Small Plot Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Plot Garden

So we've got about a 4' x 12' strip along our yard that we've never really known what to do with. I think I've convinced my wife to give a little vegetable garden a shot again. We've tried it before with limited success. So any suggestions on what to do with it and what to plant are welcomed. It is bounded on the east by a 3' sidewalk, chainlink fence and neighbors hedge to the east, my shop on the south, which blocks a fair amount of direct sun through the heat of the day, and the house att. garage on the north. Kinda leaning toward salad veg. mostly I suppose, maybe some sweet corn if you think it would work. Also interested in staging some things.
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Doesn't sound like you have the exposure for things like tomatos, or peppers. You should be able to do radishes, carrots, lettuces/greens, peas, kohlrabi and maybe others as well. I wouldn't bother with corn in that small of a plot. For what you would get(if the birds and critters don't get it first) its not really worth it.
    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Bang for the buck- herbs!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
        Doesn't sound like you have the exposure for things like tomatos, or peppers. You should be able to do radishes, carrots, lettuces/greens, peas, kohlrabi and maybe others as well. I wouldn't bother with corn in that small of a plot. For what you would get(if the birds and critters don't get it first) its not really worth it.
        Might get enough sun for tomatos, your right about the peppers for sure. Too bad, because for me, tomatos are one of the biggest bangs for your buck. Still got jars from just 3 plants from the season before last. Might be worth a try Jim. Corn? Yeah, no I planted just 5 once and was horribly disappointed. They need to cross pollinate and I planted my row perpendicular to the prevailing winds. Lesson learned.
        Herbs is good too Rich
        JT

Comment

The one thing I left out depends on how patient you are, and how long you plan on living there: Asparagus. Wallyworld has been selling 2 year old roots the last few years, for cheap. BUT, you have to wait at least a year before your first harvest, and even then restrain yourself. Once the roots get established though, your good for 20 years of speargrass every spring....
          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Asparagus is a great idea. Herbs too will do ok in a little shade.
            Radishes and lettuce are really fast crops. It is hard for new gardeners to be disciplined enough to replant and keep up with harvest.
            You will get your harvest in about 45 days then you will need to replant at least 2 or 3 times if you want to have something growing all summer....really a lot for a new gardener in my experience.
            my 2 cents.
            "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

I have a 5 X 20 raised garden. This will be my third year of having it and I'm still figuring out what grows best in it. I agree with Irish...I wouldn't waste your time with corn. My garden doesn't get too much sun but I've had good luck with zucchinis, tomatoes, and green beans.

Here was the first year:

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3330

And the second year:

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8111

Been thinking about this year and I'm thinking I'm going mostly with zucchini, yellow squash and green beans. I usually let the green beans produce twice then pull up the plants and plant new seeds.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and keep us updated.
              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Almost no veggies will grow in full shade but some can grow in partial shade. You might have a hard time growing anything tight up against the north side of your garage unless it gets morning (east) sun and evening (west ) sun, but some things will grow well if they get that type of exposure. Such as:

Salad Greens, such as leaf lettuce, arugula, endive, and cress.
                Broccoli
                Cauliflower
                Peas
                Beets
                Brussels Sprouts
                Radishes
                Swiss Chard
                Leafy Greens, such as collards, mustard greens, spinach, and kale
                Bush Beans

If you do want to grow tomatoes and peppers I'd suggest putting them up closest to your house so you get the reflected heat and light from it. If you want to grow something that vines like cukes and/or squash, put a 4 ft wide trellis or fencing across the 4 ft north side of your garden near the house and plant so the plants can grow up it, then put your 'maters and peppers just south of that.

Comment

Working...
                X