Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made fresh pasta for the first time yesterday !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made fresh pasta for the first time yesterday !

Bought a pasta machine, 4-5 years ago. Cost about $10.
    Never used it.
    Bought some pasta flour a couple of years back - never used that either.
    Fortunately as long as you keep flour dry and sealed it'll last almost indefinitely. I did sieve it just to make sure there weren't any weevils :-)

Had some time yesterday and thought: 'lets make some pasta'.

And man is it easy !
    Weigh 5oz pasta flour into a bowl, add a large beaten egg. Mix in initially with a fork and then knead for about 10 minutes till it's smooth and not sticky.
    That's the pasta dough. I had no idea it was that simple.

Followed the instructions with the machine and wound it through on gradually thinned settings till I had a long thin sheet.
    Ran that through the tagliatelli cutter and had what looked tagliatelli shaped thin pastry.
    At this point I was stll not convinced I'd made pasta. So tried a little in a small saucepan. Added pasts to boiling water brought back to the boil and gave it 2 minutes. Result: really good pasta. I was impressed.
    As there were three of us I did 2 lots of 5oz and 1 egg. Made plenty.

For the rest of the meal I made a cheese sauce.
    Made the roux with a little olive oil and 4 oz of my smoked pancetta (cubed bellly bacon) takes a while as you cook the pancetta until all the fat renders out and you have to use a fairly low heat to avoid burning.
    Use the bacon fat to make your roux and add milk.
    No pics of this as anyone knows once you start adding the milk to a cheese sauce you don't stop stirring till it's done - or it burns :-)
    I added some double concentrate tomato puree and a little garlic powder and some cbp to the sauce as well.
    For the cheese I used some smoked cheddar and smoked edam. Makes a truly great cheese sauce but due to the time it takes to render down the pancetta you need to plan ahead :-)
    Also cooked up some chopped yellow pepper and added that to the sauce.

Fried up some scallops in butter with a little pepper (they'd started to get freezer burn and needed eating).

Put a layer of scallops in each bowl, added the pasta, added sauce, mixed in briefly and topped with some 21-25 shrimp.
    have to admit it was pretty delicious.

And the pasta was a revelation.
    So if like me you've got a pasta machine languishing in a cupboard somewhere - get it out and have a play. I can pretty much guarentee you won't be disappointed :-)

Going to try ravioli next :-)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-18-2009, 09:59 AM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Going to try ravioli next :-)
    Very nice! My Wop half applauds ya! I have helped make many kinds of pastas over the years. Rarely do it tho..I gotta remedy that.

TIP for ravioli... cut dough with "pinking shears" for the triangle edge...more surface area...and dampen edges with egg wash for sealing :{)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well done, good looking grub right there!
      I have not made pasta in forever, you make it look so easy... I am lacking the pasta machine though... Im going put ravioli on "the list"
      Im curious what is a "double concentrated tomato puree"?
      Thanks for the sauce recipe!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
        Im curious what is a "double concentrated tomato puree"?
        My guess is we know it as "tomato paste".
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          My guess is we know it as "tomato paste".
          You got it .... tomato paste.

Nice job CA. We love home made pasta at our place. Once you get used to the machine the process speeds up as well. We can go from a pile of ingredients to on the table (including clean-up) in just under an hour ....
          Ron

Weber Smokey Mountain
          GOSM x 2
          Vermont Casting Grill
          Black Thermapen (only color available in these parts)

Comment

That's a good looking meal, CA!!

Nicely done.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

now that i work for the worlds largest pasta maker,Barilla, my thoughts of makeing my own have gone. Just curios, is what you made more of a egg noodle? We dont put any egg in our regular pasta , just simolina and water, and some other junk to make the USDA happy, but our PLUS pasta has a minor amount of a egg product in it.
              My food WAS a vegaterian!!
              Death Row Outfitters

Comment

"double concentrated tomato puree"?
                It's a tube of tomato puree that says: double concentrated on it - I'll scan the tube and attach pic :-) (soon as I get the scanner working)
                I use it to add tomato goodness to stuff that I don't want to add any more water to.
                Goes great in bread with cheese to make tomato and cheese bread :-)
                best yet it costs about 28p (50 cents) a tube and a little goes a long way :-)

