Looking for a decent slicer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a decent slicer

Hey gang, got a question about purchasing a slicer. Probably only going to use it for slicing beef for sammies, canadian bacon, maybe some cheese, nothing real big. Looking for advice and not wanting to spend a ton. On the other hand, don't want a piece of poop either. Something decent, but certainly not professional. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

I second BBQ Derek - we purchased that same slicer about 5yrs ago for $80 at Fleet Farm and have been very happy with it. We have never sliced cheese on it though.
    Where to Shop -
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
    https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

"Shes going to teach me how to use it this weekend."

What's there to teach? You just slap a chunk of meat or cheese in it, turn it on and move the deck back and forth gradually slicing your fingers into thin slices.

Comment

Just an FYI: Cheese is really hard on slicers. Even the light duty commercial models will have problems with it. If you plan on slicing a lot of cheese, don't plan on a cheap slicer lasting very long.
        Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

They are fine for hard cheese's, but not soft or crumbly cheeses, make for a sticky mess to clean up. Sprayed the blade once with Pam and tried to do Brie. :)
          Lang 84 Deluxe
          Backwoods Pro Jr.
          2 WSM's
          Charbroil gasser

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys, appreciate it. I'm not in a big hurry to buy one and just wanted some opinions. I had heard before that cheese slicers were expensive and that's not my main concern anyway. It would be nice to have a decent one on hand for bottom rounds, pork loins, etc.
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

That looks like a rebadged Graef to me - which was what I was going to suggest. And I know chef's choice do sell rebadged graef's.
              If it's made in germany then you're good to go

And if it is a graef it'll use a direct drive wormgear drive which will have no problems with cheese.

The graef classic 180:

Definitely looks like the same manufacturer.
              And at $99 that's a serious deal
              Go for it !
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Don't know how you feel about ebay, but as you probably know, things made back in the day were usually built a bit tougher.

I got this a couple months back. One nice thing about it, ALL METAL GEARS. I don't believe any of the newer smaller style slicers out there today use em, just plastic. This one is the model 1101-E. I have used it to slice paper thin slices of pastrami, up to thick cuts for jerky. Take it nice and slow and she cuts perfect without bogging down. Just my .02

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post

Well if you know the movie, then you can relate.

Actually, my phone books came last year, but today came my new slicer.
                Not a top notch one, but a decent one for the price.
                9 bucks brand new, never used. Off ebay. Opened it up, PERFECT. Lost my bid on a online auction site by 4 dollars on a nice used Hobart so I had to get something quick.
                Sliced a few passes on some sirloin. Oh yeah, gonna be allot easier than using the old knife when it comes time to slicing bacon and such.

https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                  Just an FYI: Cheese is really hard on slicers. Even the light duty commercial models will have problems with it. If you plan on slicing a lot of cheese, don't plan on a cheap slicer lasting very long.
                  Not so if you do one small thing; from the fridge, put your block of cheese in the freezer for 5 minutes max and you'll have no problems. I run cheese through my Rival all the time without any issues.

Last edited by Mikey; 02-04-2011, 01:39 PM.
                  sigpic
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  New Braunfels Hondo
                  4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                  1-26" Weber Kettle
                  24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                  Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Derek
                    I have another food slicer question.

What is the best way to clean the slicer for the first time?
                    Per the FAQ at http://www.chefschoice.com/faqslicers.html

Please refer to your instruction manual for complete cleaning instructions.
                    sigpic
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    New Braunfels Hondo
                    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                    1-26" Weber Kettle
                    24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                    Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

I have another food slicer question.

What is the best way to clean the slicer for the first time?
                      Un-plugged....
                      sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Originally posted by DangerDan View Post
                        Un-plugged....

I just wipe mine down - takes about a minute.
                        Don't put it in the sink !
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Derek, I learned alot too, these people are great! I have a store near here that sells Chef's Choice and apparently have the model mentioned in stock so I will check that out soon. As far as Ebay, I realize there are deals to be had, but I have had some problems dealing there in the past and would rather buy new from a store with a reputation and a return policy. Appreciate everyone's response, you guys rock!

sigpic
                          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Good one!

sigpic
                            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                              I just wipe mine down - takes about a minute.
                              Don't put it in the sink !
                              Same here. After I remove the blade cover the switch becomes disabled and it won't run. Not sure about the home use models.
                              I have had to spray mine down once with the sink sprayer attachment before. It was pretty gunked from slicing a shit load of meat though.

Yup I don't like ebay or Craigslists.com. for that matter.
                              I got my globe slicer from an ad on craigs. A great slicer for the price.

Probably more than you want to spend but I bet there's room to barter.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/app/2184100595.html
                              http://southjersey.craigslist.org/bfs/2186442267.html
                              sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Working...
                              X