winner winner chicken dinner...in about 9 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winner winner chicken dinner...in about 9 weeks

A friend of mine and I decided to try to raise some meat birds.
    I have had friends raise the CornishX birds for meat and I didn't think they were that great. Also, it was really pathetic how they couldn't move hardly after 6 or 7 weeks.

We heard of this http://www.randallburkey.com/Color-R...uctinfo/80239/ type of meat bird.
    On paper it sounds better than the CornishX, so to find out we did the logical thing; we ordered 15 chicks.

It was hard to get a photo with the heat lamp. As they grow I'll get more pics. They are more active already than the CornishX chicks that I have seen.
    Thanks for looking at my chicks!
    Last edited by moselle; 02-18-2011, 04:56 PM.
    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Very cool!!! Don't start naming them now!!
    Where to Shop -
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
    https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

ahhhh....pluck im dunk im and deep fry im...LOL can wait to see them grow
      sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
      members mark upright propane smoker
      kingsford bbq
      23"weber kettle

Comment

Wow moselle, you never cease to amaze me!

Mmmmmmm... chicken!!!!!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

leghorns are a great meat bird too, they dont get that big but less fat and great tasting bird... only bird my mom would raise.
          Charbroil SFB
          GOSM
          MES
          Dutch Ovens and other CI
          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

So.....how do I get a dinner invite in 9 weeks???
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Good Luck Mo
              sigpic

Comment

Dang it Mo girl! You're just all kinds of self sufficient! I don't know if I could do it, I'd have them all named by now and sleeping in my room.

Comment

i couldnt do this i just fell in love with them just by looking at the pics they are so cute....9 weeks huh....maybe you will change your mind and keep them ....
                  Mike
                  Oklahoma City
                  22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                  Weber 22.5 Performer
                  GOSM 3405gw
                  Boomer Sooner Drum
                  Maverick ET-732
                  Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                  A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
                    i couldnt do this i just fell in love with them just by looking at the pics they are so cute....9 weeks huh....maybe you will change your mind and keep them ....
                    Chit... on the barbie NOW!
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Been thinkin bout a coop & Morgan wants yardbirds...Louie is fine with it...Got some varmint's...gotta go....
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Awesome....I remember the ole days of collecting the eggs and putting them in the brooder...raised some nice buff orpington's and rhode island reds...
                        Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

These guys are breed to mature in 9 to 11 weeks. They grow incredibly fast.
                          The 'yard birds' you get at the store are all 6 to 8 weeks old.

There is no concept of 'keeping' them. They would have broken legs from carrying too much weight or have heart attacks if we didn't harvest them and let them keep growing.

They are cute now though. I'll keep taking pictures.
                          Thanks for looking,
                          Mo

Comment

Keep us posted on your progress. I am interested in how it works out for you.
                            We used to raise Cornish X Rocks for meat. If you don't process them in 8 weeks or less, they are to tough to eat. And they are very lacking in flavor, no matter when you butcher them. Now we incubate our own for laying, and eat the roosters.
                            Don't make the same mistake we made about 12 years ago. Those meat birds are bred to eat and gain weight. They have to have food available 24-7.
                            I would like to see how well, if at all, a meat breed free ranges.
                            Good luck with your chickens, and let me know if you need any help, as we've been raising chickens since we were little tikes.

Tom

Comment

We want to have them free range, at least walk around and peck.
                              They will have food available 24-7.
                              I'll keep you posted.
                              I think the best tasting chicken I have ever had were some of the dual purpose old hens I just harvested. Like the buff orpingtons and the Astrolorps were delish!

Comment

Working...
                              X