Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not multi meat - but definitely multiple cold smoke !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not multi meat - but definitely multiple cold smoke !

Cold smoking today, weirdly the warmest day for the last 3 weeks lol

Doing 3 lb of mature cheddar (the white cheese), 3 lb red leicester (the orange cheese), 2 x 1.25 lb rounds of brie (serious deal £3 ($4.50) for the 2 !

Top left is a slab of pancetta that's only had a week drying, I figure I'll give it 5 hours smoke and then stick it back in the fridge for another week or so, if nothing else it'll make my workshop fridge smell great !

Top right we have a pound of paprika in 3 foil tubs. And about 12oz terricherry peppercorns in the other two foil trays.

I stir the stuff around in the trays quite regularly. Doesn't matter if they get warm so I can sit them over the coals :-)
    After smoking it gets put back in the original container and shaken. Anything that's not well smoked sonn acquires it from the rest.

The cheese are for christmas food parcels, pancetta and spices for me :-)
    I think I'm looking forward to the smoked brie the most, never done that before.

The smoke comes from a few pieces of charcoal just out of sight bottom right - I'm using bay tree wood and apple should be mild and aromatic. The charcoal on the left is presorted for quick addition to the smoke pile. Just makes it easier when you have to nursemaid the small charcoal burns.

Still haven't got the right consistency wood chippings for the maze smoking type gig. :-(

Lunch was a brattie sarnie.
    Made these last week. Basically the recipe from charcuterie without the added pork fat (1/2 pint of heavy cream and 2 eggs in 4 lb meat - wtf does he add the pork fat )

These are pork and pigeon (3 1/2 lb pork 12 oz pigeon).
    2 each on a fresh cooked ciabatta :-)

And that's today, so far :-)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-11-2010, 09:29 AM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Man that's makin me hungry. Gotta get on the cheese before it warms up here.
    Thanx for the inspiration.
    JT

Comment

I can smell that goodness from here! Just don let that cheese do a Ri...Naaaa.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

lol I'm keeping a close eye on it :-)
        That is one advantage of the tiny fire method. You tend to check it very regularly !

Got about another 45 mins to go.
        Temps below 75, looking good

Might throw in a tub of italian herbs once the cheese is out.
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Wow! Thats enough cheese to keep ya plugged up for a spell eh?

I've hoarded a lot of cheese, I've just been too lazy to smoke it lately. Yours looks really good... I think I'm getting hungry.
          sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Looks great!! Man, I wish I could find brie around here for that kind of deal....love the stuff, but it's soooo spensive....around here, it's about $4 for a 4 oz. wheel...

I need to get after some cold smoking....just can't make me do it in the snowstorm we're having.

Comment

lol yep been hoarding for a couple of months.

I like to buy cheap mature cheddar from costco and then leave it in the fridge for a couple of months to mature a bit more :-)

The brie I only got on thursday - special christmas offer.

I know, I know it's french. But The english somerset brie is way more expensive and definitely not for giving away !

Everything else is english :-)
              Attached Files
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

CA, wow - what a great load in the smoker. I've got bacon I'm trying to slice, cheddar that has one more week in the fridge, and pancetta for which the finishing instructions have been typed and included in my Will...

I'll surely be asking you some questions on the pancetta when it has finished curing. Smoking it, eh... damn that sounds GOOD!

Regarding your paprika, I can't tell is it is already ground, or not?? Guess I've never seen "unground"... I'll bet the smoke bath really kicks it up a notch.

thanks for sharing!

Comment

ground paprika - no idea where it comes from (sorry rich) but probably hungary (rich knew that). It's bulk spices from costco.

I usually smoke the pancetta after a couple weeks drying in the fridge. But as I was cold smoking today and only had the one slab of pancetta (rest was sliced to bacon) I thought - why not :-) It's not like it's getting too warm. Damn sharp wind out there.

Anyway, cheddar and leicester is done:

And yes I'll clean the black crap off (from the smoker lid) before I cling film it.

I'll keep it in clincgfilm for a week or so and vacpack before putting into food parcels. And I'll probably have to test a few bits as well

I've left the brie in for another hour. Also moved it up next to the pancetta.
                  It didn't get much smoke where it was and given the mold crust it has I figured I'd give it that bit longer.

This might not be correct approach - ask me in a week
                  Attached Files
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

CA, dude you got it goin' on
                    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Right nice!... Like the variety...
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

nice sort of items to cold smoke...need to do some of those spices havent done that yet...
                        Mike
                        Oklahoma City
                        22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                        Weber 22.5 Performer
                        GOSM 3405gw
                        Boomer Sooner Drum
                        Maverick ET-732
                        Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                        A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

great looking smoke........never thought of brie.
                          sigpic
                          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

lol nope the brie thing was kinda spontaneous. Saw the deal and thought: 'I could smoke those !'
                            :-)
                            Got another week till I'll know if it worked or not.

Right here's the last couple of pics.

The pancetta after 7 hours with bay and apple. I's back in the fridge for another week And I'll probably chop and vacpack for the food gifts.

My workshop fridge with the smoked goodies. The weird lump halfway down is 5lb boneless pork leg being cured up for christmas gammon.

The paprika and pepper stayed in with the pancetta for the full time.
                            Pepper didn;t seem to smell much different but you can't smell much after a days smoking. So probably pretty good.
                            The paprika definitely smelled smokey, and that was with my smoke ruined sense of smell. So that should be good stuff

Going to leave the cheese alone till next week, update on the brie then.
                            But the fridge does smell great

(I know, it needs beer)
                            Attached Files
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

That looks like a good smoker load, Alex. I'm going to try smoking cheese one of these days.
                              sigpic
                              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Working...
                              X