Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strawberry Creamcheese Braid. Here We Go Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry Creamcheese Braid. Here We Go Again.

Been a while since I made these. I love this stuff, and you'd think that it'd kill me making it. But actually it's very therapeutic and the more I resist the temptation, the weaker those cravings get. So I think it's doing me some good. Plus we have an abundance of strawberries in the freezer, so It's time to get rid of them.

This recipe makes 2 braids.

Sponge
    1 tablespoon instant yeast
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 1/2 cup warm milk (115°+ or -)
    2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

For the sponge: mix the sugar, yeast, and flour together in bowl. Pour in the warm milk. Beat until smooth, then cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 1/2 hour.

Dough
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/3 cup sugar
    2 1/2-3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

Add the eggs, salt, sugar, and one cup of the flour to the sponge. Beat until smooth. Then add the butter in small chunks and beat well. Add the remaining flour a handful at a time and mix in until a soft but kneadable dough is achieved and the butter thoroughly incorporated.

Knead the dough by hand or with a mixer until it is smooth and satiny, about 5 minutes.

Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap.

Let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Deflate the dough, recover the bowl, and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, make the fillings before shaping the loaves.

Strawberry Filling
    2 cups strawberries, quartered
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    2 tablespoons lemon juice

Strawberry Filling: combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool.

Egg Glaze
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon milk

Egg Glaze: combine the egg and milk in a bowl and beat until combined.

Cream Cheese Filling
    3/4 cup cream cheese
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon egg glaze

Cream Cheese Filling: combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined

Once your filling has cooled off, take the dough out of the refrigerator and gently deflate it.

Divide it into two pieces. Use a rolling pin to shape each piece into a thin (1 cm) rectangle.

Spread your fillings in the center of the dough.

At an angle, slice the sides of the dough into tabs approximately 1 inch wide.
    Oops! Forgot to take a picture of that. Here's someone else's picture, but they used blueberries.

Alternating from side to side, fold the pieces in over the filling. When possible, gentle press on the tabs to seal the folds.

After it has been fully folded, glaze the braid with egg wash. Cover loosely with plastic. Set aside to rise until doubled in size, approximately 45 minutes. While it is rising, preheat the oven to 350.

Just before placing the braid in the oven, glaze it again with any remaining egg wash. Bake on the center rack of the oven for approximately 35 to 40 minutes, rotating it once after 20 minutes so that it bakes evenly. Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for at least half an hour before slicing.

I gave the nice large one to a friend and kept the smaller one for the family to munch on for breakfast. Life is good.

Tom

Damn that looks good.........
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Sooo..you don't eat any of this art you have been baking? OMG. That's beautiful. And I bet it's damned good! Bravo!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Yano slim, I hope you realise I can't give you points for awhile. But that is a work of art. insert my hats off to you Icon "here" Very nice Tom.

Comment

Daaaammmmnnnnnn does that look good nice job
          sigpic
          homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Sooo..you don't eat any of this art you have been baking? OMG. That's beautiful. And I bet it's damned good! Bravo!
            I can eat toasted whole grain breads, but............ YUCK!!!!
            I WON'T eat anything that has a lot of sugar. That's part of the old habits that got me fat. But I'm glad you like it.

Tom

Comment

nice job and that color is great! i've been doing an apple one lately but i've been cheating and using this.........

mine comes out more like a struddel
              sigpic
              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Dude - URchit'n me, that's awesome, Sigh... one more one the list that never get's smaller. fer it.
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

holy crap... i actually have everything in my house for a recipe... that's a first. lol. I may be trying it this weekend. oh crap... i need strawberries... off to the market we go... again...

Later,
                  Andy
                  Current babies:
                  -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                  -RichTee's Lang :)
                  Former Lineup:
                  -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                  -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                  -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                  -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                  BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Congrats I am watching that meter go up as they fall off my friend! Great job!

I have to tell you, reading and following the pix, I swear to God I could smell it... that is one faking amazing piece of art Tom. Im out on the re-load I owe mucho pts!! gorgeous bread!!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Well Tom, I've been saving some just for this! That's some awesome looking bread.
                      sigpic
                      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                        Congrats I am watching that meter go up as they fall off my friend! Great job!

I have to tell you, reading and following the pix, I swear to God I could smell it... that is one faking amazing piece of art Tom. Im out on the re-load I owe mucho pts!! gorgeous bread!!!
                        i'll given to him for ya! i have plenty. lol

Later,
                        Andy
                        Current babies:
                        -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                        -RichTee's Lang :)
                        Former Lineup:
                        -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                        -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                        -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                        -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                        BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Off to Publix fer some s-berries. Ya Brat.
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I got some point for that!
                            "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Thanks guys and girl. I appreciate it.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X