gas fired uds ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas fired uds ?

Okay pretty much decided on a big uds. Got all the bits being sorted, drum not a problem ;-)

But after looking through these threads it occurs that you lot are using a helluva lot of charcoal.
    Now - particularly at the moment - running costs are a pretty major consideration for me. And lump wood charcoal is quite pricey. Charcoal briquettes are cheaper. But given the quantities that seem to be being burnt round the forum - it probably wouldn't work out much cheaper than running the bradley (about $1.50 an hour) - but with less actual capacity.
    Propane is cheap, burns very efficiently and on an hourly basis got to be cheaper to run.
    I also like the convenience of having an on off switch.
    Plus see no reason why a gas uds couldn't also have a charcoal basket for it as well.
    So I'm thinking a dual fuel hybrid kind of thing.

So: anyone made a gas fired uds and if so, how does it differ from a charcoal one.
    Cheers :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-23-2009, 08:42 AM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

I can get away with at least 12 hours @ 250° with about 10 lbs of lump. I imagine you could get away with LP, but the beauty of a UDS is it's fuel efficency.
    ~Brian~
    GLBBQA Member KCBS Member and CBJ
    BBQ Jones Comp Team

Comment

yes and no 10lbs of lumpwood charcoal runs at about £5 a bag with charcoal briquettes being about £3 a bag.
      Although the briquettes do give of unpleasant smoke to start with - so I'm not keen on using them in a smoker.
      My average smoke to date has been around 4-5 hours.

Given that it's going to be bloody difficult to add more charcoal if needed (say I stop being a chicken and do some pulled pork ;-).
      You're pretty much always going to burn more charcoal than necessary.

Okay for a long burn it's probably going to work out more economical than the bradley - but I still reckon gas would be cheaper still.
      Plus you get the option of going with either.
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Joneser View Post
        I can get away with at least 12 hours @ 250° with about 10 lbs of lump. I imagine you could get away with LP, but the beauty of a UDS is it's fuel efficency.
        What he said.^^

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
        Given that it's going to be bloody difficult to add more charcoal if needed (say I stop being a chicken and do some pulled pork ;-).
        No need to add more fuel during a cook.

I did 10 pounds (there abouts) of pork butts on about 6 pounds of charcoal. Held 250ish for 10 hours. Don't know how that would work out price wise for ya.

One thing that may be tricky is getting/keeping enough oxygen in the bottom of the drum to keep the burner going. Would take a little bit differnet set up than the "standard" (if there is such a thing) UDS intake and exhaust configuration, I imagine. I know on my SnP, when I had too many tuning plates in place it actually caused problems with draft and the burner would starve for air and go out.

Maybe one of the propane burner gurus can chime in.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I bought a "Afterburner" for my Charbroil H2O and have thought about using it in my drum. Here's the website if you don't already have it. Would love to see how it works..

http://gassmoker.com/v-burner.htm
          www.nopigleftbehind.com
          -----------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
            yes and no 10lbs of lumpwood charcoal runs at about £5 a bag with charcoal briquettes being about £3 a bag.
            Although the briquettes do give of unpleasant smoke to start with - so I'm not keen on using them in a smoker.
            My average smoke to date has been around 4-5 hours.

Okay for a long burn it's probably going to work out more economical than the bradley - but I still reckon gas would be cheaper still.
            Plus you get the option of going with either.
            £3 for how many lbs of briquettes? Because if it's 10 lbs, that's less than I pay. And £5 which should be around 7.30 US, is a lot less than I pay for lump.

And what do you mean by "say I stop being a chicken and do some pulled pork?" All the stuff you've smoked and posted here and at SMF and you're afraid of a pork butt? Dude, you can't mess up a butt.

I do like the idea of having the option though. That link I gave you for the log lighter would be perfect.

Tom

Comment

You want to put gas in a drum is fine but PLEASE don't use the UDS name because thats not what your building.

!0 lbs of charcoal will last 14-16 hrs easy...what can't be done in that time besides maybe a chuck roll?

If you install gas, you'll need a whole different venting set-up that won't work with charcoal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
                If you install gas, you'll need a whole different venting set-up that won't work with charcoal.
                Wouldn't you just close the intake vents?
                I'm sure his plan would be to install some type of wood chip pan.
                I'm just trying to help. But, never mind, I'm not ready to reveal.

Tom

Comment

You want to put gas in a drum is fine but PLEASE don't use the UDS name because thats not what your building.
                  Bubba- the dudes drive on the wrong side of the road too... gotta be a conncetion, ya think?
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

EZ,er to do the Coffin. As a Funeral Director look at all the viewings you will have!
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I thought UDS meant Ugly Drum Smoker....not sure I understand why it can't mean using charcoal or gas. There's certainly nothing in the title to indicate charcoal in my opinion.
                      www.nopigleftbehind.com
                      -----------------------------

Comment

I don't have drum yet (working on Groth's list about shoes but expect damage on that one unless I lie) but I have read a bunch here and am convinced that that charcoal\Lump and enough meat to make it worth your time will bring down the total cost without experimenting with gas, coal, oil or Nuclear and not being satisfied using a proven system that works well. IMHO and still working on the basic sell.

Comment

KISS= keep it simple stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                            EZ,er to do the Coffin. As a Funeral Director look at all the viewings you will have!
                            That's funny. Funeral Director......you're killin' me.

Tom

Comment

CA if you're doing it to save on the cost of fuel, that's one thing but if you're doing it because you think it will be more convenient, I gotta tell ya, -- once you get a charcoal UDS lit, it is almost like cooking with gas. They run for a very long time and you don't have to futz with 'em much if at all.

I believe Bubba once posted somewhere:
                              1. Light drum
                              2. Insert meat.
                              3. Close drum.
                              4. Walk away.
                              Try it with charcoal first. I think you'll be amazed. You could always switch it to gas afterward.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave
                              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                              UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                              -
                              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                              X