Previous drum contents/liner issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previous drum contents/liner issues

Hi all, have some questions about sourcing a drum for a smoker build.

It seems the drums with the maroon coating are no good unless its mechanically removed, glad i know to avoid those

Ive also heard using a drum that previously contained oil/grease is a poor idea as this can become trapped in the metal and leach out over time, not good!

Issue is, it seems like those are my only two choices. All the "food grade" barrels seem to have that pesky coating and when i stumble on something without it has held petroleum at some point.

Ive found a good source for coating free barrels for rather cheap, they held hydraulic oil before. My thought is a super good cleaning with some hot water through a pressure washer to get any surface stuff out, then a good hot bake with a big load of wood for a couple hours to "bake" out anything left.

Thoughts? I'm ready to pick something up and get started, but wanna see what the pro's have to say first.

Thanks!

I would actually prefer a clean interior from a container used for petroleum. Yes the metal acts as a sponge for gasoline and diesle. Oils, not so much. As you said a good cleaning followed by a good hot burn, will do the trick. But be careful if you get a barrel that has contained fuel because it will contain fumes that can ignite when you cut into it. Best bet, find someone to pop the top(the bung end)for you, before you start on it. That way the fumes can't get trapped and build up. Good luck and take pics
    JT

Comment

if you are worried about the media being into the metal then if you got a container supply in your area that sells recondition drums that might be the better option for you me personally have a guy i get my drum from and they had floor glue in them but it was bagged so not much gets into the drum...
      Mike
      Oklahoma City
      22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
      Weber 22.5 Performer
      GOSM 3405gw
      Boomer Sooner Drum
      Maverick ET-732
      Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
      A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Yep, finding a decent drum can be quite a challenge. The ones with the liner are very difficult to remove to bare metal. Ones that held petroleum products are usually closed end which makes the build a little more complex.

There has been lots of debate on the safety of the lined ones. A lot of people are convinced if the huge burn doesn't get the liner out, then there is no danger from cooking in one at smoker temps especially once they are good and seasoned. I, for one, am not convinced since the only evidence to support the claim that it's okay is anecdotal. No one with a chemistry background (that I know of) has ever said, "It's okay because of this, this and this."

I'm with WF -- if I had to choose, I'd go with the petrol one. At least you can get it to bare metal. Scrub, burn, then scrub again. I would have much more faith in fire getting all the remnants of the petrol product than I would cooking with the liner still in there.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

if you google drum recycling or reconditioning you might find a bargain.

of course i found out my bargain has paint inside, i'll let you know this weekend how removing that goes.

Comment

At the dealership I work at we have a tool that removes the top but leaves the lip. It worked perfect for a weber kettle top. It used to have transmission fluid. Cleaned it with Dawn and a powerwasher. Seemed to clean up well. Food tastes good out of it.
            Keith

Comment

Originally posted by bigun94 View Post
              of course i found out my bargain has paint inside, i'll let you know this weekend how removing that goes.
              If you can't burn it, you should be able to wirewheel it. With eye protection, ear plugs AND a good mask of course.

So don't skimp on the dry wood when you do your burn out.

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                At the dealership I work at we have a tool that removes the top but leaves the lip. It worked perfect for a weber kettle top. It used to have transmission fluid. Cleaned it with Dawn and a powerwasher. Seemed to clean up well. Food tastes good out of it.
                Looks beautiful!

Dave
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                -

Comment

When I did mine it had jet fuel in it....Throwed a cheap ass 20# bag of charcoal in it...Horizontal....Got after it with the weed burner in Afterburner...OH Yeah! Got it hotter than Louie when she met Dale Jr. Oh Man...that just friggin hurt! Uhhh....kept rolling it around horizontal...Then vertical & throwed some wood in it...Washed & wired & painted like the other Cat's...
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Ok sounds like previous contents won't be an issue.

Another quick question instead of starting a new thread:

If I have a closed head drum that I cut the top off of, can I use a standard lid and clamp on that drum? Obviously I would have to leave the outside ridge alone but I can't see why it wouldn't work...
                    Last edited by ColdFusion21; 01-26-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

If you have a local beer brewery in town check with them, I got a few from one in my town for only five dollars each and they were gold colored and had a thin yellow liner that burned right out with a weedburner with no sanding or wire brushing.

Comment

Working...
                      X