Need some advice on this Venison Sausage recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice on this Venison Sausage recipe

I getting ready to make some sausage and would like some opinions on the recipe. It sounds good and has cure added but the description says it will only hold for 3 days in fridge. I thinking that 3 days was a typo. What ya think?

Below quoted from here

Of all my venison sausage recipes, this is the one I seem to get the most requests for.
    It was shared with me by my son-in-law, and is a favorite community recipe that is made into literally hundreds (if not thousands) of pounds of sausage every fall and winter.

As a matter of fact, the recipe in its original form is for a 150 pound batch. We had to do the math to get it into this more workable ten pound version.

Recipe

•6 1/2 lbs of trimmed venison

•3 1/2 lbs of fatty pork shoulder or trimmings. You want a 20% fat mix when you are done

•3 tablespoons kosher salt

•3 tablespoons black pepper

•3 tablespoons onion powder

•3 tablespoons Accent

•1 tablespoon garlic powder

•1 tablespoon sugar

•1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

•1 teaspoon ground allspice

•1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon sage

•1 teaspoon crushed mustard seed

•2 teaspoons cure (Prague powder or Instacure #1)

•2 cups ice water

1.Cut all the meat into 1-2 inch cubes, then grind it though the mediu plate of your meat grinder.

2.Take all the spices and cure and mix them well into the 2 cups of ice water.

3.Pour the water and spice mix into the ground meat and work it all in by hand for at least a couple of minutes to ensure a homogenous mix.

4.Stuff the sausage into 32-35mm natural or collagen casings and prepare the links for the smoker.

5.Once the smoking process is completed, package the links and either keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze them for up to 4 months. Click here for smoking directions.

This recipe is also very good when made as a fresh sausage. If you choose that option, you would obviously leave out the cure, but you may want to add 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke for flavor.

Ice water is going to make the cure work fast and even. You could get away with two days. But I think it says three do to the spices. Some of those oils will take a while to become evenly dispersed.
    Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

What do you mean..."last 3 days"? as in must be used up by then?

Bob took it to mean the "melding/cure" time for the spice and cure.

Cured, smoked and kept cold in a fridge, I'd think the life is approaching 3 weeks, not days. But heck, if using it is a few weeks out, just freeze it.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        What do you mean..."last 3 days"? as in must be used up by then?

Bob took it to mean the "melding/cure" time for the spice and cure.

Cured, smoked and kept cold in a fridge, I'd think the life is approaching 3 weeks, not days. But heck, if using it is a few weeks out, just freeze it.
        I was referring to the quoted statement below. I would think cured smoked sausage would be OK for at least 3 weeks in the fridge. I just didn't know if I was missing something.

5.Once the smoking process is completed, package the links and either keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze them for up to 4 months. Click here for smoking directions.

Comment

Originally posted by Blowin Smoke View Post
          I was referring to the quoted statement below. I would think cured smoked sausage would be OK for at least 3 weeks in the fridge. I just didn't know if I was missing something.

I don't think so... to me that 3 days thing is a typo.

Now...fresh... that I can understand.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

If you're anything like me, after 3 days I've lost track of when I opened the package anyway. Since it's cured and smoked, I wouldn't worry about the 3 day rule too much. Bob and Rich would know more than I do about the safety factor. I try to eat it up fast enough that I don't have to worry about it. For a real taste treat, next time try replacing the ice water with ice cold red wine (cheap).
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I agree with richtee

Interesting combination, I like to leave the seasonings mix in the fridge for a day. Fresh or smoked.

I am not sure what the 3 days refers to.

That also looks like a good recipe for "fresh" sausage for on the GRILL. If doing that and you DON'T put it in the smoker you may omit the cure. If that is the case I can see keeping no longer than 3 days in the fridge.

Just my opinion not fact.......

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                I don't think so... to me that 3 days thing is a typo.

Now...fresh... that I can understand.
                Thanks all... you guys rock. I think that was a typo as well and should have read 3 weeks or maybe 30 days for the smoked cured version. I have learned to make small batches so the sausage will always be somewhat fresh.

It is so easy to get the wrong information off the web and glad you folks started the new advanced curing forum. It will help out a lot of us.

Thank You All VERY Much.... Happy New Year

Comment

The 3 days is probably more of a disclaimer than anything. Technically you should be able to store them unrefrigerated. But I didn't say that.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                    The 3 days is probably more of a disclaimer than anything. Technically you should be able to store them unrefrigerated. But I didn't say that.
                    Say what? Someone say somtin?
                    I can't understand the three day "thing" either.
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                    X