Bialys, Yum!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bialys, Yum!!!

Lee's pretzels inspired me somewhat. I haven't made bagels in a while, so I thought I'd whip some out tomorrow, which meant I'd have to get some starter ready. But then I thought maybe a regular yeasted bread for a cold snowy day like today. Then I remembered a recipe I'd seen some time ago. So without further adieu;

Bialys

From Wikipedia
    Bialy, a Yiddish word short for bialystoker kuchen, from Białystok, a city in Poland, is a small roll that is a traditional dish in Polish Ashkenazi cuisine. A traditional bialy has a diameter of up to 15 cm (6 inches) and is a chewy yeast roll similar to a bagel. Unlike a bagel, which is boiled before baking, a bialy is simply baked, and instead of a hole in the middle it has a depression. Before baking, this depression is filled with diced onions and other ingredients, including (depending on the recipe) garlic, poppy seeds, or bread crumbs
    Onion Filling Ingredients
    1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
    1/3 cup minced onion
    1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt

In a small bowl, combine vegetable or olive oil, poppy seeds, onions, and salt; set aside.

Bialy Ingredients
    Cornmeal
    Onion Topping (recipe below)
    2 cups warn water (110 to 115 degrees), divided
    1 package active dry yeast
    2 teaspoons granulated sugar
    2 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1 3/4 cups bread flour
    3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Prepare Onion Topping; set aside. (I didn't use parchment paper because I thought the corn meal was plenty of lubrication.)

In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup water, yeast, and sugar; let stand 10 minutes or until foamy.

Add remaining 1 1/2 cups water, salt, bread flour, and all-purpose flour. Knead by hand or with dough hook of mixer for 8 minutes until smooth (the dough will be soft). If you think the dough is too moist - add flour, a tablespoon at a time. If the dough is looking dry and gnarly - add warm water, a tablespoons at a time.

Form dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to oil all sides.

Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 1 1/2 hours or until tripled in bulk.

Punch dough down in bowl, turn it over, cover with plastic wrap,
    and let rise another 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

On a floured board or counter, punch dough down and roll into a cylinder shape.

With a sharp knife, cut cylinder into 8 rounds. Lay dough rounds flat on a lightly floured board, cover with a towel, and let them rest 10 minutes.

Gently pat each dough round into circles (a little higher in the middle than at the edge), each about 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Place bialys on prepared baking sheets, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise an additional 30 minutes or until increased by about half in bulk (don’t let them over-rise).

Make an indention in the center of each bialy with two fingers of each hand, pressing from the center outward, leaving a 1-inch rim. Place approximately 1 teaspoon of Onion Topping in the hole of each bialy. Dust lightly with flour, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Bake on upper and lower shelves of the oven for 6 to 7 minutes, then switch pans and reverse positions of pans (front to back), and bake another 5 to 6 minutes until bialys are lightly browned. NOTE: These are soft rolls, and it is important not to bake them too long or they will be very dry. Remove from oven and let cool.

After cooling, immediately place in a plastic bag (this will allow the exterior to soften slightly). NOTE: These rolls are best eaten fresh, preferably lightly toasted and smeared with cream cheese. For longer storage, keep in the freezer.

Makes 8 bialys.

These things are awesome. I had a sliver of the middle of one with the onion mixture and the family finished them off. They are chewy, but not as chewy as a bagel. This is definitely going in the bread recipe book.

Tom

these look great...nice job!
    sigpic
    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Wow those things look amazingly good. Great thread and thanks for the recipe Tom.................

Comment

You Friggin Suck!... This is now in the top 3 ta get on it list!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
          You Friggin Suck!... This is now in the top 3 ta get on it list!
          Ditto! ...... ..... Rocked it Tom!
          sigpic

Comment

I already think I like those better than a bagel. Great looking rolls, Tom.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Sweet....

Comment

Niiice! They fold those over completely here and call 'em New Yorkers. I LOVE those things! Nice work, Skinny!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Damn those look great - gotta go on the to do soon list
                  Scarbelly

Comment

Thanks folks. I'm on a bread making frenzy this week. Got some more coming up.

Tom

Comment

You Sir, need to go back to work ... Great post ...

Comment

Those look awesome!

Going to have to try them.

Nice work.
                        Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
                        Modified Chargriller RF
                        250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Gunny...
                          I had to save this one for later use!!

Here's a PDF of the recipe :-D
                          Attached Files
                          ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

Awesome Gunny, another on the list!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Nice post and great looking bread

Comment

Working...
                              X