500 gallon smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 gallon smoker

this smoker has been parked behind my parents church (i grew up there) for about 6 years. Two weeks ago i asked the pastor if i could have it. he said yes. I am the owner of a large metal piece of junk, that will soon be a super primo mega smoker

The tank is in good condition. the fire box is totally rusted out. the fire box is integrated into the trailer so i will scrap the trailer also. anyway it pulls like a jointed rapala with square tires!

I have a cousin in Waycross Ga. who is a welding instructer at the tec college who will be helping me. i plan on a new tandem axel trailer which he can fab for me. i suspect it will pull better that way.

Here is my question where should i put the fire box? I hve seen many pics of 500 gal smokers with a side fire box but i think with that sized tank that the fire box side would be an inferno and the far side would be cool. I can put another belly fire box on it but that cuts the ground clearance.
    Attached Files
    Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

That's not a trailer, it's a giant roller skate! No wonder it pulls like crap.
    But that tank is a great start. can't wait to see what you guys do with that. Keep us posted.
    JT

Comment

Good Lord (pun intended) that will make a nice smoker! Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Oh Yeah! You done good Padre!... Church Socials will be kickin chicken!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

yup i just tried to back that thing up fou thr first time. what a joke! I've been backing the boat in since i was 12 and this thing made me want to say bad words. the front axel is pivoting so when you turn the front half of the trailer and the back half go different directions.

it's a good thing there is no video
          Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Originally posted by PreacherRodgers View Post
            Here is my question where should i put the fire box? I hve seen many pics of 500 gal smokers with a side fire box but i think with that sized tank that the fire box side would be an inferno and the far side would be cool. I can put another belly fire box on it but that cuts the ground clearance.
            I missed this on my first read, you may want go back over the homemade smokers forums and look at reverse flow builds, where the firebox is mounted at the end of the smoke chamber. Don't know if you'd have trouble with temps on somethin that big but a bunch a folks here use the reverse flow rigs.
            JT

Comment

i should have prefaced those coments by saying I have never smoked on anything that size so i am only guessing/wondering.

Comment

Good Luck PR! ..... Got a BIG chamber for sure...
                sigpic

Comment

Nice find you will be smoking for the whole church soon
                  sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                  members mark upright propane smoker
                  kingsford bbq
                  23"weber kettle

Comment

stand it up like a blunt nosed missle & have a multi level vertical smoker w/ firebox on the bottom on a 2 wheeled trailer.
                    more efficient,smaller storage space, & all that drippage. think the mother of all uds smokers but w/ a side mount firebox.
                    brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                    18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                    cast iron Hibachi
                    22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                    & rotisserator
                    12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                    stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                    Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                    http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                    my music recordings-
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by PreacherRodgers View Post
                      yup i just tried to back that thing up fou thr first time. what a joke! I've been backing the boat in since i was 12 and this thing made me want to say bad words. the front axel is pivoting so when you turn the front half of the trailer and the back half go different directions.

it's a good thing there is no video
                      like trying to back up a wagon???
                      brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                      18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                      cast iron Hibachi
                      22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                      & rotisserator
                      12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                      stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                      Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                      http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                      my music recordings-
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

blues, it is exactly like trying to back up a wagon
                        I'm afraid if I turn it on end it will be too tall to haul. it is 10 feet long

Comment

Have you considered keeping the fire box in the center, but rather than directly under it you could mount it so the bottom of the fire box is the same level as the smoker? And have the vent tubes welded in at a small angle? And use "expired" propane tanks to maintain the "Tank" look? Just ideas. I am no PRO by any means and not familiar with these things. Just makes sense in my head!

Comment

P.S. If I can back this up, whats your excuse?

This is one of the more fun pieces of equipment I have had the privilege to operate. Well, when the boss isn't around anyway! Top speed is over 30mph, has suspended axles, cab AND seat so you can really get to it. This thing can take a serious beating.

Comment

if you say you can back it up my hat is off to you

Comment

Working...
                              X