Crawfish Boil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawfish Boil

Well, we have had some great weather and it just seemed like the thing to do. Get everyone together and have some bugs. So, I had 20 lbs flown in and we went to town. Had 18 people over including the little ones so some ate bugs, corn, red potatoes, with some red beans and rice, others mac and cheese, LOL.

The boil:

Served:

And the eating, the best part:

It was a great time and a chance to get caught up with some friends and family. Oh by the way, it was damn good even if I do say so myself, LOL.

Thanks for looking.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Looks great and fun too.........

Comment

OMG, I have not had a pile of mudbugs like that since we were visiting relatives down in Louisiana years ago. THAT is some good eats right there.
      They look perfect
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Thanks guys. They were very good.

As to the question about the color, these were like most I have had either doing them myself or out in town. Some darl ones in there as they had harder shells.

I think part of the issue is the time of year/season. The season just really started and the shells are soft due to colder temps. As spring/summer approaches, the seson ends and the shells get darker and much harder. They become much harder to peel. I might be wrong in terms of the color but those are my thoughts.

As an example, here are some bugs from late last spring. You can see they are darker and still alive in this case. They were pretty good but some serious effort was given to get at the tail meat. They had very hard shells.

Pete
          Large BGE
          Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Looks great Pete... It is Mud Bug Season.. Seems none of the stores around me have any in yet... I hate the waiting..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Looks great, Pete. Dark or light, I'd take a plate full of those.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Oh Man oh man oh man - that's what I'm talkin bout
                Haven't had me a boil in years. I do shrimp pretty regular but not bugs I guess I'll have to get some ordered! fer bugs!
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Nice!!
                  I am waiting for some warmer weather and a reduction in price. Seeing those pictures just make me want some bugs even more.
                  what kind of seasoning did you use?
                  Stumps Baby
                  Bubba Keg Convection Grill
                  Digi Q
                  Gasser with 4+ yrs of dust
                  Custom end grain cutting board
                  Superfast Yellow Thermapen
                  18 " Smoke Vault
                  12" AMNTS
                  AMNPS
                  Newbie beer brewer

Comment

nice looking boil,

the early season mudbugs I have had were good, just a little small.

35 of us knocked out 250#'s a couple weeks ago in about an hour and a half.
                    Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

wonder if anyone here up north eats the crawfish from up here or are they different??? . i know lake vermillion has a ton of them in the rocks...

nice lookin cook pete!!!
                      Last edited by erain; 02-13-2011, 05:38 PM.
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI
                      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                        wonder if anyone here up noth eats the crawfish from up here or are they different??? . i know lake vermillion has a ton of them in the rocks...

nice lookin cook pete!!!
                        We ate them after trapping some in my Aquatic Inverts class in college. They were good, but small, and you don't get them in the numbers like they do down south. Outta 4 traps, we got about 20 big enough to consider eating.
                        Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Awesome looking crawfish...well done.
                          Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Very nice on the boil, Able!~ Crawfish are tasty little critters.

Originally posted by erain View Post
                            wonder if anyone here up noth eats the crawfish from up here or are they different??? . i know lake vermillion has a ton of them in the rocks...

nice lookin cook pete!!!
                            I would say, Nope! I've eaten them in LA and CO and they taste the same. If you want to catch any to speak of, you need a trap, Erain.

I've built several, but here is what I bought my dad and my brother and they work very good for crawdads.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003F0PI7C/...C&linkCode=asn

Comment

Working...
                            X