Pickled Christmas Steelhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickled Christmas Steelhead

This is a Christmas time tradition in my family...... As Christmas time is typically about the peak of the Winter Steelhead run around here..... It is equally as good with Salmon.

FISH
    - Filet & skin fish & remove any of the brownish flesh along skin side
    - Cover filets with rock or kosher salt top & bottom for 12 hours & refrigerate
    - Remove filets from salt after 12 hours & wipe excess salt off but don't rinse
    - Cut filets into about 1/2" thin slices

PICKLE
    - 6 Cups Water
    - 6 Cups Vinegar
    - 1.5 oz. Pickling Spices (about 5 Tablespoons)
    - 1 small box Brown Sugar (forgot to check size/weight)
    - Boil brine mixture 5 minutes & cool overnight

Processing & Packing
    - Cut White Onion(s) in thin slices, about 1/8"
    - In large glass/plastic jar, layer onion, fish, onion, fish, onion, etc to near top
    - Pour cooled pickling brine to top of jar, screw on lid & refrigerate 10 days

Last edited by Fishawn; 02-27-2011, 10:50 PM.
    sigpic

Awesome

Merry Christmas Scott

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

WOW...that must be good Walter...Thanks for recipe...I have been out of loop on this stuff since we moved from alaska in 1981....

Comment

Man I envy you
        Would this be sorta like the Herring you buy in the store? Going ice fishing tomorrow, hopefully coming back with a cooler full of panfish and some pike. Would like to pickle some of that pike with your recipe, sounds fantastic.
        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
          Man I envy you
          Would this be sorta like the Herring you buy in the store? Going ice fishing tomorrow, hopefully coming back with a cooler full of panfish and some pike. Would like to pickle some of that pike with your recipe, sounds fantastic.
          Pickled Herring Todd? ..... Kinda..... Steelhead is much better though .... Let me know if you pickle your pike.... I have never had pike, but if it flakes really easily when cooking, it may not hold together well enough to pull this off, but may be worth a try

I should mention that the recipe shown is doubled from my original old recipe book, so you might wanna try a small batch?
          sigpic

Comment

Sounds great Scott. Only had the herring myself and love that stuff. It's a must have at deer camp along with pickled bologna. Thanks for the recipe, now to get my hands on some trout or salmon.

Comment

Do you use a similar style brine or pickle for the bologna Lee?
              sigpic

Comment

I have only bought pickled bologna. It has what appears ( just looked) 4 cayenne peppers and a bay leaf in the jar and it's not sweet to the taste. I tried a recipe once with some of my smoked sausage I made, and the recipe had way too much sugar in it for me. Maybe I should try some already made natural casing hot dogs and experiment with a brine for when I do make a batch of bologna. Is this fish pickle real sweet?

Comment

It is not sweet, seems like a good balance to me... My FIL makes it with homemade vinegar and its got a nice lil vinegar bite to it.... I may try the pickled hot dogs eventually also... Sounds pretty good!
                  sigpic

Comment

Can't do it Walter...Mental block... Fish gotta be fried or grilled... Louie can eat dat stuff...N them damn cans o' sardines..
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Good with carp too.

Tom

Comment

looks great and the sort of thing I could eat till I developed gills.

BRINE
                        - 6 Cups Water
                        - 6 Cups Vinegar
                        - 1.5 oz. Pickling Spices (about 5 Tablespoons)
                        - 1 small box Brown Sugar (forgot to check size/weight)
                        - Boil brine mixture 5 minutes & cool overnight
                        (lol) BUT, can you call it a brine if it doesn't have any salt in it ?

Surely it's just pickling liquid/solution/marinade.

The fish is pre-salted anyway so salt isn't needed.

Just a thought.
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          looks great and the sort of thing I could eat till I developed gills.

(lol) BUT, can you call it a brine if it doesn't have any salt in it ?

Surely it's just pickling liquid/solution/marinade.

The fish is pre-salted anyway so salt isn't needed.

Just a thought.

I dunno ..... Good question though.... I can change it to something else if you wanna do the research for me to find out what I should call it
                          sigpic

Comment

It's Pickled, not brine.
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                              It's Pickled, not brine.
                              .... Yes Mark, you are correct.... I think my head is brined.... or pickled, or.....

JT.... Here ya go bud
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X