Temp Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp Gauge

i'll eventually order one of those cool 732 dual probe digital deals i'm sure.

but i'd like to have a temp gauge on the front of my UDS.

i bought an turkey thermometer at HD and it was 50 - 60 degrees off last night.

the ones they have for grill lids don't have a long probe. would they work?

Check out BBQ Bubba's site. Don't tell him I sent ya or it'll cost double.

www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Be aware that there'a about a 40° difference between the center and edge as well so if you get a thermo with a short probe, it's going to read low.

My Teltru with the short stem reads 200° when it's closer to 240ish in the center. So when I was using it, that's what my target was.

My 12" deep fry thermo though is pretty darn close to a digital in the center.

Daev
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
        Be aware that there'a about a 40° difference between the center and edge as well so if you get a thermo with a short probe, it's going to read low.

My Teltru with the short stem reads 200° when it's closer to 240ish in the center. So when I was using it, that's what my target was.

Daev
        What he said, the 12" turkey one you have is the best, maybe yours needs to be calibrated?

Comment

thanks guys i took the HD thermometer back it was really out of whack and i have no idea how to calibrate it.

i'll see what else i can find

bubba is all out of thermometers right now.

Comment

Hmmm how bout here? SmokyOkie's place...

http://usbbqsupply.com/home/index.ph...i5c1cp3m0kgst5
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Hmmm how bout here? SmokyOkie's place...

http://usbbqsupply.com/home/index.ph...i5c1cp3m0kgst5
              thanks. if i don't find something at lunch i'll order one. there's a little bbq store not far from my office

Comment

Originally posted by bigun94 View Post
                thanks guys i took the HD thermometer back it was really out of whack and i have no idea how to calibrate it.

Most of the inexpensive thermos can't be calibrated.

I've just been using this one as of late.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Although I like the looks of my Teltru better.

http://www.teltru.com/s-142-black-dial.aspx

It has a short stem and isn't very useful during warmup. Although someone posted recently that if you call Teltru, they will make a BQ300 with a long stem. Only issue would be you'd have to remove it to get the charcoal basket in or out. With the deep fry thermo, it slides right out of a big bolt I have mounted on the drum.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post

Daev
                  This it true in my UDS as well until the temps settle down. I have two analog thermometers on the side and one has about a 8 inch stem and the other has about a 4 inch stem and they are always different.
                  Propane Smoke Shack
                  UDS
                  Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                  sigpic

Comment

i got a replacement gauge from a local supply house for a green egg clone they sell. guy sold it to me for $ 10 bucks i'll see how it does.

it has approx. 3" stem

Comment

i bought a turkey thermo at academy sports for $5 and it actually pretty accurate to my maverick et-732 in the center grate .....
                      Mike
                      Oklahoma City
                      22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                      Weber 22.5 Performer
                      GOSM 3405gw
                      Boomer Sooner Drum
                      Maverick ET-732
                      Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                      A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

I buy the 5$ ones at walmart and they have the nut on the back that you calibrate it with.

Comment

there's a nut on the back of this one i got is that what it's for?

just put it in boiling water and move the needle to 212?

Comment

Originally posted by bigun94 View Post
                            there's a nut on the back of this one i got is that what it's for?

just put it in boiling water and move the needle to 212?
                            Yes exactly and just make sure your not touching the pot with the end of it.

Comment

Well I didn't calibrate the thermometer. Just put it on temporarily tonight.

I pressed forward with a test smoke tonight. I did half a rack of ribs and some ole freezer burnt chicken wings I found in the freezer last month.

The ribs are awesome. Wings were decent but I just doused them in lawrys and put em on. They got done way quicker than I expected.

The heat built way up to 320 while I dunked around getting the wings off and ribs wrapped in foil at the 2 hr mark.

The foil for 45 min made the ribs freaking awesome. I snapped a pic I'll get it posted tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X