Ah recipe - here's the bits I left out :-).
                Well I figure I made just over a pint of sauce. Probably used 1 tbs of the puree, just enough garlic to notice. If you like you can chop up a small clove and cook it with the bacon, these days I'm ashamed to say I tend to go first for the sprinkle on garlic powder and second for the fresh stuff.
                I pretty much always add either puree or ketchup and garlic to a cheese sauce - it just seems to lift it that little extra bit that seperates a good sauce from a memorable sauce.
                The pepper I just chopped up, mixed with a little oil and microwaved for three minutes and then just stirred into the sauce. Was an after thought - but really worked well.
                Probably used about 4oz of the smoked cheese, just enough to emphasize the smoky flavour and add a little cheesiness.

The thing with cheese sauce is that you can make it at any time in the day and just reheat it. But never, ever, ever leave it cooking without stirring until you're done and it's off the heat. Follow that one simple rule and you'll get perfect smooth sauce every time. Ignore it and it'll probably end up lumpy and burnt :-)
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by smokebuzz View Post
                  Just curios, is what you made more of a egg noodle?
                  Every pasta recipe I've seen requires eggs. Including the recipe that came from Italy from my Sister-in-laws Grandmother ..... Maybe egg noodles are just MORE eggs, not sure though.
                  Ron

Weber Smokey Mountain
                  GOSM x 2
                  Vermont Casting Grill
                  Black Thermapen (only color available in these parts)

Comment

The pasta machine book said to use either water OR egg.
                    I figured egg would give a richer pasta and a firmer dough. Seemed to work.
                    From a commercial point of view - water is way cheaper than egg :-)
                    From a home made point of view - egg pasta is really good and cheap enough :-)

When I worked at the biscuit/cookie factory long time ago. There were always pallets in the cool store warehouse marked: 'barilla slugs'. (you're ahead of me here aren't you ?)
                    Turns out they weren't contaminated with the deadly barilla slug,scourge of cookies the world over - but plain wrapped (slugs) wheat biscuits destined to be shipped to italy for packing in their final wrapper :-)
                    I reckon It took me a year or two to work that one out :-)

Anyway pic of tomato concentrate/puree tube attached :-)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-18-2009, 10:51 AM.
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I used to make some pasta at home and used egg, but never was huge pasta eater. Those cookies that come from Italy, WOW the're good, we got some at christmas. We only make the noodles in the US, all other pastery,bread and cookie type things are from Italy. I think our sauce is made in our Avon,NY plant, i mite have to ask on that one.
                      My food WAS a vegaterian!!
                      Death Row Outfitters

Comment

Those cookies that come from Italy
                        made in england by McVities :-)
                        And yeah they were kind of moorish.

Sort of like a lower sugar digestive. Never actually helped out in the mixing room when they were beig made so don't know exactly what they had in em. But they were pretty good.
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

We bought an electric pasta machine from one of those "TV" ad's years ago. Good machine and did well for it's purpose. For the 1st year we made so many different kinds of pasta that I thought my wife started looking like Sophia Loren. and I felt just like a gigolo but we soon tired of the mutual gathering for pasta making and now use only when were horny and feel like being Italian. The box of Barillia now makes us settle down and not create a ruckus for the neighbors.

P.S. I bought WW2 a Italian Rifle once, never been fired and only dropped once, don't buy a Fiat either.
                          Fix It Again Tony
                          Last edited by Richtee; 03-18-2009, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJoeBob View Post
                            We bought an electric pasta machine from one of those "TV" ad's years ago. Good machine and did well for it's purpose. For the 1st year we made so many different kinds of pasta that I thought my wife started looking like Sophia Loren. and I felt just like a gigolo but we soon tired of the mutual gathering for pasta making and now use only when were horny and feel like being Italian. The box of Barillia now makes us settle down and not create a ruckus for the neighbors.

P.S. I bought WW2 a Italian Rifle once, never been fired and only dropped once, don't buy a Fiat either.
                            Fix It Again Tony
                            Dude that is funny!
                            Sunset Eagle Aviation
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJoeBob View Post
                              :

Fix It Again Tony
                              Crap...

Anyway..I am half Hungarian and half Italian. My Grandpa and his brother served, and brought that rifle back home...to here .

Comment

Working...
                              X