Savory Venison Backstrap Steaks w/ Red Wine sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savory Venison Backstrap Steaks w/ Red Wine sauce

The backstraps are trimmed of all silverskin and gently pounded from 1 1/4" thick to about 3/4" thick. Marinaded in Red wine, Olive oil, fresh garlic and fresh rosemary for a few hours. Then seasoned with salt and pepper.

I saute them for 2 1/2 minutes per side on medium high in half butter half olive oil in a stainless steel skillet. Then they go on a warm plate in a warm oven while the sauce is made.

In the same skillet that you cooked the steaks, throw in about a third of a cup each of shallots, celery and carrots, and let them get softened. Deglaze pan with 1 1/2 cups of red wine and reduce by half. Add a half cup of tomato puree and reduce heat to thicken sauce for about 5 minutes. Fold in a couple of Tbs of cold butter a little at a time until sauce is nice and creamy. Strain veggies from sauce. Salt and pepper to taste and spoon over steaks. Notice how red the steaks are in the middle. If they are gray in the middle they are overcooked and will be tough.

Perhaps because of the care I take in processing my deer, there is never gamey taste. Thanks for looking.
    Keith

Splutter...stammer...umm... ahh...

OMG! Adopt me!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks great!! Can't go wrong with a venison backstrap steak!
      Where to Shop -
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
      https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

All hail the King.

Looks great and a nice recipe. I still have a few pounds of backstraps from this year. Chalk this one up as "Must Do".
        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

dude you got it going dead on there!!! whenever i hear of gamey tasting deer, it really makes me wonder why people havent figured this out everywhere. while venison is venison and the different types, ie elk, deer, caribou, moose etc... all have their own subtle differences, gamey it should not be. truley its all in the handling of the meat from the time the animal enters the window of opportunity for a shot. what happens from there on is all in the hunters control. from shot placement to field dressing to proper takedown of the animal with removal of fat and silverskin like you said. have heard many suggestions about soaks etc, but seriously if you need to soak it out something in the previous steps wasnt carried out up to par.(the only exception to this really is if the animal already has high adrenalin going on from something then could be an issue.) all those fancy french chefs dont use venison for there signature dishes for the hell of it.

if i want a larger steak out of a backstrap i will butterfly a medallion, and sometimes on a t-loin will do a multiple butterfly, dont know if you can picture but make your slices on opposite sides so it makes an accordian type deal and lay it flat.

love your game posts King... just for doing it up right, incl not over cooking!!! and thks for your sauce tips, will give it a try for sure!!!
          Charbroil SFB
          GOSM
          MES
          Dutch Ovens and other CI
          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

You just made my mouth water, Keith! Deer and elk is my favorite table fare.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
              have heard many suggestions about soaks etc, but seriously if you need to soak it out something in the previous steps wasnt carried out up to par
              Thats a fact Jack

Thanks for the kind words. My wife was a staunch hater of everything venison, until I learned how to properly prepare it. Now it is her favorite.

Unfortunatly, a lot of folks have been so turned off by badly prepared venison, that they will never try it again.
              Keith

Comment

Great looking meal and lots of good info in this thread....

Comment

Never had backstrap, but that looks damn good.
                  Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Beauty

sigpic

Comment

You know, that might be worth a trip to the lone star state. What the heck! What time is dinner?

Tom

Comment

Points police say's no, I'll get back to it. Damn nice!
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                        X