they are more of a pain to mess with and clean, thus this recipe seems to be a crowd pleaser for serving them.

I must admit it has been a few years since I have had them this way and kind of forgot about the method until I read this thread and a light bulb lite up in my wife's head when I mentioned a northern pike recipe was being requested.
                --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

fish cake are very good and easy to make though I have no sepcific measurments
                  Take 2 lbs of fish northern or hering grind it up I use the food prosesser
                  4 eggs and a little heavy cream
                  salt and pepper andd allspice to taste
                  I sprinkle in bread crumb to get a nice sticky consistency but not to many
                  my uncle and his cousin fight over the use of garlic in them I lke them both ways
                  I feel one could put just about anything he wanted in this .I had some left over salmond the other day and made them and added some mad hunky to the recipe and there was nothing left after dinner

oh yea once mixed up spoon into skilet with a little hot bacon gease or butter flatten into small patty and fry to a golden brown you will love them
                  sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                  members mark upright propane smoker
                  kingsford bbq
                  23"weber kettle

Comment

i make most of my northern on the grill nowadays. Just put in foil on a 400 deg grill and cook about 5-7 min. i will mix olive oil salt and pepper with it.

otherwise if i coat and deep fry i do this
                    1 package shore lunch
                    2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
                    crushed crackers
                    egg wash

put in egg wash, coat with mixture of cajun and shore lunch. dip in egg was again, roll in crushed crackers. put in the deep fryer til it floats.

i perfer northern over eyes in the winter. but any fish outta a cold lake is good.

for those of you that only pickle northerns or throw them back here is method i use to y bone them, who knew some guy would do a web cast on it!

http://www.why-fish.com/

Comment

Wow alot of ideas, I never cared much for pike except at a shore lunch ( everything tastes good ) I really should hit the ice again and think about it every year, probably been over ten years and I used to go out almost everyday. Thanks for all the ideas folks.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                        Wow alot of ideas, I never cared much for pike except at a shore lunch ( everything tastes good ) I really should hit the ice again and think about it every year, probably been over ten years and I used to go out almost everyday. Thanks for all the ideas folks.
                        Guess we are in the same boat here, as far as our time away from the hardwater. I really do miss it, but my two friends who I fished with moved away. Ice fishing isn't for everybody, so haven't been able to get going again. Even have a brand new 10 year old Jiffy ice auger sitting in the garage.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'll do it if you do, and will share pics. I'll probably just go out for a mess of perch unless I hear the walldogs are hittin good somewhere.

Guess we are in the same boat here, as far as our time away from the hardwater. I really do miss it, but my two friends who I fished with moved away. Ice fishing isn't for everybody, so haven't been able to get going again. Even have a brand new 10 year old Jiffy ice auger sitting in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                            I'll do it if you do, and will share pics. I'll probably just go out for a mess of perch unless I hear the walldogs are hittin good somewhere.
                            both a you fellas, if you can get out there. is a blast and the fish are of a higher quality and better tasting from the icy water. it dont really matter the fish, bluegills,crappies, perch,pike, northern,or even trout... i mostly fish for walleye on lake of the woods, or up to canada for lake trout, last ice for giant pike again on lake of the woods, and then if i got time in between may target some of the other species on smaller lakes closer to home.

some pike piks

and dont get me wrong when i said i prefer walleyes, northern pike still are fine eaters as well.
                            Charbroil SFB
                            GOSM
                            MES
                            Dutch Ovens and other CI
                            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Nice pics Erain. Yeah I miss it. the last few years I did get out was for walleyes. seemed right at dark and then again around 11 pm was pretty good. We would move into about 6-8 feet later at night. And I used to be like you with no gloves most of the time but now my fingers really get cold easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X