help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

Ok, here it is, everytime I get a deer or a fish, or a trukey,I think I want to smoke it, I go to the web, and start readying then I chicken out. Is there not one thing that you can do for all meat. I read this guy use 4gal. of water mixes salt till he can float an egg in it, then he will fill bucket up with orange juice, use that for fish. but for deer meat a roast you must a,b,c, but for summer sauage use cure power # one, but don't use that on, well you get the idea. can anyone tell me for fish do this and bring it up this temp let it rest then eat, but for a butt roast, do?????????????? Maybe I am getting bar-b-q and smoking mixed up. I know about woods, and smokers, heat,and all that, I just want to know what to do with the meat before I get to the smoking part to keep from making someone sick, for fish always brine, for roast brine and inject for chickens brine or put cure powder #one. Help,help,help.
    Thanks to any and all that can help.
    Shooter44

Originally posted by Shooter44 View Post
    Ok, here it is, everytime I get a deer or a fish, or a trukey,I think I want to smoke it, I go to the web, and start readying then I chicken out. Is there not one thing that you can do for all meat. I read this guy use 4gal. of water mixes salt till he can float an egg in it, then he will fill bucket up with orange juice, use that for fish. but for deer meat a roast you must a,b,c, but for summer sauage use cure power # one, but don't use that on, well you get the idea. can anyone tell me for fish do this and bring it up this temp let it rest then eat, but for a butt roast, do?????????????? Maybe I am getting bar-b-q and smoking mixed up. I know about woods, and smokers, heat,and all that, I just want to know what to do with the meat before I get to the smoking part to keep from making someone sick, for fish always brine, for roast brine and inject for chickens brine or put cure powder #one. Help,help,help.
    Thanks to any and all that can help.
    Shooter44

Welcome Shooter...

Well no need to chicken out... All your meats have different flavors and different textures.. So it is the best to marinade or use a different rubs to enhance the natural flavors... The danger zone on meats is between 40* to 140*.... You also want to run your smoker from around 220* to 275* some others will smoke a little higher.. In those cases you are doing poultry.. I do not cure any of the poultry I smoke.. As for beef and pork I just use rubs..

There is a ton of information in each of the forums.. Also you may want to read up on some of the meat safety threads on from handling to cooking.. http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Once again welcome and feel free to ask any questions..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Shooter.

I am by no means an expert here, but you've come to an excellent place for information! I have seen folks who brine their poultry and who do not....it all looks like it comes out good. I think you just have to experiment a little and develop your own process and way of doing things based on your taste.
      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
      Pink Thermapen
      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Shooter I know where your coming from man. You stand all morning up in a tree stand, maybe days and finally here he comes, that 4 year old buck with great body tone. Just snorting and rubbing every tree in sight. You draw that string back, release and about 10 seconds later he is down and the fight is over. You process him and you have all this venison. Then what? You don't want to ruin it, you want it done right. Well I can tell ya right from the start, in my younger years I ruined a few venison roasts my friend. I was afraid to smoke them and when I did they were dry and over cooked. SO I gave up on smoking went back to my outdoor fire pit and roasted them over an open fire and coals. In the mean time I read and read and asked every question of anybody I could find who smoked venison. Its not an easy thing to learn. But, soak that venison in some milk for about 4 to 6 hours it takes some of the gaminess out of them. I don't marinade my venison but I know those that do. I put a good mix of some pork and beef rub on them, not a high sugar rub, more peppery in my mind is best. Then I wrap them in bacon, not lean bacon. I like a good thick apple smoked bacon. I get my smoker up to 250 and hold it there. Then that rubbed, bacon wrapped venison goes in. At 165 it comes out, let it rest wrapped in blankets for 1 hour. Then the bacon comes off and the slicing begins. Great stuff. I use the same rub and bacon wrp on dove and pheasant.

Best thing to do and your doing it. Ask questions. Pick some answers you think you like and can do with what equipment you have. Give it a try. If it doesn't turn out to your liking, go back to those who gave you answers and tell them how it turned out. Get some feedback from them. We all want you to turn out fine smoked meat. And not just those of us in this forum. Everybody who smokes meat anywhere wants you to succeed. We all love to show off our skills yes, but when we help turn a beginner into a happy experienced smoker we all get that twinkle in our eye. Smoking any meat is not easy. It gets easier with time, failure and success.

But don't be afraid. You will get it figured out. You will be happy. Practice on some pork butt/ribs, some chuckies and yard bird. Going from farm raised meats to wild game is easy. Just give it a try and try again. You'll make it. If we can all do it, you can too.

