messed up my fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• messed up my fish

I think I goofed.I put my fish in the brine while there was still some frost in the fish.When they should have been finished and temps were reached,they still had a not cooked apearance to them.I took them in the house and cooked at 350 for 45 minutes to make sure they were cooked.They have no flavor,and no salty taste at all.I was told by a friend that they probably did'nt take the brine,because of the frost.And by not getting the salt in them they did'nt dry right.Any thoughts from you that know what you're doing?Will they still be good to eat?What could I have done to make this right?Thank you for any and all responces. RJD

I would think the frost would have thawed in the brine.. What was your brine recipe?? How much salt did you use to water?
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

how lonng were fish in the brine??? and what was in the brine... not trying to pry your recipie but just want to compare to the one i use... actually salt/sugar/water the 3 main ingreds i need to know and how much of each...

i agree with TH, but depending on how froze they were, how cold the brine, and how long they in there could make a difference.
      Charbroil SFB
      GOSM
      MES
      Dutch Ovens and other CI
      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

What TH said... Brined partially frozen salmon overnight several times. The salt in the brine will speed up the thaw also.... 350* for 45 minutes should have baked the crap out of them... I would thaw them completely in fridge and follow a proven brine and smoking recipe as a starting point.... What kind of fish?... And brine?
        sigpic

Comment

I used enough salt to float the fish,and approx.6oz of dark full flavor mollasses to 2 1/2 gals.of water.It's a good brine when it works.I used it on 25 rainbows in Nov.and it was excellant.The fish were soaked for 12 hours.The fish I used this time was whitefish and suckers.Most of the fish were cut in half side to side.Maybe with the size of the fish I should have let them soak longer??The rainbows were all 15-20 inch range,and not real fat fish.Thanks for the replies so far.

Comment

You better see a doctor and have your taste buds looked at. Weired seems like it woulda worked.

Comment

Originally posted by rdemler View Post
              I used enough salt to float the fish,and approx.6oz of dark full flavor mollasses to 2 1/2 gals.of water.It's a good brine when it works.I used it on 25 rainbows in Nov.and it was excellant.The fish were soaked for 12 hours.The fish I used this time was whitefish and suckers.Most of the fish were cut in half side to side.Maybe with the size of the fish I should have let them soak longer??The rainbows were all 15-20 inch range,and not real fat fish.Thanks for the replies so far.

i always go lengthwise unless i cut in steaks... but if you used it before then would say it would have to be the frozen interior portion did not thaw, i would add something like thermo off and not cooked but you finished off in the oven but said were bland... leaves that the brine didnot penetrate, possibly they were a lil more froze than you thought???
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Ditto everyone, it seems strange that you could not taste the brine?? I dont think the frost would effect anything unless it was at 32* and never thawed??? strange....

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  350* for 45 minutes should have baked the crap out of them
                  I'd say that's where the flavor went.

The fish I used this time was whitefish and suckers.
                  SUCKERS??!!! What part of Missouri are you from?

Tom

Comment

Well,next time they will be totally thawed.I will be buying a couple more thermometers to make sure they all read the same.My taste buds work,although I have been told i have no taste.
                    I'm from upper Michigan not Missouri.Thank you everyone for the replies.I'm going to try some chicken next week.

Comment

In our brine lesson that bbally is giving we learned today that learned that brine strength readings are affected by temperature.
                      I can't tell you what happened but I bet Bob can. I'm sure it had something to do with it temp.
                      "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

I'm from upper Michigan not Missouri.
                        Oh. So sorry. When I lived in Traverse City, they'd run you out of town for eating suckers, carp or catfish. Public hanging for taking a gar home.
                        Seriously, I thought us Ozarkians were the only ones that ate suckers.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          Seriously, I thought us Ozarkians were the only ones that ate suckers.
                          Oh, we'd get some smoked sucker around here once in a while. Pretty good too.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

They are good eating if you don't mess them up.I think ozarkians and yoopers have alot in common.I even ate a couple sheephead last summer,apparently that was even too much for some of the locals.But I will try smoking some this year.

Comment

They are good eating if you don't mess them up.I think ozarkians and yoopers have alot in common.I even ate a couple sheephead last summer,apparently that was even too much for some of the locals.But I will try smoking some this year.
                              LOL now that got me in the funny bone....I dont know about the sheephead though
                              sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                              members mark upright propane smoker
                              kingsford bbq
                              23"weber kettle

Comment

Working...
                              X