Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• updating my kitchen questions

Howdy all!

Well, I love my house and I've been in it for two years now. I have been slowly upgrading different things like landscaping and adding hardwood floors and some new carpeting. I have decided to take the plunge and spend about 15 grand in my kitchen. Here's the thing: My house is built on a concrete slab so there's no way to run any piping under the house. I am wanting to switch my current electric stove out for a 48" Viking gas top. I want to put in on a current cabinet that is up against an outside wall. I want to convert it from natural gas to propane, have a tank put out back. Do you think it would be possible to do? Where the current stove is I'm going to put in Electrolux double oven with warming tray and I don't mind that being electric, just want the mother load Viking gas top. Any thoughts????

Depending on the amount of damage you want to do you can cut the floor and run anything in it you want and patch it back but yes what you want to do sounds ok as far as what you have there for power but you need to see what amperage the double oven will require i think they are usually 40 amps so you should have 6-3 wire (depending on how old the house is) at your current stove on a 50 amp breaker probably so you will just need 120 volt for the gas cooktop probably and you can take that off something nearby easily
    Last edited by Pandemonium; 01-04-2011, 08:06 AM.

Comment

You can do anything you want in there if moneys not an issue, ie add a island cooktop or whatever, its just going to cost more, as far as cabinets i cant help you there but yes they can custom make them

Comment

For the propane part, just tell Vicking it will be propane.. they will do it for you. Unless you already own then, they it needs an orific change, which the propane company can do or will know a plumber that can do it.

The propane company would be the correct people to ask about the gas hook up. It can be done easy enough, but they are the place to start.

I would think it would be steel from the reservoir to the stand pipe regulator, then HDPE underground to the transition riser, then another 13 inch of mercury house regulator, then through the wall with steel, shut off valve to flex pipe to the cook top.

That would do it in Colorado, but those propane companies know what can be done. And many times they will lay the main line for you if you sign up for 5 years with them.
        Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

I built my last house in 2004-2005 with a full Stainless Steel Viking Professional kitchen: 36" gas range/oven, 42" built in fridge, dishwasher, hood & microwave.... BEAUTIFUL STUFF.... Better Homes & Gardens kinda kitchen.....About $16-$17,000 in appliances & installation alone at the time..... In 5 years I had the range/oven fixed 2 times, the fridge 3 times & it also leaked 2 different times/problems & ruined our hardwood flooring in kitchen & pantry & the dishwasher & microwave fixed 1 time each also.... About $1,500 to $1,700 in repair bills if memory serves me..... Viking took care of none of it..... I suggest you read the reviews & take the advice that I did not, thinking it's "Top of the Line" or "Pro stuff" how could anything go wrong ...... That was my experience with Viking.... Oh, and each time the repair guys came out, they would tell me how Viking was the "Industry Standard" for high end kitchens & "Never seen that happen before" ..... So get ready for those comments also....
          Last edited by Fishawn; 01-03-2011, 12:58 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Great info! I'll keep shopping then. Electrolux also makes a gas top, but not as "industrial" looking like I wanted, but I sure as hell don't want all that repair BS either. Glad I posted this, thanks all you guys for responding.

Comment

I hear ya Scott. You know how those Vikings are. Come inta yer place, rape ya and hit the high seas.

Comment

Wolf makes some nice looking gas stoves check them out, have installed a few and they look top of the line
                http://www.wolfappliance.com/

Comment

Just my experience Squirrel.... Other's mileage may vary.... That 48" is an awesome looking unit, I almost put it in, it was just a little too big for that kitchen..... Wolf, DCS & Vulcan are other "commercial style" brands I see in homes around here anyway..... I do have a friend that has the 48" Wolf & has not had any problems...... KitchenAid makes some nice looking stuff, but I hear it is injury prone also...
                  sigpic

Comment

why not just go to a restaurant supply store and get the real thing for around 2K...........just sayin.
                    sigpic
                    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Not sure if this gizmo I seen in operation would work for gas line. Where I use to work they needed to run a pretty good size cable from the office to the office in the building next door about 200 feet away and under the blacktop parking lot. This thing bored under ground and they could direct it using a computer or gps and was pinpoint accurite, it came right up to the hole they bored in the floor

Comment

Take a good look at Vulcan.
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                          why not just go to a restaurant supply store and get the real thing for around 2K...........just sayin.
                          Most "commercial" ranges have standing pilot lights, which will burn through quite a bit of gas while not in use. Some local codes may prohibit putting a commercial cooking appliance in a residence without jumping through hoops with fire suppression and fire rated exhaust hood/duct. I agree with the others about Viking. Its stainless clad junk. DCS isn't much better. Wolf isn't too bad. Same with Jennaire and Electrolux, and you will be able to find service for them a little bit easier, if needed. Look at Sub Zero for refrigeration. If you get a true commercial unit, the noise will drive you nuts. And stay away from anything used.
                          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

One other issue is that in some areas the propane has to come in from above due to pressure regulation issues. My BIL just built a house not far from me but in Riverside county and they required the propane line to be overhead.
                            That might not be an issue on an outside wall but he was trying to put it into an island
                            Scarbelly

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                              Most "commercial" ranges have standing pilot lights, which will burn through quite a bit of gas while not in use. Some local codes may prohibit putting a commercial cooking appliance in a residence without jumping through hoops with fire suppression and fire rated exhaust hood/duct.
                              what ever happened to the good 'ol days................oh yea, people done got burned up.
                              sigpic
                              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Working...
                              X