Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resurrecting the Longhorn with lots of pics...And Merry Christmas to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurrecting the Longhorn with lots of pics...And Merry Christmas to me...

Well Merry Christmas to all

About mid October my lovely wife bought this old OK Joe smoker...It was an abused rust bucket but I knew it had some life left in it...

This thing came complete with burnt ashes and I was beginning to wonder what I was in for...The thermometer hole was plugged with spider webs and junk and the Grease drain was plugged with who knows what...and of course the drip bucket was gone...

First thing I did was come up with a grate to build the fire on...

This is one of the most pathetic sights I have ever seen...Just made me wanna cry...I was trying to adjust the legs but bolts were rusted/broken...Took some work to get them apart...I've never beat one of my smokers with a sledge before...

After that was done ACZeller built me these awsome cooking grates...Thank you again Andy...they work Great...

Added an exhaust extension...This may need some work yet...

After working on it for a while I realized that the damper had some real problems...

Not exactly airtight...as in no control of air flow at all...

Took it apart...drilled it and pegged it...Its tight and Im feeling MUCH better now

When I ran my initial burn to season the grates I found that I had more than 150 degree spread from end to end...Not good at all...So I had a heat deflector and some tuning plates made...The first section is hinged to be able to clean under it and also if I want to raise the temps for poultry or some thing like that... The other sections are just resting in place so they can be adjusted as needed...First test run brought it down to a 40 degree spread...

Painted with the new handles I made...Now she's starting to look like something good...

The lid on this thing fits so tight that I wasnt comfortable running my thermo probes under it so I took a page from Phil's (Hawg Heaven) book...These things do the trick but drilling 7/8 inch holes through 1/4 inch steel was quite a challenge...

Well finally its Christmas eve...Time for the break in smoke...I been waiting a long time for this one...I even got a new stash of pecan wood for this

A quick shot of supper...Smoked rib roast, Sauteed beans, some of Lena's parmesan taters, and some multi grain bread...Served on Gramma's best china...I mean why not...Its prime rib on Christmas eve...

Finally finished on Christmas morning...Complete with a new Tru Tell thermometer and a big red bow...Merry Christmas to me and thanks to Lena!
    For under 400 bucks total she got me the best present ever...

I know it was a long story but thanks for lookin
    Last edited by SMOKE FREAK; 12-25-2010, 07:32 PM.
    Craig
    sigpic

sweet!!!! is it a 16" or a 20"??? your wife did ya good man!!!
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
      sweet!!!! is it a 16" or a 20"??? your wife did ya good man!!!
      E, its the 20 inch...cooking chamber is 20X40 and the fire box is 20X20...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

That's a very nice restoration of a good smoker. Great pics also.
        Lang 84 Deluxe
        Backwoods Pro Jr.
        2 WSM's
        Charbroil gasser

Comment

Hell yeah!!

Great restore job there.

Dave
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

You done an outstanding job on it, Looks great you well enjoy many cooks on it, and some great meals from it....!!!!!
            " When you lose, don't lose the lesson "

Comment

very nice man ...i kinda wished i kept mine but dont miss the fuel it would burn....but still its a nice smoker expecially with all the mods you did thats going to run sweet.....dont know if you covered this but i did make a charcoal basket for mine and it helped alot on the temps and the fuel consumption........might check into that.....good deal for $400 altogether....
              Mike
              Oklahoma City
              22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
              Weber 22.5 Performer
              GOSM 3405gw
              Boomer Sooner Drum
              Maverick ET-732
              Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
              A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Great resurrection project. Nice piece of equipment you got there now.
                sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Nice post,That is going to be a nice addition to the Family.YOUR WIFE ROCKS
                  sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

i used Smoke Buzz's Horizon at the iowa gatherin year before last... is the identical smoker. i was lookin at one in st paul this past spring, was same except it also had a vertical chamber on it too,,, the killer was it was a 16" and not a 20"... borrowing the phrase buzz told me when i pm'd him about it, he said the difference between the 16" and the 20" is the biggest 4 inches ya ever seen... glad ya got the 20!
                    Last edited by erain; 12-26-2010, 12:44 AM.
                    Charbroil SFB
                    GOSM
                    MES
                    Dutch Ovens and other CI
                    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Love it Craig!... Nice restoration on a nice smoker... Congrats pal!
                      sigpic

Comment

....Nice deal grover....

Comment

Picked from the boneyard of death and give a new life!

Outstanding project!
                          Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Great job on yer project! Looks brand new.
                            JT

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
                              YOUR WIFE ROCKS
                              Yes she does! She kept tellin me how bad she felt about giving me a present that I had to fix before I could even use it but that was one of the best parts for me
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X