back yard chickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back yard chickens

I have no idea where to post this so if it needs moved please do so.

I just 'harvested' some of my really old hens (my first time). Old like 4 or 5 years old.

I have heard that they are too tough to eat but make good stock, so I took a couple of the birds and made some stock. It is great!!
    I nibbled on some of the meat when I was straining the stock and it was still very flavorful. It was not stringy or tough. Well I wouldn't think it would be tough after 6 hours of simmering. but I was really surprised how it was still tasty.
    Here is my question. Have any of you done anything with your old birds besides make stock?
    I feel like I might be missing out on something here.
    Check out the picture of the fat I skimmed off the top of the stock. It is the color of thier egg yolks. What's up with that?

Thanks
    Mo

On Edit...duh! I should have posted this in the poultry forum!
    Dang I'm blond
    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

I have heard that a diet high in corn, will color a chickens fat gold.
    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Sure has a nice color to it . If its not tough cut it up for pot pie or what ever you like.

Comment

We don't give them any corn. Organic crumble maybe has some corn, but we don't give them scratch. Greens from the garden and sunflower seeds for treats and all the bugs they can find in the yard.

Comment

You could do a coq au vin.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Me old neighbor does what you basically did with older Hens....Stock or soups/pressure cooked etc...That really does soften up that old hen.......Possibility someone has though...I hate plucking chickens...
            Last edited by ALX; 01-25-2011, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
              Possibility someone has though...
              That's what I am wondering. Like sausage?

I have just heard such bad things about eating old birds that I am so surprised how, not bad they are. Really flavorful.
              I know I can try and see what happens, I am just wondering if anyone has gone there before?
              The stock is crazy delicious. If nothing else I will make two batches of stock from each set of bones and not one and throw it out.

Thanks, if anyone has more imput keep it coming. I appriciate it.
              Mo

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                I hate plucking chickens...
                I took them to a USDA processor, $3.00 a piece. It was the deal of the century IMO.

Comment

Them hens still laying eggs MO...I know my mom in old days growing up on working farm they never wasted anytjing etc..My old neighbor and his nephew raise a few(10 or so) just for eggs...The feed would have impact in my opinion..... thanks for this thread...Good Stuff....

Comment

Hmmm. so it's what they were eating then from what you all say.
                    OK. I was wondering if it was because they were old maybe.
                    I have had other peoples CornishX backyard chickens. The kind that are raised for meat and they ate the same feed and I didn't notice the fat being so yellow. Doesn't mean it wasn't, just that I didn't notice.
                    Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by moselle View Post
                      Hmmm. so it's what they were eating then from what you all say.
                      OK. I was wondering if it was because they were old maybe.
                      I have had other peoples CornishX backyard chickens. The kind that are raised for meat and they ate the same feed and I didn't notice the fat being so yellow. Doesn't mean it wasn't, just that I didn't notice.
                      Thanks!!
                      I was just throwinf the feed and conditions out MO....Gunny i believe and some others grow them chickens....I am looking forward to experimenting in future myself....I will ask my neighbor tommorow on how he does it....I know he does everything natural etc...

Comment

We use to raise meat birds as well as layers. The only way I know how to tender up the old ones is like ALX stated is by pressure cooking them or maybe grind them up and make a spead.

We use to raise 100 meat birds every year and you can't beat the birds for eating. Butcher in 4 month then to the freezer.

Miss the meat but not the birds. Use to enjoy alot of things when I was younger.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          You could do a coq au vin.

judging from how they were from making stock, this would be a good place to start...........
                          sigpic
                          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                            judging from how they were from making stock, this would be a good place to start...........
                            That's what I was thinking... or a provencal.

Crap..I better watch it or I'm gonna come under french suspicion...

COULD do paprikash as well!
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              Crap..I better watch it or I'm gonna come under french suspicion...
                              just don't give up anything soon............
                              sigpic
                              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Working...
                              X