Rabbit Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabbit Jerky

I forgot the proper terminology of a critter that needs to be frozen for a certain period of time in order to be considered............?............ Anyway I have not had any work since before Christmas and I think I am gonna take a walk out back tomorrow and pop a couple rabbits. I will process them as I do with any jerky I make, cure/season for 24 hours and low temp smoke about 140-150. I have never tried making rabbit jerky, made chicken, venison, and pork but not fresh rabbit. I don't see a problem with it, watcha all think.

I guess the reason I am asking is because rabbits do carry trichinosis and I have never cooked them low temp.

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
    I forgot the proper terminology of a critter that needs to be frozen for a certain period of time in order to be considered............?............ Anyway I have not had any work since before Christmas and I think I am gonna take a walk out back tomorrow and pop a couple rabbits. I will process them as I do with any jerky I make, cure/season for 24 hours and low temp smoke about 140-150. I have never tried making rabbit jerky, made chicken, venison, and pork but not fresh rabbit. I don't see a problem with it, watcha all think.

Comment

I haven't heard of trichinosis in rabbits, but they will, on rare occasion have tularemia. After the first couple of hard frosts, they are not likely to have that either. I've never made jerky from rabbit but have eaten tons of it fried. I think Bob Bally has done cured rabbit and I'm sure he'll chime in here.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Kiw dat whiley wascal an make sum guud wabbit jioky
        2-22.5'' weber
        1-18'' weber
        1 smokey joe
        22.5'' wsm
        24'' smoke vault
        1-outhouse
        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

I knew it was some kinda bug they carried ( maybe not trichinosis just couldn't remember what it was called, must be gettin old I guess ) and knew about the frost thing. I was just wondering about the low temp smoke.

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
          I haven't heard of trichinosis in rabbits, but they will, on rare occasion have tularemia. After the first couple of hard frosts, they are not likely to have that either. I've never made jerky from rabbit but have eaten tons of it fried. I think Bob Bally has done cured rabbit and I'm sure he'll chime in here.

Comment

Can't do it...Livin in England for 8 years them rabbits are all jacked up & f'd up nasty...mental block...
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Ive done it with Tame rabbits. My mom has almost 200 of them. I did it just like any jerky. Thought it was pretty good but like beef and venison better. There is just not enough meat on them for me to bother with jerky. I made a shit load of fresh sausage out of them too. Think it was 20 pounds of it if I remember correctly. Made a bunch of post on it on another forum...

I would say go for it
              RIP!!!Smoke Wagon Victims

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                I knew it was some kinda bug they carried ( maybe not trichinosis just couldn't remember what it was called, must be gettin old I guess ) and knew about the frost thing. I was just wondering about the low temp smoke.
                I think yer OK, Lee. Dead O winter and likely good, clean game out by you. Cure and smoke :{)
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Can't wait to see this Lee. If it works out for ya, I'll give it a try with my domestic hare. Most definitely going to make sausage since I need foods with little or no fat.

Tom

Comment

Never done it Lee, but am interested in your Chicken Jerky... I remember your Pork Jerky thread, but not a Chicken Jerky... Sorry to change subject, but am interested... I'm on my BB and can't search threads right, can you bump it for me to read if there is a thread?... Thanks and good luck on the hunt!
                    sigpic

Comment

I know there wont be alot of meat for jerky production and the smaller trimmings I was planning on saving for sausage. Rabbit is a pretty darned good meat which would make an excellent jerky. They have some pretty nice little back straps in them too. Tastes like....well chicken

Comment

I had a thread on it Scott, but it could of been from the old country. Did about 20 pounds frozen breast meat.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        Never done it Lee, but am interested in your Chicken Jerky... I remember your Pork Jerky thread, but not a Chicken Jerky... Sorry to change subject, but am interested... I'm on my BB and can't search threads right, can you bump it for me to read if there is a thread?... Thanks and good luck on the hunt!

Comment

Whack em and stack em Lee!... Good luck!
                          sigpic

Comment

should watch for boils in the meat itself and don't use those animals,thats what I was always taught anyway... I do like me some pan fried wabbit..
                            Last edited by Jimh; 01-11-2011, 09:43 PM.
                            sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                            members mark upright propane smoker
                            kingsford bbq
                            23"weber kettle

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                              Can't do it...Livin in England for 8 years them rabbits are all jacked up & f'd up nasty...mental block...
                              oh no they're not ! (sorry it's the pantomime season - look it up lol)

Nah miximitosis is pretty much gone. we eat a fair bit of wild rabbit. Good meat.

Not seen a mixi bunny for some years now.
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X