Broke in a new smoker today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke in a new smoker today

Kinda wished I had taken a few more pics of this one .

Long story short My bosses son inlaw built him kind of a cool smoker 3 years ago and cause of technical difficulties it has never been used. they could never get the fire under control I finally decided it was time to figure it out and actually it was quite easy,as soon as i fired it up it was obvious.''I think'' he had taken a burner out of a natural gas stove and was trying to use propane. very wild flames anyway .so after removing said burnerI replaced it with a turkey fryer and walla no problems.nice even heat ran her for about 4 hrs yesterday maintaining just about any temp I wanted.I went home last night and stuffed 15 lbs of highmount.crackedpepper and garlic summer sausage adding 1.5 lb wild rice and 10 lbs of lems S.S
    fired up the smoker this am and went to worksmoking.Kinda long winded for a short storyAnyway heres a few pics.

He built the box frame out of 2x2 s insulated the frame lined it with chickenwire then coverd each wall one at a time with conc.thing weighs like a million pounds but like I said its actually pretty cool and I dont think Minnesota weather is going to affect it at all once you get it warmed up.it was 4 deg this morn.
    I started out running 2 water pans this morning mainly for a heat shield took one out after a couplehrs once i figured out i needed a little more heat and i didnt want to crank it up worked out well with one

loaded her up

half way through maintaining temps great now I ran thermos through the top we will drill holes for them later

heres a pic of the finished product one of em anyway.My boss ended up with all the little ones and 2 of the big ones.and a well working smoker
    not a bad deal for him at all

next wk before we take off 2 wks for the holidays I'm going to fire her back up and show everyone in the office what a good smoker can do for ribs and beans cant wait
    2-22.5'' weber
    1-18'' weber
    1 smokey joe
    22.5'' wsm
    24'' smoke vault
    1-outhouse
    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
    Smoked meathead #135

great job getting the beast up and running

wonderful looking sausages

man the guys and gals at work got it good!
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Do you get to keep it or is it staying at he shop? Either way if you can smoke while working would be nice. " Hey boss this is low and slow" Triple time you say......................

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
        Do you get to keep it or is it staying at he shop? Either way if you can smoke while working would be nice. " Hey boss this is low and slow" Triple time you say......................
        Nope it'll stay at his place but thats only 2 min.from shop and he would love to have it running everyday all winter
        Pretty good guys to work for we put in 12-16 hr days all summer and stay on the payroll all winter to find em fish smokem shit and get ready for the next big push
        2-22.5'' weber
        1-18'' weber
        1 smokey joe
        22.5'' wsm
        24'' smoke vault
        1-outhouse
        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

damn Bill , that is some great lookin sausage , pretty kewl smoker too
          sigpic
          homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

Nice all around!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Always great breakin in new gear. That one looks like a beauty. Are you just using the bottle valve or an inline valve to control temps?
              sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Very cool smoker and nice looking ss

Comment

Beautiful work!
                  Keith

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
                    Always great breakin in new gear. That one looks like a beauty. Are you just using the bottle valve or an inline valve to control temps?
                    Theres an inline valve but we are going to replace it with a needle valve
                    2-22.5'' weber
                    1-18'' weber
                    1 smokey joe
                    22.5'' wsm
                    24'' smoke vault
                    1-outhouse
                    Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Very nice doins, well done!
                      I especially like the thermos in the snow.
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                      X