Anyone ever used one of these?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_321241-93684...%3Dsandblaster

Thoughts?
    Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
    Modified Chargriller RF
    250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

never even heard of one like it, but i bet it would work pretty slick. depending on how it works, it may suck your sand pretty quick though. plus, there would be no re-use of the sand... with a dry one, you can sweep it up, sift it through a screen, and re-use it if need be.

check Youtube... i bet you could fnid a video of one in use.

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Andy,
      Good call. I did find a video of one that looks like this, but I don't know what kind of pressure they were running. Looks like it works. For the price, I may just give it a try.
      Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

grit tossin

I do a LOT of sandblasting..i have a biz blasting designs into stone/glass/wood etc..even large on site work..I guess my first question is WHAT are you going to use it on?

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunnr View Post
          I do a LOT of sandblasting..i have a biz blasting designs into stone/glass/wood etc..even large on site work..I guess my first question is WHAT are you going to use it on?
          Doing a cooker build this winter. The trailer it is going to sit on is a recycled stock trailer. We need to blast the frame so we can metal wash it and paint it. Also have a couple of tanks that need blasted.

I have looked at little portable dry units, but the compressor we have, has a max of 11.5 CFM @ 90psi. From what I can see, it will work with some of the small portable units, but then I came across this wet kit. Now I'm trying to figure out which would work best.
          Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

hhmm

using strictly air and dry grit it does take quite a quantity of air ..most regular compressors struggle to keep up with even a small set up. Either way me thinks it will take you an long long time to do the amount of blasting you want to do without a llarger set up. The water pressure blasting idea would help..you will get and endless supply of high pressure without waiting for a compressor to catch up. However it is a siphon set up using the water to siphon grit into the water stream. Not knowing how much grit you can actually get in to the stream makes it hard to judge..Like mos things the CFM labels are for the extreme high side..trying to keep 90 psi going with a blaster steady take a LOT of compressor..they just never stay caught up and thats using a small 3/8 or 1/2 hose necked down to a small cermic or carbide tip..the grit stream pattern is small..For that much blasting i woudl check around and see who does it cheap..you can pull it all in and can be done in a day real easy with a large set up. ..most car restoration guys can tell you whos doin it cheap..(entire frame assemblies etc require a large set up. )..if its overly expensive and you have TONS of time..the wet grit might work..dry..doubt you have enough air supply ..my .02

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunnr View Post
              using strictly air and dry grit it does take quite a quantity of air ..most regular compressors struggle to keep up with even a small set up. Either way me thinks it will take you an long long time to do the amount of blasting you want to do without a llarger set up. The water pressure blasting idea would help..you will get and endless supply of high pressure without waiting for a compressor to catch up. However it is a siphon set up using the water to siphon grit into the water stream. Not knowing how much grit you can actually get in to the stream makes it hard to judge..Like mos things the CFM labels are for the extreme high side..trying to keep 90 psi going with a blaster steady take a LOT of compressor..they just never stay caught up and thats using a small 3/8 or 1/2 hose necked down to a small cermic or carbide tip..the grit stream pattern is small..For that much blasting i woudl check around and see who does it cheap..you can pull it all in and can be done in a day real easy with a large set up. ..most car restoration guys can tell you whos doin it cheap..(entire frame assemblies etc require a large set up. )..if its overly expensive and you have TONS of time..the wet grit might work..dry..doubt you have enough air supply ..my .02
              I've checked 2 out of 3 places that I know of around here and the prices were a little steep. Still need to check with the 3rd place, though.

I'm also thinking that we don't have enough air.

Thanks for the expertise. Much appreciated.
              Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

Originally posted by new smoke View Post
                Doing a cooker build this winter. The trailer it is going to sit on is a recycled stock trailer. We need to blast the frame so we can metal wash it and paint it. Also have a couple of tanks that need blasted.

I have looked at little portable dry units, but the compressor we have, has a max of 11.5 CFM @ 90psi. From what I can see, it will work with some of the small portable units, but then I came across this wet kit. Now I'm trying to figure out which would work best.
                you want to dry blast steel.
                if you have a shipyard or welding/fab shop around-that's the people to ask.
                $75 per hour used to be pretty reasonable for a "white metal" blast.
                brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                cast iron Hibachi
                22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                & rotisserator
                12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                my music recordings-
                http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by blues_n_cues View Post
                  you want to dry blast steel.
                  Yes.

Suggestions?
                  Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

Yes.

Suggestions?
                    i've done a lot of blasting but it was heavy duty-we built refineries & oil rigs.
                    phil & i were just talking about this yesterday.
                    if you can get a bucket blaster.
                    here's a link just for some prices & references.
                    be sure to use black sand(coal slag).you could probably get that from an industrial paint supply place by the bag.
                    seeing how big your project is i'd hire someone to do the job.
                    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...989c6c17f79c85
                    cast iron Hibachi
                    & rotisserator

my music recordings-

Comment

Originally posted by blues_n_cues View Post
                      i've done a lot of blasting but it was heavy duty-we built refineries & oil rigs.
                      phil & i were just talking about this yesterday.
                      if you can get a bucket blaster.
                      here's a link just for some prices & references.
                      be sure to use black sand(coal slag).you could probably get that from an industrial paint supply place by the bag.
                      the other option is a 7" grinder depending on how much you are doing.
                      http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...989c6c17f79c85
                      I've only blasted with one of those guns with the tube on it that you stick in a bag or bucket. So you think I can get it done with a siphon unit? I keep reading that the pressurized ones are better.
                      Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

i've done some serious blasting w/ the syphon bucket. it's good,but for the sized project you have thats a lot of hours & bags of sand on the thing.

how many cubif feet do you figure you have to do all together?
                        cast iron Hibachi
                        & rotisserator

my music recordings-

Comment

Don't know for sure. The trailer is just down to the frame. No fenders, no sheetmetal, just angle, axles and tongue. It is 17'x6'. The tanks are 500 gallon each, but a little different dimension than I've seen. 7'x4'.

The trailer is what I'm really hoping to blast. Some rust and more nooks and crannys. The tanks I think can be wire brushed, ground, chemical remover or a combo of some kind.
                          Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

I've used on like that before. For small jobs like you are indicate the wet blaster will be fine. It'll take a while longer but it gets the job done.........................eventually.
                            sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Don't know for sure. The trailer is just down to the frame. No fenders, no sheetmetal, just angle, axles and tongue. It is 17'x6'. The tanks are 500 gallon each, but a little different dimension than I've seen. 7'x4'.

The trailer is what I'm really hoping to blast. Some rust and more nooks and crannys. The tanks I think can be wire brushed, ground, chemical remover or a combo of some kind.
                              if you use a bucket blaster & the trailer is unpainted,do it on a tarp & get some paint screen & recycle the sand.
                              cast iron Hibachi
                              & rotisserator

my music recordings-

Comment

Working...
                              X