This is Ole Fashioned Home Cured Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Ole Fashioned Home Cured Bacon

When I was a kid we had our bellies smoked by the butcher at the slaghter house and he used a wet cure and smoked for 3 days. I do it about the same.

Bellies were brined using Kosher salt, brown sugar, maple syrup and Prague powder #1. I am using my normal mix of hickory, cherry, pecan and apple wood to smoke them.

Here are the bellies upon arrival. I got eight total but two went to another smoker and dear friend at work as soon as I got home. He also dropped off a nice 1950's vintage frigerator for me at the same time. Great guy!

Here are the bellies after trimming them

All the 5 bellies tucked inside the smoker and ready for a 2 to 3 day smoke.

Here are the 5 belies after the first day of smoke and begining the 2 day.

Here they are end of day 2 ... I let the last of the wood burn out on it's own and went to bed.

All done! Man did it smell good! Nice and firm and not sloppy.
    Out of the smoker and ready to bag ...

Cut up in big chunks and ready to seal ...

I really like my bacon firm and dry. Just to give you an idea of the shrinkage here's the before and after picture

Had to try some after sitting in the cold smoker all night they were well chilled. I had a sammy on Italian raisin bread. It was great I even had two!

and that is how Mom makes bacon ...
    Smokers:
    ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)
    SunJoy horizontal with left side firebox (aka - Lefty Lucy)
    River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg (aka Black Egg)

Smoke preference:Combination of Charcoal, Hickory, Apple, Cherry & Pecan wood.

Wow is that awesome!

Comment

DeeJay rockin the bellies! Very nice work. I'm smoking 4 bellies tomorrow. Lots of cool bacon threads right now.

Thanks for sharing Debi!
      Keith

Comment

Deb that is some fine looking bacon, looks like you are set for a while...

Comment

..... Good to see you here
          sigpic

Comment

Wow they look great.

And you make it sound so easy.

I'd like to try it one of these days if I can get all the details worked out.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

that's some bacon!
              sigpic
              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Thank you gents. It was perfect and I am always fussing about something I should've done different.

Thanks for the welcome as well. Sorry I don't get in much but you can't imagine the amount of emails I answer and question on multiple forums I have to answer as well. I have been even answering questions lately on facebook! LOL

Anyway if you haven't tried smoking your own bacon you don't have any idea what rel bacon taste like. I quit eatting bacon for years because it just tasted like crap. Store bought bacon is just sliced fat with a little meat on the side. Wraping it around food and smoking it takes it to a better level but it's still not the same.

Dave - bacon is easy! Soak and smoke that's it! I use charcoal to keep the wood smoldering and if you can slice the wood into discs instead of splitting it - it'll go for hours. I really am a huge advocate of a wet brine and injecting the meat. It's easier to control the salt. To much salt can over shadow your bacon. Try it hon you'll be amazed!
                Smokers:
                ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)
                SunJoy horizontal with left side firebox (aka - Lefty Lucy)
                River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg (aka Black Egg)

Smoke preference:Combination of Charcoal, Hickory, Apple, Cherry & Pecan wood.

Comment

Glad to see you over here, Debi! Especially nice to see your great bacon post.
                  sigpic
                  Smoke Vault 24

Comment

You Dang Sure on it Mam! Thanks...ain't done this gig yet...Gonna hafta ask the Lady up the road at the Butcher Shop if she can get me some belly....
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Hey Deb...I've ask you before and Ill ask you again...Please adopt me...Ill call you Mom...I will...

Nice lookin bacon...I dont know if I could keep temps that low for that long with my stick burner...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Very nice Deb, well done!
                        --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

They look awesome. well Done...
                          Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Wow, that looks great, thanks for sharing

GOSM
                            K.C.B.S Member # 60786
                            Digital Thermometers
                            Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
                            140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Wow, as allways Deb you rock thanks for showing your talent
                              2-22.5'' weber
                              1-18'' weber
                              1 smokey joe
                              22.5'' wsm
                              24'' smoke vault
                              1-outhouse
                              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Working...
                              X