what does it take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does it take?

other than a place to host it, a place for the folks to stay if need be, and a few days to sit back, relax, and cook some good food, what does it take to get a cookoff together? I'd LOVE to take it on if I could, and have a couple places here in Omaha that would be great... even have a line to a couple local comp teams that I'm sure would love to participate. I just have no clue where to start.

could anyone care to illustrate the finer points of a contest prep cycle? maybe make it a sticky if we can get some quality info together?

mind you, i am interested in hosting it according to the KCBS rules and guidelines, but in all honesty, i couldn't care less. i am mainly looking for an excuse to get out, enjoy some food, and relax with friends.

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Perhaps contact the KCBS if you have interest. They are VERY helpful...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

don't get lippy with me old man... that'd be too simple. lol

Later,
      Andy
      Current babies:
      Former Lineup:
      -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
        don't get lippy with me old man... that'd be too simple. lol
        Heh... I am a judge, if that helps- I'd be happy to toss it out there to them. I do know for a first time comp they are VERY leinient on requirements. And if you can get some certified judges willing to commit to judging, they'd be real happy to sanction one.
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

well, for being a VERY first time deal, i'll probably waive the KCBS stuff this time. i think it'd be a blast, as well as a major selling point to recruit some teams to show up, but it's not really what I am aiming for this time around. I'm almost thinking of a summer get-together... more than a weekend (maybe wednesday thru sunday?), get a few campsites together, and just have some fun. obviously, hook up the smokers and have some good food every night, but nothing too formal.

maybe one night do chicken, another night have some pork, then brisket, etc, etc. maybe have some friendly wagers going on? lol

i guess, what I am trying to get at is that since i have never done anything like this before, it's probably be better just to do a "dry fire" and see what happens.

with that being said, would anyone be up for it? like i said, a week of eat food, relaxing, and dealing with my smart-ass bullshit... what's better than that? lol

Later,
          Andy
          Current babies:
          Former Lineup:

Comment

A week would be nice- but unrealistic in my book. Long weekend? Now yer talking. Maybe get it going for a Friday nite, and breakfast bash Sunday before noon...

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              A week would be nice- but unrealistic in my book. Long weekend? Now yer talking. Maybe get it going for a Friday nite, and breakfast bash Sunday before noon...
              let's DO this!!!
              Current babies:
              Former Lineup:

Comment

hmmmm... my birthday is on a friday this year...
                Current babies:
                Former Lineup:

Comment

Rich I have been wondering about this same thing, Duluth has a great park call bayfront park every year in august they have a geat blues fest. But this park should be used more I would love to bring it to the city council on have a Q contest..where does one begin
                  sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                  members mark upright propane smoker
                  kingsford bbq
                  23"weber kettle

Comment

Originally posted by Jimh View Post
                    Rich I have been wondering about this same thing, Duluth has a great park call bayfront park every year in august they have a geat vblues fest I would love to bring it to the city council on have a Q contest..where does one begin
                    Contact the KCBS. Anyone a judge/member there local? that would help..but they are always looking for new comps, Jim. Plus..it lends an air of authenticity and professionalisim to the deal...

Comment

www.kcbs.us is the website. they have a great basic walk-thru in their application form that I found. it's at least worth a look.
                      Current babies:
                      Former Lineup:

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
                        www.kcbs.us is the website. they have a great basic walk-thru in their application form that I found. it's at least worth a look.
                        These guys WANT to promote good Q! And, well, their status as the ruling org... but they are good Joes, and have resources and quality folk to back them up.

Comment

Take a read here... http://www.kcbs.us/about_sanctioning.php This may help..
                          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

IMHO, the first step if you want to have a comp is picking out your sanctioning org. They usally have a promoters package to go by, the rules and etc. I know down here LSBS does. I have been promoting one here for going on 4 years, alot of work but a lot of fun, I think it would be great to have a place where folks who wanted to promote a cook off to have a place to share ideas of what works and what don't.

Comment

Many states have their own bbq assoc. I know SC, NC, GA and FL have their own. Your state might too. In SC we have three; kcbs, scba (south carolina bbq assoc) and sbn (southern bbq network). If you want just a weekend get together that would be pretty easy...we have those a couple times a year and call them cook arounds. No judging but just good food. Some of the folks do compete and they use they venue as a testing ground to see if they can come up with the next great rub or sauce. A true contest like for KCBS is certainly an expensive thing. You need to have sponsors and decent prize money for the cooks. Don't forget the electricy, water and restroom facilities. Good luck no matter which way you go.
                              www.nopigleftbehind.com
                              -----------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X