Offset question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offset question

I have a Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, which is an offset smoker with a big tower to place/hang meats. When I bought it, I was intending on using charcoal briquettes but soon learned I couldn't get enough heat. I switched to wood and get pleny of heat now. I am able to regulate the heat easy enough with wood. My question is if I switch to lump and put it in a basket, will I get enough heat to keep it going at least 225 degrees? Regular charcoal won't cut it, I tried several times. I would rather switch to lump and use wood chunks than burn straight wood where I get alot of white smoke. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Yes you can... What type of thermometer are you using for the smoke chamber..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

The one supplied on the chamber is inaccurate I know. I tested it with a Maverick last Summer and have since bought 2 new ET-732's whch I haven't used yet in this smoker. We still have snow melting and have been using my MES.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

SOB when I was using my Chargriller I had the same situation...Coals alone arent hot enough and a straight up wood fire was too much...I had to find a balance of adding unlit coal to the fire and also burning wood too...Keeping a clean burning fire that is small enough to not need to restrict the airflow (causing the ugly smoke) is a challenge but the results are worth every bit of the time you spend doing it...
        Smoke on
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

I would think lump will do you good, however if it doesn't try burning some wood before it goes into your smoker. Make a burn pit out of a 55 gallon drum and some expanded metal. I'm sure someone has one here, if not google it....good luck

on edit: i just looked at what type smoker you got and I can't believe charcoal won't get it up to temps. even tho I wouldn't use charcoal do to the taste. Maybe something else is going on? Hopefully someone who has one like yours can chime in
          Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
          I have a Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, which is an offset smoker with a big tower to place/hang meats. When I bought it, I was intending on using charcoal briquettes but soon learned I couldn't get enough heat. I switched to wood and get pleny of heat now. I am able to regulate the heat easy enough with wood. My question is if I switch to lump and put it in a basket, will I get enough heat to keep it going at least 225 degrees? Regular charcoal won't cut it, I tried several times. I would rather switch to lump and use wood chunks than burn straight wood where I get alot of white smoke. Anyone have any thoughts?
          Jerod
          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
          sigpic

Comment

Your BSKD is identical to my Bandera with one exception. Your firebox is on the left and mine is on the right. One of the design flaws in both units is the firebox is about twice as big as it needs to be. Short of reinventing the wheel, I did the next best thing which was to reduce the size (volume) of the lid. I also insulated it with 1" thick ceramic fiber board.

The other thing is to fab yourself a nice charcoal basket. Have it sit on the bottom runners which will give you plenty of clearance underneath for ash when you do the long smokes. You can see how much clearance there is. I put my chunks in the bottom and let em warm up, then feed em as I need em. No billowy white smoke. Hope this helps you out.
            sigpic
            New Braunfels Bandera
            New Braunfels Hondo
            4-22.5" Weber Kettles
            1-26" Weber Kettle
            24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
            Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Thanks Mikey, I am assuming you are using charcoal then?

sigpic
              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Thanks Mikey, I am assuming you are using charcoal then?
                I only use enough charcoal (half a chimney) to get my wood burning. Wood chunks all the way.
                The other area that needs to be addressed is the firebox door. It leaks like a sieve and air control is piss poor at best. I'll be replacing the door with a piece of 1/4" plate and two 4" ball valves for air control. The only access to the innards of the firebox will be through the top.
                sigpic
                New Braunfels Bandera
                New Braunfels Hondo
                4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

Mikey, I really appreciate the advice, I can see now what you are talking about since you illustrated it. There are a few minor differences in our smokers but after looking at mine closer tonight, I now know what I have to do. My goal is to burn lump and add wood chunks for flavor, and with your advice I see that happening. Can't thank you enough. You are da man!

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Can't thank you enough. You are da man!
                    You're more than welcome. "You are da man" Not sure about that one, but one other thing I forgot to mention was a baffle between the firebox opening and the chamber. This deflects the heat to the center of the chamber and keeps the majority of the heat from going up the right side, but in your case it would be the left.

sigpic
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    New Braunfels Hondo
                    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                    1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

Yes, that one I have seen before and will rig something up. I ordered a charcoal basket already and will do something with the lid. Again, thanks for helping me understand.

sigpic
                      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                      X