First Run at Smoked Cheese... Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Run at Smoked Cheese... Questions

Ok, I have read a lot of the threads on smoked cheese and want to give it a shot! I am going to try a few different cheeses, and will be using apple and pecan wood chips. I have a smoke daddy attached to my fridge smoker (this relates to one of the questions).

I do have a few questions though...

It is 20* here in Nebraska and I don't have a controller for my heating element yet (didn't want it to be 300*). A lot of threads talk about 80* and no higher for obvious reasons! My smoke daddy will put a very small amount of heat if any into the chamber. So the question is can I smoke cheese if the internal temp of the smoker is 30*? Or is that too cold?

I guess that was only one question

Thanks
    Phil
    Last edited by Weekend Warrior; 02-05-2011, 11:50 AM.

I would think 30 deg. will be too cool. You want the cheese at or around room temperature. The cheese kinda opens its pores so to speak, and allows some smoke penetration. As you alluded, you don't want too warm, it will start to melt. I have found that the temp right before it starts to "sweat" seems to work the best. I would bet a coffee can or small pan with just a couple of briquets will do the job for you.
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
      I would think 30 deg. will be too cool. You want the cheese at or around room temperature. The cheese kinda opens its pores so to speak, and allows some smoke penetration. As you alluded, you don't want too warm, it will start to melt. I have found that the temp right before it starts to "sweat" seems to work the best. I would bet a coffee can or small pan with just a couple of briquets will do the job for you.
      Good Idea!
      Thanks

Comment

Long as you don't listen to Rich.. You see that mess he called smoked Cheese?? Sheesh!
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
          Long as you don't listen to Rich.. You see that mess he called smoked Cheese?? Sheesh!
          I saw that
          I figured he was making nachos and just having the cheese melt down onto the chips. I didn't see any chips though

Huh theres an idea smoked chips and cheese
          Maybe Rich is onto something!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
            If Your Eyes Start Burning, Look Away From The Screen...... This Is For Your Own Safety!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
              just what he said. I tried some cheese when it was about 10 degrees out and it didnt really penetrate. Put a little heat into the smoker though and it went fine. Good luck...I love that cheese pic of Rich's....guess my cheese was just the opposite and frozen still
              ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Leave it to Fish to accentuate the negative...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Notice how Rich has the bottom grate on his smoker wrapped in foil just in case?
                  Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                    Notice how Rich has the bottom grate on his smoker wrapped in foil just in case?

Comment

Working...
                    X