Got venison, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got venison, now what?

A friend gave us a some of a small deer he shot. Wound up with one full and part of one hind quarter, two full front quarters and the backstrap. What would you do with them? Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
    Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
    1 Maverick ET-73
    1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Sounds like you got most all of the critter. Just send it over to me.
    Seriously, sausage, steaks, roast - endless possibilities.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

If it were me, I would make some venison pastrami with the rear, some jerky or sausage from the front.

The backstrap. I made some Canadian Bacon once with it, was very good.
      Otherwise, cut em up into medallions and grill em
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

yep jerky, sausage, roasts.

treat it like very lean beef and you won't go far wrong
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

SAve the back strap for frying up and turn the rest into curly's venison bacon ! you can't go wrong there.

the backstrap we like to dredge in some flower and spices then pan fry till crisp and enjoy with mash taters and the like.....enjoy!!!
          Jerod
          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
          sigpic

Comment

The Backstrap- With a sharp knife like a filet knife remove the silverskin so all you have left is a pure red tube of meat. Cut it into 1" medallions and pound gently into 3/4" steaks. Marinade for a couple of hours in a mixture of red wine, olive oil, and fresh rosemary. Shake off marinade and season with salt and pepper or Montreal Steak seasoning. Grill over med-high for no more than 3 minutes per side just to get a bit of carmelization on the outside. It should be red in the middle. It will melt in your mouth as long as you don't overcook it.

The hind quarters and shoulders- Look for separations between the muscle groups and try to cut out whole muscles. Remove all the silverskin from each individual muscle like you did with the backstrap leaving only pure red meat. Filet the bits of pure red meat from any that is left on the silverskin and put in your trim pile. Bone all the good meat off for trim. So you are left with several pure red whole muscles and a nice clean pile of trimmings looking something like this...

one venison ham

discard from one venison ham...

I would make jerky out of all the whole muscles. Here is a link to my jerky method if it helps... http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699

Now for the pile of trim- If you have access to a grinder, course grind some for some awesome chili and/or fine grind with 15% beef suet fat for some incredible sliders. If you don't have a grinder I would chop it into small chunks like 3/8" pieces and make a chunky chili.

That's the way I do it anyway, sorry for the long post, Happy New Year.
            Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
              The hind quarters and shoulders- Look for separations between the muscle groups and try to cut out whole muscles.
              I cut the tendons from the bone, then whole muscles pretty much fall off. Then I'd pack it dry ice and send it Keith or DD and sweet talk one of them into making venison salami.

Tom

Comment

Here's another thread showing 2 different de-bone methods for ham, and/or jerky.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...55523#poststop
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Here's another thread showing 2 different de-bone methods for ham, and/or jerky.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...55523#poststop

You guys little does are bigger than my big doe.
                  Keith

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Other than the backstrap I still haven't decided what I want to do with the rest. I already have some venison in the freezer cut for jerky. I guess I'll decide tomorrow when I take it out and actually see what I have to work with.

According to the guy who gave it to me, it was a mercy killing. The doe had been killed and the younger one was hurt. It was about 40 lbs before it was butchered so there isn't much there. I'll tackle it tomorrow. Right now its in a big bag in a cooler surrounded by snow.
                    Dawn

Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
                    1 Maverick ET-73
                    1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Here is what I was given:

I can tell what the backstrap is, but other than that I have no idea which piece is which.
                      Dawn

Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
                      1 Maverick ET-73
                      1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Originally posted by irishteabear View Post
                        Here is what I was given:

I can tell what the backstrap is, but other than that I have no idea which piece is which.
                        I think.....

First 3 pieces in picture is from the hind quarters.

4th back strap (center)

5th and 6th on the right are the front quarters.

Comment

I think I'll smoke the backstrap, use the one piece that's already boned for a roast, and the rest will be sausage once I find a recipe I want to try for it. Already have some venison in the freezer that's been sliced to use for jerky.
                          Dawn

Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
                          1 Maverick ET-73
                          1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Originally posted by Blowin Smoke View Post
                            I think.....

First 3 pieces in picture is from the hind quarters.

4th back strap (center)

5th and 6th on the right are the front quarters.
                            Yes you are correct.
                            If you smoke that back strap make sure you don't over cook it and also you will want to keep it from drying out as there is no marbalization (is that a real word?) in venison so wrapping it in bacon, injecting, or stuffing it will help to keep it moist.
                            Propane Smoke Shack
                            UDS
                            Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                            sigpic

Comment

What I would do

The back strap will smoke really quick, so be careful if you go that route.

I would freeze the back strap for bacon wrapped filet's. Period

If you want to smoke something, use the hind qtr, debone it and leave it whole, or separate the muscles and smoke the individual roasts.

Debone the rest for grinding.

Comment

Working...
                              X