WTH!...Lp burner issue..any sugg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTH!...Lp burner issue..any sugg?

Took an upright freezer and made it into a smoker. Bought a new LP burner ( the kind with stand for turkey cookers)..when i go to light it it seen i have to open the fuel control quite a ways to get gas..then i get a pretty big POOF and then the gas REALLY seems to be coming out! a lot stonger than before i lit it. When i do get it lit it will not stay lit..even with door OPEN etc..any thoughts?. 2nd question: I DO have 5 holes each 1/2 in diameter in back of freezer for incoming air is that enough ?

i dont know you intakes seems a little small to me....personally i think there is something wrong with the turkey fryer maybe a stuck regluator ....hopefully someone can chime in and give you a answer......
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Is the air venturi on the outside or did you put that inside the box?

The air venturi is the deal at the end of the casting with the openings that you can adjust the baffle on by turning it left and right, one way closes the air by covering more of the opening, and the other way opens it up.

The venturi is the end away from the burner.

below is the venturi. It must be outside the unit. Or you are making a large propane bomb that will go off when someone opens the door and lets the air in so it goes below UEL.

Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
        Is the air venturi on the outside or did you put that inside the box?

The air venturi is the deal at the end of the casting with the openings that you can adjust the baffle on by turning it left and right, one way closes the air by covering more of the opening, and the other way opens it up.

The venturi is the end away from the burner.

below is the venturi. It must be outside the unit. Or you are making a large propane bomb that will go off when someone opens the door and lets the air in so it goes below UEL.

Sir Bally speaks the truth... do not blow yourself up!!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

venturi

it is not outside the freezer ..i adjusted the venturi on the back and it seems to be running a little better with it in the outside air. Its probably choking off when i close the door so will have to put the venturi thru the rear wall. ANy sugggestions on what to use to punch a hole that big? The freezer was a commercial stainless steel model.

Comment

If you can take a pic and upload it as an attachment we could help further..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Hole saw

You can use a good hole saw to make holes. Use lots of cutting oil some stainless cuts easy, and some will just eat up bits and saws.

You can also use a thin cutoff wheel if you want to make square holes.

A turkey fryer burner inside a standard commercial fridge is prob a little overkill in my opinion. Either way it will need a larger volume of Oxygen to burn and have plenty of exhaust so you don't deplete your oxygen.

Once a box comes up to to temp then the main concern is just keeping it at temp.

Comment

Hum ya all got me thinking? the last two post I made about breaking in a smoker for my boss it was a turkey fryer we were using and had no problems like his at all .just wondering if we need to change anything?heres a link to my thread.
                http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11705

If this really is a problem I would like to know.
                Ridge sorry if I;m hijackin yer thread but I think its on the same line here.
                2-22.5'' weber
                1-18'' weber
                1 smokey joe
                22.5'' wsm
                24'' smoke vault
                1-outhouse
                Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunnr View Post
                  it is not outside the freezer ..i adjusted the venturi on the back and it seems to be running a little better with it in the outside air. Its probably choking off when i close the door so will have to put the venturi thru the rear wall. ANy sugggestions on what to use to punch a hole that big? The freezer was a commercial stainless steel model.
                  Milwaukee hole saw. Home Depot or Lowes. You want the kind with the pilot drill arbor in the center and the hole saw around it.

Should be into it for about 25 bucks at most.
                  Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Intake air supply

I don't have access to my buddy for the input air supply needed for a burner.

someone in HVAC should be around to lend a hand.

fuel + oxygen=fire.

I was working on a problem when I first built my cabinet using a side burner off of a BBQ grill, After 20 min or so the fire would go out, id I cracked the door just so slightly, worked no problems. Even though I had a 3 inch intake and exhaust wide open it was depleting the O2 level and the fire would go out.

Comment

got it

used a grinder to cut a square hole and the burner stays lit...Yeah it may be overkill but its what i had avail for a burner...recommendations for something smaller ?????

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunnr View Post
                        recommendations for something smaller ?????
                        http://www.gassmoker.com/c-burner.htm

I have the H burner in my SnP. Works great. Ed is a great guy to work with. Call ahead if you have any questions and he'll get you all set up.

I know, I know . . . some folks can build them for less with parts they have around the house/shop. But he has done all of the experimentation and sizing and since I:

A) don't know much about propane burners and
                        B) had no desire to blow myself up

it seemed like a good solution to me.

Dave
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Build or buy?

I love to tinker and am not too afraid to blow my self up again.....

But I am not 100% satisfied with anything I have come up with, so I am going to be buying a seetup from Ed.

I have a bucket full of regulators and a bucket full of burners, and a few different valves.

Good thing I dont have too much money in these but the time I have invested is .............

Comment

Working...
                          X