Sweet Hushpuppies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Hushpuppies

I don't have pictures of these as it's been awhile since I made them at the lake and didn't think to take pics. Since Rich requested a recipe, thought I'd post it now and add pics later.

Sweet Hushpuppies

1 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup yellow corn meal
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 cup very finely chopped onions
    1/2 cup very finely chopped green bell peppers
    1/2 cup very finely chopped green onions (tops only)
    1 egg, beaten
    oil for frying (I deep fry)

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper. Mix well
    breaking up any lumps. Add the onions, bell peppers, green onions and egg, stirring until
    thoroughly blended. Note: Mixture will be very dry at this point, but it will get moister as it
    sets. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours, but no longer than 3 hours or the batter will get
    too moist.
    In a large skillet over high heat (or deep fryer)) heat oil to 350°. Drop batter by tablespoons full
    into the hot oil and fry in batches until cooks through and dark golden brown on all sides, about
    5 minutes total, turning at least once.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Dern good recipe!.. On it, like some Japs in it...Uhh...Hunky Cat Daddy! Just in case ya dint knowed it...keep a jar of water with some oil in it....after each scoop & drop...run dat spoon in da jar...dem puppies won't stick! Pic's please...he heee...
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Ahhh why thank ya sir. Those sound delicious!

88- you mean while scooping into the fry pot I assume? Makes sense :{)
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Ahhh why thank ya sir. Those sound delicious!

88- you mean while scooping into the fry pot I assume? Makes sense :{)
        Yep...Spoon in the water/oil....scoop & drop...in the fry oil ...do that on each scoop...it works....Reckon ya need some Mad Hunky in that gig!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
          Yep...Spoon in the water/oil....scoop & drop...in the fry oil ...do that on each scoop...it works....Reckon ya need some Mad Hunky in that gig!
          My next batch will have Mad Hunky in it. They'll just be better with the addition.

Rich, be advised that this recipe makes quite a few hushpuppies. Don't worry though, they go pretty fast and are still good if reheated the next day.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Im gonna make these, they sound good, thanks for sharing the recp

Comment

Hot dang diggity dog!! Well all be... Those puppies sound spectacular. I am all over this gig Keith. Thank you for sharing the recipe
              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Yum.... That could make the Cornbread Hall Of Fame!
                sigpic

Comment

Sweet Hush Puppies

Just in time for the yellow perch season
                  Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the recipe, Keith!

Gonna have to give these a go with the last of the Pelican Lake bass I got.. err.. maybe you got it, but it's in my freezer!

Comment

Working...
                    X