Exhaust Help on Drum.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Help on Drum.....

hey guys you all know i built my sooner drum well im in the process of seasoning it and i am having issues getting it past 325 with all 3 intakes fully open...in fact i went out there a minute ago and it was down to 165 temp i am thinking the exhaust is not big enough ...i have 4 - 3/4" inch holes the reason i think this is when i took the lid off the fire started going....it seems like its getting choked .....so question is should i add more holes to the lid maybe 2-4 more...whadda you think....heres a pic of the lid

Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Well, by way of comparison, here is a table for you.

One 2" hole (original drum lid bung) gives you 3.14 square inches of exhaust area

Eight 1/2" holes (somewhat popular pattern) give you 1.57 square inches of exhaust area

Four 7/8" holes (Weber lid) gives you 2.4 square inches of exhaust area

Four 3/4" holes (your lid) gives you 1.77 square inches of exhaust area

So your in the ballpark of exhaust for common configurations.

I am assuming the intakes are 3/4"??

I see that one of your intakes is elevated. I wonder if the riser is warm enough that air inside is trying to rise (since it is close enough to the drum to be heated) rather than falling which it needs to do if it is going to enter the drum? I would bet if you unscrewed your riser, you would get better intake flow.

Alternativelly, I would imagine adding a couple more exhaust holes would improve the draw and you could keep the riser.

I would also try again with known fresh charcoal so you know for sure it is not a fuel issue.

Hope this helps . . . some . . . I know it got kind of long winded.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Don't touch that thing!... Looks like a shiny Red Corvette!...lol... More holes? Or make the existing ones bigger and mount moveable covers that can swivel to partially cover said larger holes or outta the way to get it "wide open" with max exhaust flow?.. Just thinking out loud... Beauty Mike!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post

I see that one of your intakes is elevated. I wonder if the riser is warm enough that air inside is trying to rise (since it is close enough to the drum to be heated) rather than falling which it needs to do if it is going to enter the drum? I would bet if you unscrewed your riser, you would get better intake flow.
        Risers like that are not the ideal way to accomplish what you want. Flow characteristics in that pipe require that it be a much larger diameter-like twice- to get the same flow as no pipe. And I never thought of it heating up .

I am building a drum now, so I'm gonna experiment. But while I will try the "extended exhaust" control, it will be a rod extended up from a ball valve lever.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I have been seeing them on competition tour lately with 2 stacks(maybe 4 inch tall) about 6 inches apart on one side of lid as only exhaust....I know these folk cook higher heat(briskets etc.) on them......Wish i new enough about them...They maybe doing something different with intake a well....

Just throwing it out there..

Comment

ok i took the riser off and have the ballvalve open 50% and both caps are on will let the fire mass settle down for 30-45 minutes and then see where we are at...i can already see a difference in temps they are now running pretty close together

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW54WvCmjdo[/yt]
            Mike
            Oklahoma City
            Weber 22.5 Performer
            GOSM 3405gw
            Boomer Sooner Drum
            Maverick ET-732
            A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Risers like that are not the ideal way to accomplish what you want. Flow characteristics in that pipe require that it be a much larger diameter-like twice- to get the same flow as no pipe. And I never thought of it heating up .

I am building a drum now, so I'm gonna experiment. But while I will try the "extended exhaust" control, it will be a rod extended up from a ball valve lever.

yea i will probably do this i have seen it done but i thought the riser i did would work ...well live and learn i go out and the next week or so and pu up a brass ball valve and a rod.....
              Mike
              Oklahoma City
              Weber 22.5 Performer
              GOSM 3405gw
              Boomer Sooner Drum
              Maverick ET-732
              A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
                yea i will probably do this i have seen it done but i thought the riser i did would work ...well live and learn i go out and the next week or so and pu up a brass ball valve and a rod.....
                Crap...I meant "intake" obviously...

Sounds like a winner Phreak! Merry Christmas!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
                  ok i took the riser off and have the ballvalve open 50% and both caps are on will let the fire mass settle down for 30-45 minutes and then see where we are at...i can already see a difference in temps they are now running pretty close together

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                  I have been seeing them on competition tour lately with 2 stacks(maybe 4 inch tall) about 6 inches apart on one side of lid as only exhaust....I know these folk cook higher heat(briskets etc.) on them
                  I wonder what diameter they are -- 2" maybe? I've thought about adding another daisy wheel vent to my Weber lid to give me more range. I have a hard time maintaining 350° when I want to do chicken. I can get it there initally but it seems to want to fall to about 325° when I put the lid on.

I have the bottom of the kettle that I could swipe one from but I'd rather have another top vent wheel if I can find one.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Crap...I meant "intake" obviously...
                  I figured you did.

Dave
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  -

Comment

take this with a grain of salt... especially becuase I have never owned, built, operated, or even seen a UDS in person. lol

however, when we size things for HVAC equipment, ducts, etc, it all has to do with static pressures, hot/cold air tendencies, noice criteria, friction co-effients, air velocities, throws, etc... all in all, it all coes down to the fact that each situation needs to be sized approritely. one rule of thumb is that all equipment, duct, etc. needs and/or should be sized to about 125-150% of it's design requirements (as far as airflow goes).

what does this have to do with BBQ? this allows you to comfortably "cruise" at your desired temps, yet it also lets you "max it out" or "choke it down" for the exteme/rare situations that we all tend to find ourselves in sometimes.

with all that being said, I would probably upsize everything, then put dampers on the exhaust ports. probably go to 1" or 1 1/4" holes for the exaust, then just leave the intakes alone (since they are already purchased and installed).

Later,
                    Andy
                    Current babies:
                    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                    -RichTee's Lang :)
                    Former Lineup:
                    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

My brother and I both have the risers on our drums and they run great. We have (4) 1" intake holes and the riser has a ball valve on it. Once the fire is going we are able to control the heat with just the ball valve. I will have to reread these posts to see if you gave this answer but how many intake valves do you have and what size are they?
                      Propane Smoke Shack
                      UDS
                      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
                        My brother and I both have the risers on our drums and they run great. We have (4) 1" intake holes and the riser has a ball valve on it. Once the fire is going we are able to control the heat with just the ball valve. I will have to reread these posts to see if you gave this answer but how many intake valves do you have and what size are they?
                        i have 3 - 3/4" intakes and now 8 - 3/4" exhaust....and it looks like i am still having trouble keeping temps it was doing great and fell down again so i may do the same as my last drum and drill 1 intake to 1" and then i have another lid and cut it out for a 2.5" x 6" stack....
                        Mike
                        Oklahoma City
                        Weber 22.5 Performer
                        GOSM 3405gw
                        Boomer Sooner Drum
                        Maverick ET-732
                        A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

speaking of drums,did bubba fall off the earth or what?
                          brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                          18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                          cast iron Hibachi
                          22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                          & rotisserator
                          12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                          stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                          Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                          http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                          my music recordings-
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

can you also maybe post a pic of your drum...thanks
                            Mike
                            Oklahoma City
                            Weber 22.5 Performer
                            GOSM 3405gw
                            Boomer Sooner Drum
                            Maverick ET-732
                            A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

My brother and I both have the risers on our drums and they run great. We have (4) 1" intake holes and the riser has a ball valve on it.
                              Wow, that's more than double the potential intake air as (3) 3/4" intakes -- 3.14 square inches versus 1.32 square inches. More than one way to skin a cat. As long as you have more exhaust than intake for postive draft though.

Originally posted by blues_n_cues View Post
                              speaking of drums,did bubba fall off the earth or what?
                              I think being the Lockharts BBQ pitmaster is keeping him pretty busy.

Dave
                              UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X