scampi alla griglia ("shrimp scampi")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scampi alla griglia ("shrimp scampi")

This wonderful dish has is origins in Venezia (Venice), which lies in the Veneto region of north-eastern Italy. In reading Time/Life's Foods of the World - The Cooking of Italy (1968), I learned that Venice was literally built on food, and came across some dazzling accounts of the Grand Canal in Venice as well as a description of Veneto's place in Italian cuisine:

[The modern] traveler steps through the station portals and lo - instead of a teeming, landlocked square, there are half a dozen wide steps stretching the whole length of the building and leading down into water. Along the bottom of the steps, the tall bows of gondolas bob up and down in the choppy wakes of motor boats. Before the eye lies the incredible spectacle of the Grand Canal, which Goethe called "the most beautiful street in the world." It leads to the culinary center of the city, the Piazza San Marco, which Napoleon, another traveler given to superlatives, characterized as the most elegant ballroom in Europe. On the canal, in the piazza itself and in the narrow streets behind the bell tower of St. Mark's basilica are some of the finest restaurants in Europe.

Almost all the buildings on the Grand Canal, except the churches and public edifices, are palaces. They remain the substantive evidence of the tremendous riches of Venice, reminders that this, in its medieval heyday, was the most brilliant, the most glittering, the most spectacular city in the world, the city that once "held the gorgeous East in fee." Its wealth and its palaces were built on trade monopolies in what were then rare foods: sugar, salt, pepper, spices, coffee. And the city that supplied these commodities to the rest of European world made lavish use of them at home, establishing a subtle and ingenious school of cooking - a finished cuisine enriched by the contributions from the lands brought under the control of Venice when her riches and power were at their height.

Of the three regions associated with Venice, only Veneto, where the city lies, has pure Italian cooking. The cooking of the Trentino-Alto Adige region, to the northwest, once owned by Austria-Hungary, is largely Austro-German. Still farther afield, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, which occupies part of the Dalmatian coast in the neighborhood of Trieste, offers overtones of Austrian, Hungarian, Slavic and Balkan cuisines on its menus. These influences are a natural consequence of the fact that Venice once controlled the entire Yugoslav coast and Trieste was once the Austro-Hungarian Empire's Adriatic seaport.
    WikiPedia does a good job of explaining the term, "scampi:"

Scampi is a culinary name for some species of prawn, notably the 'true' scampi Nephrops norvegicus, and is also used as a name for a style of preparation of these lobsters and other seafood. In India, 'freshwater scampi' refers to the shrimp Macrobrachium rosenbergii....In Ireland, the United Kingdom and the USA, the word has come to define the method of preparation rather than the ingredient, although referring to quite different methods.

In the USA, "scampi" is often the menu name for shrimp in Italian-American cuisine (the actual word for "shrimp" in Italian is gambero or gamberetto, plural gamberi or gamberetti[3]). The term "scampi", by itself, is also the name of a dish of shrimp served in garlic butter and dry white wine, served either with bread, or over pasta or rice. The word "scampi" is often construed as that style of preparation rather than an ingredient, with that preparation being called "shrimp scampi", and with variants such as "chicken scampi".

In the UK and Ireland, "scampi" refers to the full flesh of a Norway lobster, deep fried in batter and breadcrumbs. "Whole tail" scampi is always made with Norway lobster, but other seafood such as monkfish tails may be used where this is not stated.
    And Time/Life goes on to provide some elaboration:

Scampi are served in a seeming infinity of fashions: they can, for instance, be combined with other forms of seafood, in a brodetto, rolled in slices of ham, or boiled, cooled and served with a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Scampi can be baked in the oven or fried, or - as I have grown to prefer them over the years - grilled in butter and garlic. The American cook need not be worried about not being able to buy genuine Venetian scampi: anything that can be done with them can also be done with [shrimp available in America].

