Grilled Lobster Tails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grilled Lobster Tails

First off, I'll state that I don't have pictures so those that say it never happened, well, I'll have to take that.

Secondly, I will say that they were excellent! Lobster out this way is Very expensive so it's not on the table too often. Even at these prices, it's still a little steep but I figured WTH.

I'm glad I did. I split the shells and cut the meat down to the belly plate and butter flied. I made a compound butter with lemon juice and some ground cilantro. I left the butter as a paste (like I put on turkey) and brushed it on the meat. Then, I put them on the grill at 450 meat down. I grilled them for 10 minutes or so then flipped to shell down for another 5-6 minutes until opaque.

That was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. I've always loved lobster but with the grill, a little smokey taste and WOW! We also had some boiled and then pan seared ravioli with some balsamic vinegar as well. It was just the right meal at just the right time.

The funny thing is, the kids saw the tails and wanted nothing to do with them. I told them they were just big crawdads. That helped a bit.

End of the day, no dipping butter was needed. They were already buttery and excellent. I asked my 8 year old what his favorite dinner was now. In order, Dad's burger's, and it was a toss up between lobster and duck. Duck is cheaper and easier to get so I'll move that to #2 for him. Me, if I could eat grilled tail or mud bugs every night, I would.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

I'm pretty sure it happened, Pete. Wish I could afford some lobster tails.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Pete, it sounds awesome. I too would eat crawdads or lobster tail every day if I could...Ok, and ribeye, tenderloin,....

Merry Christmas from a Littleton Transplant.
      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Know what you mean about the pics Love the Lobster. Always had a plan to go to the eastern seaboard and eat myself sick on seafood.
        JT

Comment

That does sound mighty fine! Ain't nothing like lobster!...Our new parts manager is a diver along with her husband...they have set some lobster hotels up...They told me the gig is on when season opens...
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

After running a credit check on you, I can verify it happened...

Good stuff. Sometimes ya just gotta go 1st class...Bravo!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

You guys are funny, especially Rich's comments. I guess I should be scared

Bassman, I'm not going whole hog on this whole deal. Actually, King Soopers has tails on sale for $5 per. Not big tails but compared to a Costco tail, it's a steal. I did 4 tails last night so it was enough with the other vittles.

My oldest son was so jacked, I bought another 5 today and vac packed them for a later date.

In all honesty, since we eat them so infrequentially, they taste that much better.

The real deal is we're now getting into crawdad season and some serious boils are in the offing. I still need some more practice on those so I'll be bugging Cajun (no pun intended) for some advice in a month or two. Finally got a big enough pot for the poundage I need
              Pete
              Large BGE

Comment

The funny thing is, the kids saw the tails and wanted nothing to do with them. I told them they were just big crawdads. That helped a bit.
                Helped ?
                Damn man you could have just grilled the kids burgers and had more lobster for yourselves !

Sounds like my kind of meal.
                But next time - some pics to drool over, okay
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  Helped ?
                  Damn man you could have just grilled the kids burgers and had more lobster for yourselves !

Sounds like my kind of meal.
                  But next time - some pics to drool over, okay
                  Yeah, you're right on the pics. Next time, I will.

As for the kids, well they're my kids but point taken if they happen to be guests
                  Pete
                  Large BGE

Comment

Abelman, just to help you out a couple of pics from the last trip to our hunt camp.

And how to warm an apple pie at hunt camp.
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Mark, you're killing me and it's not even 24 hours yet.

I did Maine lobsters last night but I do like the Southern variety as well. I do a lot of inshore fishing in FL. FL is kind of a second home to me. Been coming down since 1965. Used to have family in Ft Lauderdale but no more. I spend most of my time in Biscayne Bay and Marathon these days.

I have been down during Mini Season and watch the boats from the inside. What a Cluster F on the water. In all honesty, I do know why though

Headed back in May for that big silver guy on the fly.
                      Pete
                      Large BGE

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                        Mark, you're killing me and it's not even 24 hours yet.

I did Maine lobsters last night but I do like the Southern variety as well. I do a lot of inshore fishing in FL. FL is kind of a second home to me. Been coming down since 1965. Used to have family in Ft Lauderdale but no more. I spend most of my time in Biscayne Bay and Marathon these days.

I have been down during Mini Season and watch the boats from the inside. What a Cluster F on the water. In all honesty, I do know why though

Headed back in May for that big silver guy on the fly.
                        Those are African tails had ribeye with um..
                        The big silver guy is fun on fly, we go it from kayak (with drift chute). Major rush. I'll see if I can find a pic.
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                          Those are African tails had ribeye with um..
                          The big silver guy is fun on fly, we go it from kayak (with drift chute). Major rush. I'll see if I can find a pic.
                          This is getting interesting. Africian tails and you're in FL Why not just do mini season? Love to hear the story on African tails. Looks like a warm water lobster so I'm curious as to why not local in that regard. As it were, we usually only see NE lobster here, I can't reacall ever seeing any warm water tails in the stores. But, I do eat them when in Rome so to speak. Less the claws, I don't notice any difference really.

Yeah the silver guy is fun and he's frustrating as well, as you know. Some years are great, some they have lock jaw and others are tweeners. Hoping for some good ESE winds this year blowing around 10-15

P.S. next time, try a Flatiron instead of the Ribeye and see what you think.
                          Pete
                          Large BGE

Comment

Man I love the bugs! Fish I can take or leave but a good crustacean ahhhhh. I hear ya on the cost of seafood at our longitude. I also agree it's rarity for us is probably what makes it all the better. Are you going to be catching crawdads down there soon, or just cooking them up. My neighbor built a trap last summer and we never got out to use it. Can you catch them this time of year
                            sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

FL bugs are out of season and they don't keep well. They are mushy if frozen (to me). Those are (were he he) store bought cold water African tails. A bit on the pricey side but in winter... Local season doesn't open till July.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X