Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My WSM is on the way!

Greetings!

Well, I did it. I ordered an 18.5 inch WSM.

A little history...

Many years ago, I bought the ECB but was never able to get it to work like I thought it should. It got buried in the shed out back. I had completely forgotten about it when I decided to get serious about smoking meat.

I bought an offset. It works great, with the mods. But it uses way too much fuel for the amount of meat I smoke. It did serve it's purpose though, of getting me hooked on the food.

Then, one day, my boy asked why I didn't use the one I already had. Hmpf, durn kid. Well, I dug that out and researched the mods for it. So, I had two smokers, both putting out great food. However, lots of work went into both to maintain temps, etc. over a long smoke. I know, preaching to the choir...

After thinking about what I've learned, I decided the WSM would be the best choice to fit what I want to do with it.

I also have a friend that owns a wood working business. He is building a wind screen for it. Each panel will be roughly 3 feet wide and four feet tall. It will fit the stainless steel pad that I use for the ECB. Three panels, hinged to fold flat. I can strap it to the luggage rack on the car, then put the canoe on top of that. Or the Suburban for long trips.

So, I should be ready soon to get back to smoking all the meat that seems be piling up in the freezer. If it goes right, there's ribs, chickens, a duck and a bunch of fish that will soon meet the new WSM.

Jerry aka 5lakes
    Last edited by 5lakes; 01-14-2011, 08:08 PM.
    Jerry aka 5lakes

Congrats on the new smoker The folks that have em, love em. Look forward to some pics of your smokes.
    sigpic
    New Braunfels Bandera
    New Braunfels Hondo
    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
    1-26" Weber Kettle
    24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
    Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Man...Good on ya! Now ya gotta get after it!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Yer going to love that smoker .I know I do
        check out this site .they got a lot of good info for wsm users
        http://tvwbb.com/eve?s=98110183&cdra=Y
        2-22.5'' weber
        1-18'' weber
        1 smokey joe
        22.5'' wsm
        24'' smoke vault
        1-outhouse
        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Congratulations on adding to your arsenal! Sounds like that freezer will need restocking in no time! Good luck with the new WSM.

Comment

Congrats, they are a great cooker

Comment

Kinda funny...after someone goes thru all the angles and mods on other styles, they order a new WSM ;{)

I love mine. It has some issues, the wind thing being one. But it's incredibly versatile and fun to play with. AND- it does a great job. Congrats!
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Talk about one helluva smoker... You are gonna love that thing!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I have had one at least 10 years or so...Versatile and straight forward to use...Also have a 22 inch..

Dont forget you can also put 2 lit funnels in and a couple chunks of wood and mine will cruise at 330-350 degree that makes a great smoke oven....I also cold smoke in mine....

Enjoy...A bunch of us have experience,so ask away if issues arrive....

Comment

congrats,

Ill echo what others have said, WSM's are really nice. When I got mine I gave away my other smokers.
                    Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Thanks for all the good comments.

I'm really looking forward to getting it. Now, all I have to do is dig through the snow to find the charcoal chimney. I think it's near the ECB, but I'm not sure. The first foot and a half surprised me. After that, it's just been a battle to keep the driveway clean. Another four inches today, with another two to four tonight. Not even half way through the winter and we're already close to a record amount of snow. More than four feet so far. Only another foot to set a record. At this rate, maybe I should just bite the bullet and put a plow on the Suburban.

Wanted to get a snow blower this year, but other things had to take priority.

That, and I figure I could smoke some meat for my boy in college. Maybe, just maybe, he won't ask for grocery money so often...

I'm sure I'll have questions. I'll have a better idea tomorrow night about when the wind screen will be done. I figured that would need to be a priority, given the snow and wind we can get here. It will be tall enough to support a tarp over the whole thing to protect it from snow when not using it.

Again, thanx for all the good words.

Jerry aka 5lakes
                      Jerry aka 5lakes

Comment

It surprised me by arriving earlier than expected. I have it assembled and just sitting here. Now, I have to dig a space in a snow drift to set it outside to get it going. My wind screen isn't done yet. Design issues. It should be simple, but I just have to make things difficult. The windscreen will double as a canoe carrier for the car. The only part left is to figure out the hinges. I think that's also decided on, but it has to be tested before making the final decision.

For now, the snow is deep enough to provide a good break against the wind.

Jerry. aka. 5lakes
                        Jerry aka 5lakes

Comment

Get on it Man!...Good on ya fer the new toy!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Pix!! We like PIX!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I dug a small cove out of a snow bank to set it outside. This is where I will be using it if we get a break in the weather. Tonight is more snow, then this week temps are supposed to get slightly above zero most days, but sink below every night. I brought it right back inside after taking the photo.

Jerry aka 5lakes

Comment

Working...
                              X