Salted me a sirloin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salted me a sirloin

Been reading about this for a while. so I thought I'd give it a try today.Was going to try it out on a couple round steaks since thiere about as tough as they come but ended up pulling out a couple sirloins instead.After thawing out I completeley coverd both sides with kosher salt and let them sit for an hr.then rinsed them off patted them dry and let em sit for another half hr.fired up the charcoal webber and grilled them for 4 min each side for med rare.mixed with a baked spud and some brockley .man am I stuffed now.My conclusion is that they were wonderfly salted you actually could taste the salt through and through.not to much just tasty .and as far as tenderness goes you could cut them with a butter knife ,but,they were pretty tender steaks to begin with.but I will do it again .Next time with tougher round steaksTHanks for listening Bill.
    Attached Files
    2-22.5'' weber
    1-18'' weber
    1 smokey joe
    22.5'' wsm
    24'' smoke vault
    1-outhouse
    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
    Smoked meathead #135

Been wondering about this method.
    You say not too salty?
    Be sure to report back to us on the tougher steaks.
    I have a freezer full, maybe I'll do some experimenting myself. All my round was tenderized though.

Tom

Comment

the salt thing sounds intersting!!!! been hearing about it for a bit now. yours sounds and looks good. might have to give it a try!!! great job Bill!!!
      Charbroil SFB
      GOSM
      MES
      Dutch Ovens and other CI
      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the post Bill, I have heard conflicting stories about this method and I am just gonna have to man up and try it!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I've done the salt gig! I like it....To me it needs to rest & be cold.
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
            Been wondering about this method.
            You say not too salty?
            Be sure to report back to us on the tougher steaks.
            I have a freezer full, maybe I'll do some experimenting myself. All my round was tenderized though.
            Gunny..I have tried it. Include some spice in the rub... the osmosis carries it in to some amount.

I did some porters about a month ago like this and they passed muster- check it out.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks great. The only thing that would concern me is what if it is too salty.
              Gonna have to try it and find out I guess.
              Thanks for sharing.
              sigpic

Comment

I was really worried about the to salty effect also but I was pleasantley surprised that they were not to salty.that was my opinion .But the wife thought they were just a little on the salty side.But she really thinks everything is to salty.Like I said I will do it again with a little tougher piece of meat.
                2-22.5'' weber
                1-18'' weber
                1 smokey joe
                22.5'' wsm
                24'' smoke vault
                1-outhouse
                Smoked meathead #135

Comment

glad they turned out for you, looks like something to try out! thanks for posting it

Comment

Nice job. I'll have to give it a try next time I do steaks on the grill.
                    Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
                    1 Maverick ET-73
                    1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Thanks for the update. I have been wanting to give this a try myself.

Comment

There is a restaurant that salts for the 24hours prior. From what I hear they are great. I am not disputing your method but the show I saw said that an hour wasn't enough.

I will give your method a try. Thanks for posting it! Where were you reading about this. I can't remember where I saw the 24 hour method.
                        "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
                        PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/0...i-prime-steaks

Well I can't find anything on that longer process. Maybe I dreamed it but I did find this good explanation on the 1 hour process.
                          "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
                          PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

Originally posted by Vlap View Post
                            http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/0...i-prime-steaks

Well I can't find anything on that longer process. Maybe I dreamed it but I did find this good explanation on the 1 hour process.
                            Thats the same info I had
                            2-22.5'' weber
                            1-18'' weber
                            1 smokey joe
                            22.5'' wsm
                            24'' smoke vault
                            1-outhouse
                            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Working...
                            X