Irish Soda Bread Cooked on the Wood Stove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Soda Bread Cooked on the Wood Stove

Looking in the fridge at lunch time and saw a bottle of butter milk that needed to be consumed. I can't drink buttermilk, but I can cook with it.
    Had a nice fire and it's a crappy winter day, so I decided that a nice Irish soda bread cooked on top of the wood stove was in order.
    Irish soda bread is a super easy quick bread that you "should" cook in a Dutch oven. It is also fantastic made with smoked flour, which I am out of.

First, the recipe:

White Soda Bread

4 cups (16 oz) of all purpose flour.
    1 Teaspoon baking soda
    1 Teaspoon salt
    14 oz of buttermilk

Method:

Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly spray a Dutch oven with Pam.

In a large bowl sift and combine all the dry ingredients.

Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape)

Shape into a round, about 8 inches in diameter and cut a cross in the top of the dough. Place in bottom of Dutch oven.

Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped if it is done.

Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.

What it looks like outside. I wish I had put my 4 wheeler away last night. At least it'll hold up a scoop shovel.

The cooking apparatus. Don't pay no attention to that flue thermometer. The top of the stove is around 480° according to the Thermoworks IR thermometer.

Gotta have a pot of water, or the house gets too dry.

15 minutes without the lid. Sure looks purty.

Cooling a bit.

Beautiful, wish I could eat this. I'll do it vicariously through my family.

And one more.

If you want an easy, quick bread, this is as good as any. We like to have it with chili or brown beans and ham instead of cornbread once in a while.

Tom

Very Nice Gunny! .... Thats sweet you can bake on top of your woodstove
    sigpic

Comment

sure looks good - wish i had some of that with a pot of beans!
      ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

OMG yes, that would taste great with some good chili or bean soup. Nicely done
        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I just bumped this up on my list, it's #2 after I try my sourdough this weekend. Right on thanks Tom
          JT

Comment

Good looking bread, Tom. I have a recipe for it, just never made it. Got me thinking now.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Slim! Man O Man...You on it!...Purty!...Dat white crap ain't happen! Do like that wood stove...Got one on the hope list for my garage...
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                Dat white crap ain't happen!
                I wish it didn't happen. We didn't get it too bad though. About 6 inches is it. Not enough to keep the ATV grounded.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  ...... I can't drink buttermilk.....
                  not sure who can.......great lookin' ISB!
                  sigpic
                  it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Great looking bread Tom -
                    Scarbelly

Comment

That is a winner for sure. I've been wanting to do a few loaves of that every St. Pats for awhile. Even have a few recipes on hand. This will push me for sure. A recipe can't get much simpler than that can it? (cept maybe our churches communion bread recipe, I think its just WW flour and perrier. We got another blast of the white crap too, also -20 the last couple mornings. That 4 wheeler needs a blade mounted on it not propped on it
                      sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Looks great!! So all these breads you make you dont eat any? Damn thats gotta be tough.

Comment

Fabulous Irish soda bread Tom! awesome way to cook it to boot!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

The freakin' McGyver of the kitchen, I tell ya... Man could make a meal with a match and a rhino! Nice stuff, Gunny.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That sure does look good, I wish I had some with that bowl of chili I had a few hours ago.
                              Thanks for the recipe Tom
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X