French Bread Baguettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Bread Baguettes

Taking a break from the Sour Dough and thought I give one of the recipes in my new book a try...My Christmas gift to myself.

French bread cut and proofed into 3 small baguettes.

First thing was to make what is called pate fermentee. Basically just a smaller version of ingredients that you let ferment until it is 1 1/2 times it's original size, then toss in the fridge overnight.

Next day, remove and cut it into several smaller pieces so it comes up to room temp quicker.

I took pics of this process but I didnt have the memory card in
    Here is where I realized that.

Everything mixed, let double in size and gently coax it out of the bowl and onto the table where I divided it into 3 separate pieces, being careful not to degas it.

3 pieces cut.

Next, using the side of your hand, make a crease up the middle end to end.

Roll the edge over and seal like you would an envelope.

Next, with a floured surface, starting in the middle, gently roll the dough back and forth working your way towards the edges to lengthen the dough.

Once that is done, slip inside a large plastic bag and let it rise till 1 1/2 times its size. A bit past the half way point on this rise, I removed and made the slits in the crust, trying to catch the bread to do this on the rise rather than after it has risen so as not to degas the loaf.
    I just bought a new pack of them double edged razors last night and I'll be dammed if I can find them. I had to use a utility blade. Not the same as it took more pressure to cut with them, thus I didn't get the cuts I wanted Will have to buy some more I guess.

Anyhow, these baked at 500 degrees for initially. Had a pan in the oven and as soon as the bread hit the racks, I poured 1 cup of water in the pan to make steam. 30 seconds after that, I sprayed the walls of the stove with water and did that 2 more times at 30 second intervals. After that, lowered the temps to 450 where they baked for approx. 20 minutes.

Out of the oven.
    Nice redish golden color to them, although it does not look like it in the pics.
    I think that flourescent light about the stove messes with the colors.
    Pretty good texture. Tastes great with hint of sweet aftertaste.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

The cover of the book looks like the chick has a bun in the oven. Lookin good and that looks like a great book.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Derek

Just score the lines a little deeper next time OK?
      Actually, you score at an angle, scoring deep is gonna degas the bread.

Comment

Really Derek there is a special tool acutully for slashing bread that is called a Lame and it is to done diagonally.

Comment

Nuthin more than a razor blade mounted on a handle.

Comment

MH nice job... Look very tasty. I need to try my hand at that.

Comment

Looks good. I have that book. Another good book is "Beard on Bread," by James Beard. Really more of a bread science book if you ask me, but considered by most bread makers to be the "bread bible." He doesn't talk much about sourdough though because it's to unpredictable. But that's what I like about sourdough. Each and every batch takes on a new personality.
              I score my loaves at least an inch and sometimes 2 inches deep. If your blade is thin, razor sharp, and round, you should be fine. If I don't score mine deep, it will usually tear itself up, by splitting down the side. But like anything else, what ever works.
              Anyway, love the baguettes. Still technically a sourdough since it's made with a pre-ferment.

Tom

Comment

Good looking bread, Todd. My wife would have those gone in an hour.
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

beautiful bread! now you need a WFO!!! damn those would be soo off the hook in the WFO! we gotta have a bread party. They look perfect!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Ok Goddess, what the hell is a WFO?
                    By the way, I found my razor blades. They were right were I left them, in the van LOL

Comment

i noticed the way you and derek scored yer loaves and it seemed odd to me. i can't explain it very well but i male 3 cuts at a very slight diagonal manner almost lengthwise down the loaf so the loaves expand and "eyes" form. you guys cut yours across compared to mine.

this is not mine but close to what i get...........

also after i make the cuts i let the dough skin over for a few minutes.
                      sigpic
                      it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Wow, how did I miss this?
                        Have you seen those forums where people bake their way through that book?
                        Looks like you are going to do that!
                        "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                          i noticed the way you and derek scored yer loaves and it seemed odd to me. i can't explain it very well but i male 3 cuts at a very slight diagonal manner
                          Yes I know what you mean. And that IS how it should be done. Wasn't even thinkin on this run. Guess I just reverted to what I normally do a normal loaf. Next time

Originally posted by moselle View Post
                          Wow, how did I miss this?
                          Have you seen those forums where people bake their way through that book?
                          Looks like you are going to do that!
                          No, have not seen those forums, but if you have a link, turn me on to it.
                          I'm belong to another forum right now where I am trying to smoke my way thru all the different meats and.................oh wait, I'm on that forum now. Never mind

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                            Ok Goddess, what the hell is a WFO?
                            By the way, I found my razor blades. They were right were I left them, in the van LOL
                            WFO? WTF, MH?! Ryan's Wood Fired Oven, the envy of all SM and Californica!!

Hey, MH - can you share your recipe? That is some damn fine looking bread, brother - I'd like to give it a go.

Outstanding!

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                              WFO? WTF, MH?! Ryan's Wood Fired Oven, the envy of all SM and Californica!!

Hey, MH - can you share your recipe? That is some damn fine looking bread, brother - I'd like to give it a go.

Outstanding!
                              Ahhh, ok. Those Californian's, they have all the cool toys.
                              Here in Mn, we use wood stoves to heat our house, the bake in em

Yes, I will send you that recipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X