Shooter This is one crazy, challenging hobby.
        sigpic

Comment

David, that was very well said and you should be applauded!

Comment

Welcome Shooter44,

See if I can shed any light.

Cooking in heat over 200 degrees will not give the meat a chance to spoil because it gets past 140 degrees so quickly. For this type of cooking/smoking/bbqing, marinades and rubs are used to enhance flavor. Undercooking would be the way you could get somebody sick using this method. Cook pork to an internal temp of 160 or above will kill any bugs. Cook chicken to an internal temp of 170 to kill the salmonella bugs.

Hot smoking things like turkey, sausage, fish, jerky,pastrami just to name a few, require cure #1. The curing of the meat keeps it from spoiling so you can smoke it slowly, usually between 130 to 200 degrees. The cure will also enhance the flavor and texture and color of the meat. Like pastrami instead of brisket, or ham instead of pork roast. Hot smoking will usually result in a fully cooked product.

Curing will also allow the meat to be cold smoked where there is smoke applied at temps usually below 100 degrees, if you have a setup that can accomplish that. Bacon, cold smoked salmon, and some types of sausage are smoked in this manner. Cold smoking results in an uncooked product.

If you have an interest in making cured products(that venison sure makes some fine sausage) there is a lot of folks here that can help or here are a couple of excellent books on the subject.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=413

http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Cr.../dp/0393058298

Keith

Comment

keith, did you mean COLD smoking needs the cure? HOT smoking shouldn't need it.............

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                keith, did you mean COLD smoking needs the cure? HOT smoking shouldn't need it.............
                What I mean by hot smoking is 130 to 200 degrees to make a fully cooked product like summer sausage, keilbasa, or snack sticks. Cure is needed IMO to use these temps. Hotter than cold smoking but cooler than bbq.

Sorry if I confused anybody.
                Keith

Comment

Here's a poultry brine, injection an a universal fer everthin spritz:
                  Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles
                  1 ½ Gal Water
                  ½ C Salt (picklin er kosher)
                  ½ C Dark Brown Sugar
                  2 tsp Garlic Powder
                  2 tsp Onion Powder
                  2 tsp Cajun Spice (Louisiana Cajun Seasoning)
                  2 tsp Celery Seed

Slaughterhouse Poultry Injection
                  ½ Pkg Good Seasons Italian Dressing
                  2 tsp Garlic Powder
                  2 tsp Celery Seed
                  2 TBS melted Butter (non salted)
                  2 C Apple Cider

Slaughterhouse Spritz (Good fer everthin!)
                  8 oz Apple Cider
                  6 oz Water
                  4 oz Whiskey
                  2 oz Cider Vinegar

I would inject a turkey but not needed on a chicken. I brine both. Spritz each hour.

Fer fish:

Fish Brine #1
                  By Tip Piper, Jr.

1 Gal Water
                  1 C Salt
                  1 C Brown Sugar
                  1 tsp Garlic Powder
                  1 tsp Onion Powder
                  1/2 C Soy Sauce

Heat to boil then cool.

Fish Brown Sugar Rub

Brush fish with honey
                  Lay fish face down in Brown Sugar for 1 hour

Butts, rub em wrap em an smoke em the next day.

Beef, rub em wrap em an smoke em the next day.

These items cause of there vast array a differences:

Sausage, foller the recipe yall be fine.

Bacon, canadian an other, foller a recipe yall be fine.

As ya gain more experience ya can branch out from basic reciepe's an start developin yer own mixtures an styles. Don't think of it as bein so complicated, it ain't, ya just need ta foller some basics in the beginin an yer gonna do swell. Ask questions whenever ya need to!
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys for the come backs, there is always some good things in these forums once again thanks for all the help, will be getting the smoke hose going.
                    shooter44

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter44 View Post
                      Thanks guys for the come backs, there is always some good things in these forums once again thanks for all the help, will be getting the smoke hose going.
                      shooter44
                      Welcome Shooter..but WTF is a smoke hose?

We got yer back... many fine pitmasters here...I aspire to the standards posted daily in these forums.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Just to clarify cooking temps:

Poultry needs to go to 165 F for 15 seconds (Salmonella dies at 152 F)

Pork, Lamb, Beef Roasts need to go to 145 F for 4 minutes

Pork Beef Lamb chops need to go to 145 F for 15 seconds

Mammals go by the Beef Lamb Pork rules. Feathers go by the chicken rules.
                        Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post

I think it has something to do with a bad aim....

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post

We got yer back... many fine pitmasters here...I aspire to the standards posted daily in these forums.

Sumtin a firefighter uses?

Ifin I was gonna gues that should be a smoke house?
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X