Here is the recipe, provided by Time/Life:

Scampi alla Griglia
    Broiled Shrimp with Garlic Butter

To serve 6:

2 lbs. large fresh shrimp in their shells or defrosted frozen shrimp
    8 Tbsp. (1 quarter-pound stick) of butter
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1/4 cup finely-chopped shallots or scallions
    1 Tbsp. finely-chopped garlic
    1 tsp. salt
    Freshly-ground black pepper
    4 Tbsp. finely-chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
    Lemon quarters

Shell the shrimp, but be careful not to remove the last small segment of shell or the tail. With a small, sharp knife, slit each shrimp down the back and lift out the black or white intestinal vein. Wash the shrimp quickly under cold running water and pat them thoroughly dry with paper towels.

Preheat the broiler to its highest temperature. In a shallow flame-proof baking dish or pan just large enough to hold the shrimp in one layer, melt the butter over low heat, and be careful not to let it brown. Stir in the 1/2 cup of olive oil, lemon juice, shallots, garlic, salt and and a few grindings of pepper, add the shrimp and turn them in the butter and oil until they glisten on all sides. Broil them 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 5 minutes, then turn the shrimp over and broil them for 5 to 10 minites longer, or until they are lightly browned and firm to the touch. Be careful not to overcook them.

With tongs, transfer the shrimp to a heated serving platter, pour the sauce from the pan over them, and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Garnish with lemon quarters, and serve.
    And here is a direct link to my original post on Scampi alla Griglia, which includes a ton of historical research as well as many nice, step-by-step photos of the preparation:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards...._topic846.html

Finally, here is a shot of this wonderful meal served on a bed of angel hair pasta:

If you try this, I hope you enjoy it!
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Now I would eat that up. Looks awesome...
    Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Real nice!...Venice is awesome, been there many times & food/wine was amazing....I do appreciate the recipe!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Nice!! One of my favorite dishes.
        Keith

Comment

Hmmm I double the garlic... LOL! It's one of my faves... right up there with veal marsala!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I could do some damage to a plate of that.
            Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

I'm making this soon. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                LOL! It's one of my faves... right up there with veal marsala!
                YES!!! Rich you got a good V marsala rec you wanna share??? used to eat it at a resto my late uncle owned way back and loved it. never had it since...

Oh, Taz... some pretty nice lookin shrimps there too!!!
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI
                Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Did they really take ten minutes under the broiler?
                  Keith

Comment

hey, king - as i recall, they did take a little longer - i don't remember exactly how long. i was going for the buttery-brown broiled look, and since they were frozen, pre-cooked shrimp (i love montana, but there are a few disadvantages) it was a tricky line to walk. end results did taste wonderful, in spite of a few slightly-sub-par ingredients (such as the shrimp, also using bottled lemon juice rather than fresh, and wal-mart ground pepper rather than fresh-cracked).

my link shows step-by-steps of the prep. definitely a strongly-recommended dish and method ~

and rich, doubling the garlic would surely NOT be a problem!
                    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Good looking plate of food right there Just had lunch but the appitite just returned

Comment

and since they were frozen, pre-cooked shrimp (i love montana, but there are a few disadvantages) it was a tricky line to walk. end results did taste wonderful, in spite of a few slightly-sub-par ingredients (such as the shrimp,
                        Even being only 4 hours from the gulf coast, all of our shrimp is previously frozen. Probably a good thing. The grocery stores dump the frozen bags of shrimp in the cases so they look fresh. If you can buy a whole bag at a time, you can buy them still frozen solid (you have to ask and they will get one out of the back). This is a much better option than buying the thawed ones that have been lying in the case.
                        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                          This is a much better option than buying the thawed ones that have been lying in the case.
                          good point!
                          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Of course I don't have a recipe... heh! I'll try and get something written down for ya E. Probably one out there if I went and looked close to what I do. I'll go take a peek in a bit and send ya some info.

Sorry for the Hi-jack T
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

no apologies necessary, believe me, i am looking forward to a good recipe for veal marsala!

only problem is, veal is damn hard to get around here ~ as in - impossible. may try it with wild game or another meat.
                              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Working...
                              X