The sometimes cost of doing what you love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sometimes cost of doing what you love

Thanks for the points and encouragement from my previous Pork Roulade post. Here is the sometimes cost of doing what you love. Yesterday I was butchering sections of beef chuck without a cutting glove. Cutting through a thick area of fat my knife slipped and got the better of the middle finger on my holding hand. Moments later I was at the emergency room in Nebraska City getting nine stitches in my finger. Moments after returning to work, steel mesh gloves were ordered for us three meat cutters. Put in another 6 hrs cutting meat after that to finish an eleven hr day. That cow was not going to take itself apart!

Never stop.

Dave

OUCH....sure makes a interesting look though....A guy next to us at Jack Daniels Invitational in october cut the tip of a finger clean off trimming his brisket...Good thing for him our RV is loaded with medical supplies...

Comment

OH man that sucks. Hope everything turns out for you.
      Propane Smoke Shack
      UDS
      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
      sigpic

Comment

Yeeeouch. Well, it'll heal fast at least...good sharp knife!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Yeah but there ain't nothin' cooler than battle scars. Well unless other digits are getting in the way.
          Take care of that finger. My Mom cut herself while dicing onions and neglected it. I tried to call her one morning and she didn't answer the phone. I tried repeatedly and I knew she was home (she lives next door to me). Then I was calling and my wife was knocking and still no answer. So I broke the door down and the next call I made was 911. She spent 3 days in ICU over that stupid finger getting infected. Guaranteed she doesn't neglect seemingly small cuts anymore.

Tom

Comment

OUCH!!

Had to have the tip of my thumb sewn back on about 18 yrs ago. Not fun.

Speedy healing to ya.
            Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
            Modified Chargriller RF
            250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

When I first saw the pic I thought you were saying hi! Reminds me of the SNL skit with Dan Aykroyd as Julis Child.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaASyRFXTj4
              sigpic

GOSM/propane
              UDS (Cam)/lump
              22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
              Weber Genesis/propane
              Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Thanx guys. I'll take good care of this as my hands make my living. And I have to admit I've already mentioned to my wife how cool the scar might be!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
                  When I first saw the pic I thought you were saying hi! Reminds me of the SNL skit with Dan Aykroyd as Julis Child.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaASyRFXTj4
                  Holy Shiznit! I remember that skit!! If only SNL was still that good and uh...cutting edge!

Dave

Comment

so do you have short fingers or is it bent in the pic ?
                    because it looks like you've lost at least the whole top joint

hope it heals fast
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

keep it up and youl need one of these............
                      sigpic
                      it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Prayer sent for the fingers recovery, It'll be signaling other drivers again in no time.

Comment

I've been considering one of those mesh gloves but didn't care for the price but I may reconsider now.

Heal quickly so you can get back at it.

Comment

Ouch, Heal quickly. bummer

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                              so do you have short fingers or is it bent in the pic ?
                              because it looks like you've lost at least the whole top joint

hope it heals fast
                              LOL No, I have "normal" fingers. I think it just looks fat and short because of the swelling from the injections (2 at the base of the finger) and all of the gauze wrapping. I didn't actually remove any part of it, just cut the hell out of it. I looked at the cut for the first time this morning and it's ugly but could have been much worse. Nothing got hurt worse than my pride. It'll be all good in no time. Stitches out in 12 days.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X